1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Attractions

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 08:31 PM   #16
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Been going to SDC as season pass holders for almost 30 years. Sure don't remember any "guns" on the Lost River.
I do remember quite a few years back when they added the "water cannons" if that's what you want to call them. Pipes sticking up that would squirt a stream of water toward the rafts floating down the river. Observers on land by the operator's tower put a quarter in, and tried to time pushing the button in order to shoot a stream of water into a passing raft full of people.
The other river ride where the petting zoo used to be has water cannons on land, and in the boats so passangers, and observers can have a water battle as the boat passes by. I think that one is still there, isn't it?
Old 01-06-2019, 08:52 PM   #17
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

"Guns" or no gun, betting everything is being torn out for an area that will be absolutely "Old time country"NOTHING!!!
When visiting the new "corporate" Silver Dollar City you jo longer have a "great past ahead of you" as the tram drivers used to say. The "great past" is rapidly passing.
Not saying I particularly disagree, ya gotta do what ya gotta do to stay in business, and be profitable. But I will certainly miss the old SDC we enjoyed so much for almost 30 years. Thinking this year's season passes may be the last.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:35 PM   #18
OkieAnon

I agree with no guns on Lost River, at least from my memory of it. Going way back, 40 years or so was there anything like guns on Jim Owen's Float Trip? I can't remember but it does seem like I have some vague memory in the back of my head of guns pre-flooded mine.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:30 AM   #19
kstater1997
Ultra Member

There was no guns or cannons on the Lost River Ride. The guns and cannon were on the Flooded Mine ride. The only thing that would shoot water was coming from under the water as you passed by.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:44 PM   #20
RevRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitcreek View Post
From what I have read on the SDC Fans board, there were some water issues and major maintenance issues on the ride.

In the last year of operation for Opryland in Nashville, we rode a similar ride and saw the boat in front of us partially sink going into the station which led to our boat and the boats behind us being stuck for a long period of time. Not a fun experience.....
get a noticable bump in admission prices when ne rides go in.
From what I have read it looks as though the theater where the Cajun Connection performed may also be removed and the Rib House reconstructed in that area ... but plans do change from time to time.

There is also a new stage and backstage area going into Echo Hollow. Should be ready for the 2019 season -- the year of shows.
Yep ... With all of these atttactions in most instances, fenced off for the 2019 season. Will we get a ticket-price reduction for such? Probably not! But, I'd figure we will see a bump in admission prices for whatever goes in in 2020. Lines always seemed long during the summer for Lost River. I would figure a re-vamping of a popular iconic ride would be more reasonable. But who knows? Maybe they will put in another museum. That seems to be the trend around town lately. When I was standing in a long, long, long, line waiting for a tram to get into the park 4 days after Christmas ... a guy standing next to me exclaimed "These guys need to expand the park's foot-print to the southwest, and spread some of these crowds out!" I agree completely! Looks like a simple solution would be to add more family-friendly rides and atttactions in stead of replacing existing ones. When they are cramming 25,000 to 28,000 into that park on a regular basis, lots of folks will finally get tired of the hassle and stop coming. I know I'm getting really wearing of paying top-dollar to stand in line all day! I've been coming to SDC reularly since 1983 so I'm certainly not a complainer. I just fear that the place is in danger losing some of the magic that has made it such a wonderful place for my family to visit.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:31 PM   #21
OkieAnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevRick View Post
Yep ... With all of these atttactions in most instances, fenced off for the 2019 season. Will we get a ticket-price reduction for such? Probably not! But, I'd figure we will see a bump in admission prices for whatever goes in in 2020. Lines always seemed long during the summer for Lost River. I would figure a re-vamping of a popular iconic ride would be more reasonable. But who knows? Maybe they will put in another museum. That seems to be the trend around town lately. When I was standing in a long, long, long, line waiting for a tram to get into the park 4 days after Christmas ... a guy standing next to me exclaimed "These guys need to expand the park's foot-print to the southwest, and spread some of these crowds out!" I agree completely! Looks like a simple solution would be to add more family-friendly rides and atttactions in stead of replacing existing ones. When they are cramming 25,000 to 28,000 into that park on a regular basis, lots of folks will finally get tired of the hassle and stop coming. I know I'm getting really wearing of paying top-dollar to stand in line all day! I've been coming to SDC reularly since 1983 so I'm certainly not a complainer. I just fear that the place is in danger losing some of the magic that has made it such a wonderful place for my family to visit.
I think the last time we rode the Lost River we stood in line for almost 90 minutes, it was a hot and muggy day and the line stretched forever, all that for a 2 minute ride. All those people will be standing in line elsewhere now which will slow everything else down.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:27 AM   #22
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
I just fear that the place is in danger losing some of the magic that has made it such a wonderful place for my family to visit.
The "great past ahead of you" has been dwindling for quite some time. The tram drivers haven't used that intro for probably close to ten years. They took out Aunt Polly's with their old time down home menu, and replaced it with an authentic 1880's Ozark pizza parlor. The great musical production about life in the Ozarks is long gone. But this year there will be swashbuckling pirates on stage. How many seafaring bandits were there in the Ozark mountains in 1880 anyway?
Old 01-08-2019, 07:44 AM   #23
soxster
Super Ultra Member

