1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Missouri Other

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 08:28 AM   #31
Julsouthbranson

I've lived here for 16 years.
We live about 4 miles from the dam on Table Rock Lake. To get to SDC only takes 20 min (unless your following a few huge RVs that aren't use to our narrow, curvy, hilly roads).
I absolutely love where I live. I'm close enough to be in Branson at the drop of a hat, yet I have a beautiful view and am far enough removed from the tourist aspect of living here.
We bought our beautiful house just 3 months before "the big boom growth" of Branson - the appraised value doubled within 6 mts and has doubled again.

To be honest, the area has a lot of people that move in and out. I think thats improved alot just the last few years. Jobs are so much better now.
In '90 I was a manager of a bank and when I'd have a job opening I'd have over 80 applicants desperate for a year round job (there were also only 2 atm machines in Branson at that time!!!!)

Maybe you could check into doing an internship at SDC before you finish school.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:33 AM   #32
Julsouthbranson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakwi
Does Missouri have a lot of "home schoolers"?? It seems like I have heard that someplace.

YES!!!!! Missouri is a wonderful state to homeschool in. I homeschool our 2 boys. In Branson there are 2 homeschool groups. Springfield has a huge homeschool association as well.

Branson area also has 3 christian schools (4 if you count Forsyth).
New Life - Hollister, Faith - Branson, Berean - Branson, Riverview - Forsyth
Branson school district also has an Alternative school I believe.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:42 AM   #33
SilverMallard
Ultra Member

First, let me say the positives outweigh the negatives of living here. But let me provide you with some "balance."

The traffic is one of the biggest negatives of living here. The cost of healthcare is another. Those have been mentioned. There are others...

If you like nightlife...local taverns, pool halls, dance clubs, etc. you're out of luck. Branson has very little to offer this type of lifestyle. Now, Branson Landiing may change some of that.

If you like attending sporting events, you're limited to high school sports or College of the Ozarks basketball. That's about it. You can go to Springfield for SMSU sports, AA baseball (Springfield Cardinals), etc.

The average age in Branson is in the 50s. There are conspiciously less folks in their 30s and 40s here than most places. Also, the job market (regardless of what BransonMom thinks) is VERY tight and wages/benefits VERY low for GOOD "support a family" type careers due to the pressure put on the job market by so many retirees who want to work for peanuts to protect their SS check/pension, don't need benefits because of Medicare, etc. Many of these retirees are degreed professionals with excellent work histories and the employers can hire them to work part-time and pay them little of nothing. It's hard to compete when you're in your 30's or 40's, have a family and a mortgage, etc.

The retirees and 2nd home buyers also put upward pressure on housing prices. Generally speaking, the housing market pricing is largely a product of the job market. A community has to have the jobs that pay enough to support the housing costs. If not, prices drop. Not so in Branson. Market demand from retirees relocating here and 2nd home buyers exerts heavy influence on the housing prices, keeping them out of step with what the local economy can support. Affordable housing ($125,000 or less) stays on the market here for a matter of days, not weeks, months, or years. There is a huge shortage compared to demand. This also creates upward pressure in the low-end consumer (LEC) housing market ($35-90k), and you don't get much for your money when compared to many other markets in the same geographical region.

These hills are hard on vehicles...especially brakes. Expect to check your brakes annually and replace them twice as often as you're used to. Tires also wear faster than in the flatlands.

If you are NOT very religious, you'll be in a minority. And with the # of Evangelical Christians (especially Pentecostals) running around, you will have to put up with more recruitment speeches than you would like.

If you are an employer, you will find it hard to keep good help. This is a kwirk of the local market which doesn't make much sense, but is nonetheless true. Getting folks to show up on time, do what they say they will do, etc. can be a real struggle. This is especially true with semi-skilled and unskilled labor.

The Ozarks in general...and here is no exception...is a hotbed (I believe THE hotbed) of methamphetamine production, distribution, and consumption. These are very dangerous drugs that cause all sorts of harm to the community and environment.

It can be pretty expensive and relatively difficult to have a good lawn/garden here. Our topography is Karst...layers upon layers of fractured limestone and dolomite bedrock. The soil...what little there is...is very rocky. If you want a nice lawn in a new neighborhood, you will have to bring in topsoil from outside the area, etc. Digging post holes for fences, mailboxes, etc. and digging planting holes for trees and shrubs can be VERY difficult. A lot of folks around here plant in constructed raised beds and planting boxes to avoid digging.

Well, that's about all of the negatives I can conjure up. It's still a great place to live. Like I said in the beginning, the positives far outweigh the negatives. But it's rare around here to get anyone to discuss the negatives openly. So I thought I'd take a stab at it.

BTW, when you decide to make the move...feel free to contact me or my wife. We're REALTORS with Coldwell Banker. silvermallard@cox.net
Old 05-05-2005, 12:34 PM   #34
Julsouthbranson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMallard
These hills are hard on vehicles...especially brakes. Expect to check your brakes annually and replace them twice as often as you're used to. Tires also wear faster than in the flatlands.

