1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Missouri Other

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 07:14 PM   #1
Amanda

Living In Branson?

This is my first post I hope to some day live in Branson. I don't know if anyone can answer this but I was wondering if Branson is a nice town to live in or if it is very different from visiting. Sometimes things aren't what they seem and I was wondering if that is the case with Branson.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:57 PM   #2
Countrygirl

Hello go to web site bransonmom.com she said she visited Branson a lot but lives there now and I am sure she can tell you all you need to know.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:16 PM   #3
ggh
Super User

The biggest drawback, IMO, of living in Branson is the fact that instead of being able to play all week, you have to go to work occasionally (Or at least I would)

The schools are fantastic
The tax burden is heavy on the tourist, and lighter on the home owner
The traffic can be a pain, but you quickly learn how to get around on the back roads
The scenery is awesome - you can escape for a mini vacation at a moments notice!

That said, cost of housing and rent are higher in Branson than outside of Branson, so you're not likely to find a cheap apartment inside the city limits.
Another drawback - if you are headed to Branson to get a job acting/singing/dancing for a living, you need to have a back up plan to pay the bills - there are jobs available, but you have to be VERY good, the competition can be fierce, and if you're just getting started, they're not likely to pay well enough to supply you a steady income. (Many folks work 2-3 jobs, with none of them being FT, and no benefits)
Old 02-25-2005, 10:01 PM   #4
OKCtraveler
Super Ultra Member

I live part-time in Branson, and love it! Probably eventually I will live there full-time. As a retiree, I don't worry about working, but would probably like to do something part-time to stay busy. Like the last post, sometimes the traffic is hectic, but there are ways around it. On the off-seasons, you can drive down the strip and might be the only car on the street. One perk is getting tickets to the show at a cheap price for residents. And you'll always have a lot of company, as all the relatives want to come and "visit" you, that is, on their way to and from shows. But that's OK, we enjoy them.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:18 PM   #5
Branson Mom
Just me

I love living in Branson! We have been here five years now and I don't think I'd ever leave.
I will admit it is different from visiting, because like ggh said, you have to work. You also have to live your life. When you're on vacation you get to play and have fun, eat out, have someone else pick up after you, etc. When you live here, you have your house to take care of, school, work, church and other obligations. But you still get to play, just not always when you want to. Like OKCtraveler said, you get discounts to shows and sometimes you get them to some of the area restuarants as well.
The Branson School district is wonderful! I think very highly of it and think my son is getting as good as if not better education in Branson than he did in St. Louis.
House prices are less here than in St. Louis. We live in twice the house that we did in St. Louis, but our taxes are about half of what we paid there.
As for jobs, a lot are seasonal and there are a number of layoffs in the winter, but with the off season becoming shorter, it is becoming better. There are however many full time year long jobs available. I can honestly say, that I don't know one person that has more than one job.
The biggest hardship that we've found is getting reasonable health insurance. Many of the small businesses can't get the discounts that we were accustomed to in St. Louis. It can get quite expensive.
The residents are wonderful and the tourists are so fun to visit with. We have our issues as a city, like any other and politics are pesky like everywhere else. We have a low crime rate and any type church you might want to go to. I could go on and on. If you have any more questions, feel free to write me at bransonmom1@aol.com. I'd be happy to answer anything I can.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:20 PM   #6
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Smile Welcome to the Branson Board, Amanda!

Amanda, which State do you live in? Missouri land and homes are a bargain if you compare us to many other places.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:23 PM   #7
tina_als_girl

I'm hoping to get a full-time job at SDC. I'm going to be working on getting a graphic design or advertising degree so that I can try getting a job with their advertising department.

My goal is to one day move to Branson and work for SDC. I once had aspirations of making it in Hollywood, but I'd settle for the wonderful Ozark mountains.

Now, about living in Branson, I do have a couple questions.

Is the IMAX theater the only movie theater around? Or is there an AMC theater anywhere near Branson? I ask because I'm a huge movie buff and if I can't make it into Hollywood, I still want to be able to see the latest blockbusters.

You've said that living within the city limits costs more than out, so where do a lot of the employees of the theaters and parks normally live? What would be the best area to look into?

Thanks to you all, especially Branson Mom, for all the info on living in Branson. It really sounds like just as great to live there as to visit there.

Joy
Old 02-27-2005, 09:38 PM   #8
Amanda

Thanks everyone for the response.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:34 AM   #9
Branson Mom
Just me

You're welcome!
Old 03-04-2005, 11:31 PM   #10
cangreja
The Crab

Movie Theaters

Nova 4 also has a couple of live music shows running in it, and the movies that they have are of the old release variety. I will often catch a movie there that I missed at one of the main theaters because you can get tickets, popcorn and a drink for $5.00.
On a personal note...
I like the Elite Cinemas, but Branson Meadows has better popcorn. (IMAX won't put real butter on it and you have to make due with the oil that they cook it in and butter salt.) My husband thinks I am weird, but I will when choosing between two movies, I will look at where it they are playing first and go to the one at Branson Meadows.
When I go to a movie, I want to have to go through at least half a dozen napkins from the butter. (Yeah, I know, sick and wrong, but there it is...)
Old 03-06-2005, 10:51 PM   #11
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cangreja
On a personal note...
I like the Elite Cinemas, but Branson Meadows has better popcorn. (IMAX won't put real butter on it and you have to make due with the oil that they cook it in and butter salt.) My husband thinks I am weird, but I will when choosing between two movies, I will look at where it they are playing first and go to the one at Branson Meadows.
When I go to a movie, I want to have to go through at least half a dozen napkins from the butter. (Yeah, I know, sick and wrong, but there it is...)
Gee, I knew there must be something else I liked about you!!! I agree about Branson Meadows having the best popcorn. Only think better is the theatres up in Kansas City where you get to put your own butter on!!! Oy yea!!!!
Old 03-06-2005, 11:06 PM   #12
tina_als_girl

Yeah, it's great here at the AMC Theaters where you can put as little or as much butter and salt as you want. I definitely make sure to stay away from my mom's popcorn; she's a salt-aholic.... She's always got the most bitter-tasting (from all the salt) popcorn ever!

