1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Shows

Old 07-29-2020, 04:59 AM   #16
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLM View Post
Actually.... going on a soapbox now—— sorry! Time for everyone to stop saying “declining” shows. The fact is—- 100 shows. When I moved here in 1995.... 40 shows. Many many people... more than 1995... coming here. Good high quality shows = profit. The other 65 shows... you can fill in the blank. The state of tourism here has little to do with popularity as a destination and everything to do with the weird balance between ticket sellers and shows and the number of shows artificially supported in town.
Than you!!! I can always count on you to be a voice of reason!!!
bransoncutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:57 AM   #17
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Actually.... going on a soapbox now—— sorry! Time for everyone to stop saying “declining” shows. The fact is—- 100 shows. When I moved here in 1995.... 40 shows. Many many people... more than 1995... coming here. Good high quality shows = profit. The other 65 shows... you can fill in the blank. The state of tourism here has little to do with popularity as a destination and everything to do with the weird balance between ticket sellers and shows and the number of shows artificially supported in town.
I am the "declining shows" person, so I'll state my case, which could be 180 degrees out, but I'll try.
First of all let's not talk about 2020 and covid 19, hopefully this will be a one shot disaster.
Moved here in 2006. I can't think of a theatre that was not up and running. As everyone knows some have been torn down and many others sit empty. Going to a show in 06 could be tough--finding a seat that is. Except for the most popular shows, that is not currently the case, and it hasn't been for sometime.
At one point many folks were banging on the table wanting to make Btown more family oriented. Well we got it. If you want proof you should have driven the strip yesterday. The rides were rocking, probably half of which were not here a few years ago. Did I mention the gee whiz museums? The monster fish tank might even be done some day. Have you taken a pack of youngsters for a day of go-carts, coasters, and boats? Cha ching!
So my point is, all of this has stretched the tourist $$$ several directions. To me it seems shows have had to participated in the squeeze.
I'll be more than happy to have you tell me I'm totally wrong. I'm a former business owner and I understand the joy and sorrow that goes with it and I hope every business is blessed with success.

"Does anyone know if we can take showers yet or should we just keep washing our hands?"
DalmatianDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:30 AM   #18
Branson Friend

When the auction ended the high bid was $3,500,000, but that did not meet the minimum reserve price set. It is now up to the creditor(s) to decide if they want to accept a lower offer or keep it on the market. It is no surprise the auction did not generate a bid anywhere near their previous listing price of approximately $6 million.
Branson Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:58 AM   #19
MLM

Two things... in my opinion, the current owners should take every penny of that 3.5 million and run.

Second thing—— I get what you’re saying DalmatianDad... every dollar spent in other ways affects show dollars of course. I’ve thought all along that SDC is a double-edged sword for example... it brings people to town, but takes away a ton of dollars from the rest of the town. However, I still think if we had a reasonable number of shows (40?), the audience numbers for each show would be dramatically higher.
MLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:47 PM   #20
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member

Quote:
Two things... in my opinion, the current owners should take every penny of that 3.5 million and run.

I very much agree with that.

Second thing—— I get what you’re saying DalmatianDad... every dollar spent in other ways affects show dollars of course. I’ve thought all along that SDC is a double-edged sword for example... it brings people to town, but takes away a ton of dollars from the rest of the town. However, I still think if we had a reasonable number of shows (40?), the audience numbers for each show would be dramatically higher.
To be honest, I have wondered if this pandemic might not be the catalyst to thin out the shows in town. A lot of people have said it needed to happen, but as long as the show owners thought they could hang in a bit longer, they weren't going to weed themselves out voluntarily. This might be forcing their hand...
bransoncutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:25 PM   #21
Branson Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bransoncutie View Post
To be honest, I have wondered if this pandemic might not be the catalyst to thin out the shows in town. A lot of people have said it needed to happen, but as long as the show owners thought they could hang in a bit longer, they weren't going to weed themselves out voluntarily. This might be forcing their hand...
Yes. And unfortunately it has been considered sacrilegious to even imply that every show in Branson is not a spectacular entertainment experience. A minimum of 80% of the shows range from not very good to embarrassing. I cringe when I see all of the “entertainers” posting comments on how everyone should go see so-and-so‘s show because it’s fantastic. Everybody praising everybody else, so all credibility is lost. No one wants to see anyone lose their job, or have their dreams shattered, but one of the biggest problems in Branson is that nobody wants to be honest about the quality control issue.