I wonder if there was a major leak problem in the lake/ride, if it was seeping into the cavern below. That could be a problem to the eco of the cave. Just a thought.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:10 AM   #24
leftsaidted
Ultra Member

If there was a leak, it's a routine job to drain and dry the entire "ride", then SEAL the entire area of the leak with waterproof material...it's done all the time. No, I think there is another reason...mostly the "gotta ditch the old, bring on the new" mentality that seemingly is permeating the entire area, from SDC to Branson proper.

Also, yea, pirates in the Ozarks in the 1880's, good one! But, 1880's Ozark pirates AND pizza, well, of COURSE that makes sense!!???

But, SDC has always replaced lots of fun things (remember the Tree House, where you could climb up/down inside the "tree", walk across a swinging catwalk stucture, and enter the Tree House? Part of it is still there, the "Tree" and the boarded up house..or it was..did I see it last year? Can't remember.. How about the Submarine ride? Rube Dugans Diving Bell, to be exact? And the tranquil Jim Owens Float Trip ride was replaced with American Plunge..And then Buzzsaw Falls, it was replaced after a few short years with Powder Keg...).

I guess we could all carp about all these "oldie but goodie rides" forever..I know I have done my share, as we all seem to never want anything fun to change, myself included! But, most of the crowds who enter SDC now have no idea of these past things, and could care less that they are gone. Instead, they just enjoy all the current attractions. Sigh...but I DO miss Aunt Pollys, and Also Big Jacks...great Sandwiches and Pies!
Old 01-08-2019, 08:10 AM   #25
sanddunerider
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxster View Post
I wonder if there was a major leak problem in the lake/ride, if it was seeping into the cavern below. That could be a problem to the eco of the cave. Just a thought.
It had several major leaks for sure, the concrete was just old.. I dont know if it was leaking into cavern below or not.. But the water was going somewhere
Old 01-08-2019, 08:31 AM   #26
soxster
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddunerider View Post
It had several major leaks for sure, the concrete was just old.. I dont know if it was leaking into cavern below or not.. But the water was going somewhere
Repairing the concrete flow way is one thing, repairing a fair size retention pond is another. A close by development to SDC has a man made pond on a golf course and it keeps leaking. Draining a large pond and trying to stop it from leaking is not a cheap/easy proposition.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:33 PM   #27
BudderCup

My husband & son's had #3 figured out this summer! They had people giving them quarters to soak their family when they came around. We were there for quite some time...lol The riders were getting off the ride & coming up tell them nice job. Sad to see this ride go, but can't wait to see what the new ride will be.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #28
swinslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevRick View Post

Can't have it both ways......expand the park's footprint and add more family friendly rides.... and keep the magic that has made it such a wonderful place.

It is one or the other. The SDC that many of us knew in the past has left the station years ago. Love it for what it was, is currently, and will be in the future.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:20 PM   #29
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinslow View Post

The SDC that many of us knew in the past has left the station years ago. Love it for what it was, is currently, and will be in the future.
Kinda the way it is (or should be) regarding life in general..
Old 01-09-2019, 04:32 AM   #30
kstater1997
Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalmatianDad View Post
Kinda the way it is (or should be) regarding life in general..
Amen...very true. Cherish the memories....

Closed Thread