No joke!! I've had to put a new transmission in every vehicle I've ever owned here!!! And I wish I had a frequent shopper card just for brakes!
Old 05-05-2005, 12:37 PM   #35
HappyPappe
Hooked on Branson!!!

Silver,

I just wanted to say "Thank you very much" for the chuckle today. I don't think I have laughed at a post so hard before.

Thanks again....
Old 05-05-2005, 12:59 PM   #36
SilverMallard
Ultra Member

You're welcome. I just try to call 'em like I see 'em. Everyplace has both negatives and positives. No sense trying to deny it. In fact, some of the negatives are positives to some folks...and vice versa.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:50 PM   #37
HeatherWilliams

I agree on the brakes! I would also feel sorry for anyone with a standard in Branson, people get really close to your bumper in traffic!
Old 05-06-2005, 04:12 PM   #38
tina_als_girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julsouthbranson
Maybe you could check into doing an internship at SDC before you finish school.
I've thought about looking into that. Their website says that they give internships on a case-by-case basis, but I think I've got enough enthusiasm about being able to work at SDC (it's been my dream for quite a few years now) that they'd give me a good look.

I'm just trying to decide exactly when to head down there. I've got one more year of community college and will then have an Associate Degree in Arts. I'm still trying to pinpoint exactly what career/trade option I want to focus on: costume designing, screen/playwrighting, or something else entirely.

I'd love to look into getting a degree that would allow me to eventually have a job that has to do with theming at SDC, like theming for rides and such. I've always loved the stories that they've come up with for all their rides, and as a creative writer, I'd love to help come up with new themes and stories for new rides.

Anyway, I still plan to move to Branson, no matter what happens and in spite of the cons that SilverMallad pointed out (thank you for that, by the way; very informative). I'm only 19 (20 in less than two weeks), but I feel like I would fit in completely down there in Branson. It might be because I've always felt I was born several decades too late. That's why I love SDC so much; I always feel like I actually fit in there....

Joy

PS: You know, I know (or at least "know of"... you know how things go in high school) a Heather Williams. Interesting...

EDIT: Nope, never mind... It's a *Heidi* Williams I knew... See, like I said, I really just knew "of" her; didn't have much one-on-one interaction with her... Forget the above.

Last edited by tina_als_girl; 05-06-2005 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:35 PM   #39
Gabriella
Super Ultra Member

Silver Mallard,

Thanks for your candid point of view. Now, let's get down to the nuts and bolts. Housing prices are easy to find. What about the costs of homeowners insurance? Property taxes? Any guesstimate for what those would be on say, a $100K property?
Old 05-06-2005, 08:57 PM   #40
just_us

ok... coming from a 30-something mom, who still likes to think I'm 20-something some of the time...
I grew up just north of Branson, didn't come down here much when I was young...
I LOVE living here, not only for myself... but for my children.
Schools are GREAT! I work one job... my other half works at 2 shows (2 hours each, each day). Housing is fine and affordable, at least for us. I have to agree with both the "pros and cons" posted here. BUT... I have to say... it would take A LOT to get me to move away from here.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:22 PM   #41
SilverMallard
Ultra Member

G,

One a $100k home in Taney County you should expect to pay about $600/year in taxes and another $250-500/year for insurance. Auto insurance is a bit pricey here if you are moving from a rural area. If coming from an urban area it's about the same. Utilities on a $100k house that's reasonably energy efficient should avg. $100/mo (all electric). We have no natural gas. It's either electricity or propane.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:59 AM   #42
Gabriella
Super Ultra Member

Thanks, Silver Mallard!

Looks cheap to me.... We have been paying $177 per MONTH for homeowners, insurance on our cars, one full coverage and the other liability only, $290 per MONTH. Another $500/yr for flood insurance which would barely pay for our lot alone... Our property taxes are much lower due to the Homestead Exemption, BUT, when you add it all together, Taney Co is a bargain compared to here. Seldom do our utilites cost less than $250/mo (all electric except for range and dryer.) Even the friggin' water bill averages $95/mo. To top it all off, my homeowners insurance just dumped us after paying them for the past 11 years with NO claims! They say they're worried about hurricanes...like hurricanes didn't exist when I first signed their policy.

Are most homes on well water? How big of an area does city water/sewerage cover?
Old 05-07-2005, 12:18 PM   #43
OKCtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Our home on the outskirts of Branson is on city water and city sewer. I'm not sure how far out the limits of the city utilities goes, however.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:52 PM   #44
SilverMallard
Ultra Member

If you're outside the city limits you'll likely be on well water. Could be private or community-owned (subdivision). Outside the city limits...most places...you're on a septic system vs. sewer.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:21 AM   #45
just_us

WOW! $95/mo for water!!!!???? We live inside Branson City limits... family of 5, which means lots of showers, dishes, & laundry... my water bill runs $17 - $20 / mo!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread