1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Movies/TV/Books/Music

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #1
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

"Ozark"

In Netflix’s upcoming drama Ozark, Jason Bateman takes a dark turn as a Marty Byrde, a man trying to live a normal life with his dysfunctional family — while working as the top money launderer for the second-largest drug cartel in Mexico.
After his partner is caught embezzling money, he is guilty by association and somehow convinces his vicious handler to spare his life and let him relocate his family and bring his money-laundering ways from the suburbs of Chicago to the Missouri Ozarks.

View the Trailer here:
http://deadline.com/2017/07/ozark-tr...nt-1202127102/

The 'Ozarks' in this 10 episode drama which begins July 21 is supposed to be around the Lake of the Ozarks.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #2
billj598

Strange, but not unusual, how these "Critics" who screen shows in advance foster different ideas and "takes" on their location and meaning.

The description I read in some forgotten source about "Ozark" said the new location for the family was supposed to be in a tourist destination City. Maybe I screwed-up when I interpreted that as being Branson since there really isn't an organized "City" of any size at LOZ other than little Camdenton.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:47 AM   #3
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Yes, some of the critics haven't been too kind either.
I guess we will see for ourselves this Friday.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #4
billj598

Other articles have surfaced that confirm the main characters are supposedly living Lakefront on Lake of the Ozarks (and they are welcome to it ).

How the one critic came up with the idea they were "escaping" the Drug Cartel and money laundering by living in a "Tourist destination City" shows how little most of us should rely on critics. Last time I checked, LOZ is not a "City".

Apparently, the plot has this family running into problems with local criminals.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:36 AM   #5
billj598

Had a chance to watch the first two episodes on Netflix and found them to be pretty good.

There was a definite insult to Branson in the second episode when the guy trying to launder cartel money is trying to "buy-in" to a seedy topless bar where an eight months pregnant, topless "dancer" (no, I'm not kidding) is gyrating in the background. The low-life owner tells the guy that if he doesn't "like" it he can take his a@@ down the road to Branson....

There are a few scenes undeniably filmed in the LOZ area but most of it is at some location in Georgia and you can immediately tell it's not LOZ by the scarcity of the wall-to-wall boat docks when they show the Lake. Those who are supposed to be "locals" are not portrayed kindly.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:13 PM   #6
WireRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by billj598 View Post
Other articles have surfaced that confirm the main characters are supposedly living Lakefront on Lake of the Ozarks (and they are welcome to it ).

How the one critic came up with the idea they were "escaping" the Drug Cartel and money laundering by living in a "Tourist destination City" shows how little most of us should rely on critics. Last time I checked, LOZ is not a "City".

Apparently, the plot has this family running into problems with local criminals.
The only thing OZARK about this is the title and some of the script. It was filmed in Georgia.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:41 AM   #7
billj598

Quote:
Originally Posted by WireRoad View Post
The only thing OZARK about this is the title and some of the script. It was filmed in Georgia.
We had a gab-fest with a neighbor about this thing who has also watched it and is also familiar with LOZ. We both got to laughing at how many viewers this Production will fool into thinking the Lake the Series shows is actually Lake of the Ozarks and will travel there expecting the calm, Battleship sized, traffic-free waters without the wall-to-wall, side-by-side boat docks that line the shores there.

Man, are they in for a shock and rude awakening !

Apparently, Georgia has a very lucrative film Industry going for it as many shows we see are tagged at the end with a little ditty singing : "Filmed in Georgia". Missouri might try getting some of that business but our Gov. just cut the Tourism Industry budget by 40% !

Last edited by billj598; 07-27-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:35 AM   #8
WireRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by billj598 View Post
Apparently, Georgia has a very lucrative film Industry going for it as many shows we see are tagged at the end with a little ditty singing : "Filmed in Georgia". Missouri might try getting some of that business but our Gov. just cut the Tourism Industry budget by 40% !
The Walking Dead is also filmed in Georgia.

Closed Thread