One of these days I'll be sure to check out these cinemas around Branson to see what they're like. I may be living in Branson by the time the Pirates of the Caribbean sequel comes out, so I'll need to scout out which theater will be the best to stake-out at for the midnight showing (at least, I'm hoping they'll be doing midnight showings...).

Anyway, thanks for all the help everyone! I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future as I get closer to the time of moving, and I'm sure I'll get all the answers I need from you guys!

Joy
Old 05-05-2005, 07:24 AM   #13
HeatherWilliams

Smile

I love Branson with all my heart. I am planning to move up there this month. I have lined jobs up and got everything ready to go once before but did not make it up there due to circumstances.
I would suggest to you before you just move, to come to Branson look around for a few days, learn the area or at least know a few back roads and get everything lined up to slow that confusion down when you move. Jobs are fairly easy to get espically this time of year. YOu will learn the diferent tourist seasons also. What I did as far as a job when I planned on going up there before was, I applies several places and had phone calls that day went to interviews the next and was offred the job. It is that easy, with SDC you must apply go to a pre interview screening then you will meet with a mgr of the area you are interviewing for on park. I got 2 jobs just for extra money. I got a regular job and then a job waiting tables because that is extra cash on hand.
I have been given this advice by several natives of Branson, take your money from you regular job to live on bills ect, the money you make at first from waiting tables put all but 30.00 per week in a jar and do not touch it. The 30.00 is your spending money. As the money you get even working 3-4 nights a week willadd up to help you pay for bills when season is off.
Branson is like a big play ground for kids and adults too, it is hard not to want to go everywhere and do things at night and that is where you have to have self controll. It will be tempting but remember you have bills and 2-3 months of off season comming up. Off season does not apply for rent; you stil have to pay that. I have a lot of friends in Branson and you will find that Branson, for those who live there, is a slower laid back life style and the people are sincere and very kind. I hope you make it to Branson one day. If you need any informaiton about jobs ect let me know and I will have some friends send me some stuff and will pass it on to you! My emial is angel_face1003@yahoo.com or living4jesus_1003@hotmail.com
Old 05-10-2005, 07:20 PM   #14
RenMundy

Question Roomies In Branson??

I'm moving to Branson A.S.A.P. I'm 19 and looking for a roomate.. a girl. hehe. I"m a "show girl" and if anyone fun girlies want to think about rooming with me. I'd love to talk to ya. Thanks
Old 05-11-2005, 10:32 AM   #15
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Wink

Why you do not want to live in Branson, per.........the SilverHairedMallard.

You do not want to live in Branson, cause you might run into one of the scarey OLD CODGERS running around.

Forget going out for a beer.......? No bars in Branson. No whooping it up here.

Forget excitement at a ball game....there is only AA and KIDS PLAYING HERE, in the area.
No beer at those games?...Probably not.

Remember, again, just old people here, on the average.......so if you don't like 50+ aged folks...stay away.

The current rate of pay is so disgustingly low, you will never be able to support your family.

The newest residents of Branson have so screwed up the Real Estate deals........and the appraised values are so high, only rich people can afford to live in Branson.

So if you are in your 30s and 40s....YOU WILL NEVER SUCCEED IN BRANSON.

All you need here is a junker......the Ozarks is not condusive to classy vehicles....they fall apart with the wear and tear.

The local bible thumpers will, really make you consider Jesus...whether you like it or not.

The intellience pool for workers is 'low mentality' and 'less skills', ie: stupid locals.

There are so many more Drug cookers here, ie: watch out. (don't check the stats for anywhere else)

Forget gardening, and home landscaping.....the ground grows rocks, and will ruin your lawnmower.

Oh....forget coming here......THE WEATHER STINKS.

All above, a condensed version of Silver Mallards post................BUT REMEMBER....to use them as your Realtor, if you are coming or going,.........LISTEN TO ALL THE GOOD THINGS HE SAYS ABOUT BRANSON. Surely you are going to either sell for a big price, and/or get screwed when you buy.

And, the POSITIVES OUT WEIGH THE NEGATIVES?........OH YEAH?

Man, I'd love to see a list of the positives.........that totally negate the negatives..............roflol.

Sorry SM you left yourself open for critizism.........after that tirade.

And, yes........I UNDERSTAND YOU WERE ONLY JOKING. Branson has plenty of younger families who are making it, and making it fine. But, ...........

Even if you totally disagreed with BransonMom........our HIGH PRIESTESS. (sorry BM....)....the rest of you should ask BransonMom how she does it.....YOUNG, RICH AND GOOD LOOKING......with a family a beautiful home, and SURVIVING IN BRANSON.

Closed Thread