1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Dining

Old 02-21-2020, 11:02 PM   #31
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Just saw some big, gaudy neon sign for Billy Gail's on facebook. As feared the destruction of the charm that made Billy Gail's, Billy Gail's has begun!
Soon just another big chicken, or giant meatball!
Old 02-22-2020, 11:09 AM   #32
leftsaidted
Super Ultra Member

How about a giant, 30 foot pancake, with a 5' tall mound of melting butter on it, covered in syrup? I think that's fitting, as they were known for their extra large hotcakes...Put THAT out on 76, at the turn off, and at the other end, down by the Chateau...then one directly over the restaurant...if we're gonna do this, let's do it so EVERONE knows where the "new improved" Billy Gail's is located!

Last edited by leftsaidted; 02-22-2020 at 11:13 AM.
leftsaidted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:52 PM   #33
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

But sadly true!
Old 02-24-2020, 08:19 AM   #34
soxster
Super Ultra Member

If some are turned off, the wait time will be shorter. But then again, with the expanded hours, food offerings and parking fixes......maybe not.
soxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:10 AM   #35
OkieAnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftsaidted View Post
How about a giant, 30 foot pancake, with a 5' tall mound of melting butter on it, covered in syrup? I think that's fitting, as they were known for their extra large hotcakes...Put THAT out on 76, at the turn off, and at the other end, down by the Chateau...then one directly over the restaurant...if we're gonna do this, let's do it so EVERONE knows where the "new improved" Billy Gail's is located!
how about adding someone singing for tips?
OkieAnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:24 AM   #36
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieAnon View Post

Last edited by rjw1991A1; 02-24-2020 at 09:26 AM.
rjw1991A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:31 AM   #37
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxster View Post
If some are turned off, the wait time will be shorter. But then again, with the expanded hours, food offerings and parking fixes......maybe not.
Yup, lose the quaintness, lose the charm. Push 'em in, push 'em out, turn it into just another Branson high volume restaurant.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:51 AM   #38
leftsaidted
Super Ultra Member

I can probably deal with most of the new changes and "improvements"...but, PLEASE, no singers/musicians and a tip jar!!
Old 02-24-2020, 01:28 PM   #39
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
I can probably deal with most of the new changes and "improvements"...but, PLEASE, no singers/musicians and a tip jar!!
Do they do that at the place that bought Billy Gail's?
Save me a long and winding road trip to try them.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:09 PM   #40
ggh
Super User

Since my initial post in this thread, we have eaten at Flat Creek.

We had fried green beans (fabulous!) with horseradish sauce. I had a very generous portion of delicious catfish, good coleslaw, and hush puppies. Dh had prime rib sandwich/French dip, which was also very good. I'm looking forward to trying Flat Creek at Billy Gail's. The ambiance was the best thing Billy Gail's had going for it, so I think this will be a good mix for Branson.
ggh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:20 AM   #41
leftsaidted
Super Ultra Member

I think what I, and maybe, some others have concern about, is that Billy Gail's was "Billy Gail's" because of, well, WHAT it was. Tiny, cramped, quaintness, and yea, even the difficult parking that required one to get their EARLY, or walk a little distance, yet so warm, cozy, and intimate once inside and seated, with the ever so pleasant and lovely owner/host greeting you...all these things are what made Billy Gails, "Billy Gails".

I have no problem with either of the Flat Creek restaurants, their menu, their very bright signage interior decorations and ambience, their exterior building design, etc...it's what makes IT a "Flat Creek" restaurant.

What some are concerned about is changing the menu at the original Billy Gail's, changing the interior theme, changing the outside "look" via larger parking and possibly the "cleaning up" of what WAS there, and other potential new "improvements".

It's sort of like when Andy Williams Moon River Grill closed...I loved that place, the interior décor, his award LP records displayed over the entire bar, their menu, their food, the ambiance, etc. I have missed it ever since it closed.

But, thankfully, the new restaurant that took its place did not attempt to keep MRG alive by having it's name outside, while changing the interior, the menu, the food, etc. They chose to go with THEIR name, and allow MRG to fade away.

That's what I am referring to when I talk about the "new" Billy Gail's….if it will remain AS IT WAS, then awesome! However, if the new owners are going to implement much of their own successful restaurants, the Flat Creek, into the former Billy Gail's, yet still call it "Billy Gail's, I for one, would rather they just retire THAT name, and just call it Branson Flat Creek restaurant.

That's only my opinion, doesn't count for much, nor amount to a hill of beans, for, as I have stated previously, the new owners can and will do whatever they please with THEIR property/restaurant...I am just hoping things really don't change much! I have fond memories of MRG, and also Billy Gail's...
Old 02-25-2020, 08:30 AM   #42
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

^
Nailed it exactly Left. They want a Flat Creek in Branson, there's plenty of vacant spaces.
Now, maybe just what some are saying, hope so, the name Flat Creek at Billy Gail's would be the nail in the coffin for me! I can already get great catfish, and the other things they mention at Danna's, and other existing Branson favorites.
I just hope that is no going to be the official name, and they don't destroy the things you mentioned that made Billy Gail's, Billy Gail's!
Old 02-25-2020, 09:20 AM   #43
sanddunerider
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieAnon View Post

SSHHHH!!!!

Dont give them any ideas!!
Old 02-25-2020, 10:59 AM   #44
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddunerider View Post
SSHHHH!!!!

Dont give them any ideas!!
Maybe the next step. Something that I'm sure there would be some thinking it's great.
Singing restroom attendants!
Old 02-25-2020, 05:31 PM   #45
ggh
Super User

Quote:
I think what I, and maybe, some others have concern about, is that Billy Gail's was "Billy Gail's" because of, well, WHAT it was. Tiny, cramped, quaintness, and yea, even the difficult parking that required one to get their EARLY, or walk a little distance, yet so warm, cozy, and intimate once inside and seated, with the ever so pleasant and lovely owner/host greeting you...all these things are what made Billy Gails, "Billy Gails".

I have no problem with either of the Flat Creek restaurants, their menu, their very bright signage interior decorations and ambience, their exterior building design, etc...it's what makes IT a "Flat Creek" restaurant.

What some are concerned about is changing the menu at the original Billy Gail's, changing the interior theme, changing the outside "look" via larger parking and possibly the "cleaning up" of what WAS there, and other potential new "improvements".

It's sort of like when Andy Williams Moon River Grill closed...I loved that place, the interior décor, his award LP records displayed over the entire bar, their menu, their food, the ambiance, etc. I have missed it ever since it closed.

But, thankfully, the new restaurant that took its place did not attempt to keep MRG alive by having it's name outside, while changing the interior, the menu, the food, etc. They chose to go with THEIR name, and allow MRG to fade away.

That's what I am referring to when I talk about the "new" Billy Gail's….if it will remain AS IT WAS, then awesome! However, if the new owners are going to implement much of their own successful restaurants, the Flat Creek, into the former Billy Gail's, yet still call it "Billy Gail's, I for one, would rather they just retire THAT name, and just call it Branson Flat Creek restaurant.

That's only my opinion, doesn't count for much, nor amount to a hill of beans, for, as I have stated previously, the new owners can and will do whatever they please with THEIR property/restaurant...I am just hoping things really don't change much! I have fond memories of MRG, and also Billy Gail's...
Much of Branson (and many other small Ozark towns) have continued to do what they have always done, no improvements or changes, until they dig their own grave. I am glad to see Billy Gail's spruced up, with new management, and anticipate it will flourish. Memories of what was will always be.
ggh is offline   Reply With Quote