The truly biggest lie is that there are 9 million tourists visiting Branson each year. I saw that lie spoken again today when the company building the new resort in Hollister talked about their plans. Branson does not get 9 million tourists each year, nothing even close to that. But the Chamber/CVB keeps putting out that number and people keep coming to town thinking there are piles of money to be made, and when they start their business they get a quick education as to how difficult it is to survive. Change in leadership is necessary, and the city needs to stop perpetuating the myth about 9 million tourists.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:47 PM   #22
otterchaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branson Friend View Post
When the auction ended the high bid was $3,500,000, but that did not meet the minimum reserve price set. It is now up to the creditor(s) to decide if they want to accept a lower offer or keep it on the market. It is no surprise the auction did not generate a bid anywhere near their previous listing price of approximately $6 million.

If the starting bid was $1.5m and they couldn't get $6m a few years ago, what price are they actually wanting? What was the minimum reserve? Yes, take the money and run!!! Younger people aren't going to keep going to the older style shows anyway. (I'm thinking young parents in their 30's with kids they want to entertain.)
otterchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:01 PM   #23
Branson Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterchaos View Post
If the starting bid was $1.5m and they couldn't get $6m a few years ago, what price are they actually wanting? What was the minimum reserve? Yes, take the money and run!!! Younger people aren't going to keep going to the older style shows anyway. (I'm thinking young parents in their 30's with kids they want to entertain.)
The minimum reserve price is not announced. They set a low starting bid price and hope people will bid it up until it surpasses the minimum reserve set. If they announced the minimum price then no one would bid above that. You see it on eBay all the time. In this case it didn’t work. Without having the actual property mortgage information in front of me, generally speaking when something goes up for auction they are trying to get a minimum price of whatever amount is still due on outstanding loans on the property. Whether it is a bank, individual or combination of those, the goal for creditors is to come out of it without losing any money. If someone had the motivation or interest they could probably go to the county courthouse and get the property records and get the mortgage information. Not familiar with Taney County, but most municipalities make that available in public records.

The Grand Palace tried for many years to sell at a price to recoup the indebtedness and they could not even get close, so the current owners got it for pennies on the dollar. One of the many problems with Moon River is that it is such an expensive property to run. It is not an attractive purchase for someone who wants to own a theater. There are numerous other theaters for sale in town at a much lower price with much lower operating costs. And they can’t give away those buildings.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:36 AM   #24
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
So my point is, all of this has stretched the tourist $$$ several directions.
Or has the $$$ been following the wants, and needs of the current Branson visitors?
I'm not sure even the mega church repurposing of the large theaters will continue. Didn't they try that at the Yellow Ribbon, and it didn't last?
Rides, thrills, and action packed modern shows are probably Branson's only hope for survival. Like it or not, Ernest Tubb, and hillbilly comics have left the building as far as what today's Branson tourists want.
Now the challenge is conveying that message to many potential visitors that still have the old stereotype immage of Branson.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:28 PM   #25
MLM

I think a lot of the last post is correct. “Hillbilly” shows are certainly not the town’s future... in my opinion, they’re a relic of the past. From my experience, one big problem is that the city’s marketing (chamber/cvb) insists on two things... being “safe” by marketing country and old school “Branson” shows, and trying to be “fair” by marketing a wide variety of shows with no regard for quality or investment in the town. Many of the city marketing people seem to make no effort to see the shows they promote. Our city’s overall marketing could be much more effective.
Second, I’m glad you italicized “modern,” because what’s modern in Branson is many many years behind modern in any major US city. 60’s, 70’s & 80’s music can draw great crowds in Branson. It doesn’t require crazy “high energy” shows, etc... to have great success. Remember that we’re a vacation destination with a predominately older demographic, and that will continue for some time.
MLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:59 PM   #26
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
I’m glad you italicized “modern,” because what’s modern in Branson is many many years behind modern in any major US city.
Two shows that are the example of what I meant by modern, and high energy.
The Haygoods, and Clay Cooper's Country Express.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:52 PM   #27
Airforce Dad

Shows

I just wonder how long a show can keep doing the same thing or do a copycat show and attract an audience? I have seen some good shows in Branson and some that left a stink in my nose for several days.
Airforce Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:06 PM   #28
travelerdeb

Nashville Roadhouse Live at Branson Star Theater is fresh, fun & high energy. Stevie Lee Woods & band are awesome. Plus, they feature new guest performers each week.

Full bar, beer garden & dinner option.
travelerdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:24 PM   #29
Branson Friend

Price keeps dropping

Now down to $4.5 million. Still too high.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:55 PM   #30
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branson Friend View Post
Now down to $4.5 million. Still too high.
Yup, a mega church will never pay thet!