1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Living in Branson > Local Branson / Tri-Lakes Area Issues

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
usacamaro

Here in Branson now. I had no idea it was such a mess.

I feel bad for all the small business owners here. I am surprised to see all the damage from the tornado. I had no idea it was this bad.

I am surprised that there has not been some help in tearing down these buildings, either from the state or the city. It looks bad, and gives the impression that no one cares. It looks like an abandoned route 66 in the movies.

We made one trip into town and Unfortunatly that will be the last this trip. The traffic and the depressing strip puts a damper on the trip.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
bsafo132
Retired Public Nuisance

Location: Rural Missouri, living with the swines and bovines amid the trees and cow patties! Just a puddle jump away from Branson
Quote:
Originally Posted by usacamaro View Post
I feel bad for all the small business owners here. I am surprised to see all the damage from the tornado. I had no idea it was this bad.

I am surprised that there has not been some help in tearing down these buildings, either from the state or the city. It looks bad, and gives the impression that no one cares. It looks like an abandoned route 66 in the movies.

We made one trip into town and Unfortunatly that will be the last this trip. The traffic and the depressing strip puts a damper on the trip.
It looks alot better now then it did a couple of months ago. I think they are making amazing progress in removing evidence of the recent disaster. Many of the busineses with less serious damage have already been restored and reopened.

BS

Last edited by bsafo132; 06-22-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
julieeileen
Super Ultra Member

We were there in late May and while there was still damage to be cleared, it didn't really affect our trip. I still shopped Tanger. And lots of other places seemed to be fine. Was there places in particular you were planning to visit that were damaged?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
Critter
Super Ultra Member

I was there last month and will be there again. They will be back to new soon!! Some things take awhile. I notice the same thing when there is a restaurant that burns up or any business. It just stays around. I am sure it has something to do with the insurance too.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

You must have been in some other Branson! We were there only a couple weeks after the storm when things were bad. On our more recent visits there has been a lot of progress made. Other than the Hilton the motels that suffered damage were some of the smaller ones. Most of the restaurants that were damaged are now open, and I think all of the theaters are back in business. To see the progress after the tornado damage is far from depressing in my opinion. Branson is open, and serving the tourists as always!
Old 06-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #6
lovethesouth

I have to chime in on this one...we took the whole family (grown kids, grandkids) to Branson last week and had a fantastic time. The only damage we noticed were a few places on the strip, some windows still being replaced in the Hilton at the Landing and the Convention Center but that in NO way impeded our vacation. We stayed at a great resort (Tribesman) on Table Rock Lake, did SDC a couple of days, went to the Titanic Museum, ate at Mel's Hard Luck Diner, spent a lot of hours (and money) at the Tanger Mall and the Landing and in general had a wonderful time. We've been to Branson several times but this year was the best vacation ever! I guess we went to the 'other' Branson because the one we went to was excellent.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #7
Tams
Super Ultra Member

I was there 2 weeks after the storm, yes things were bad, but I can tell you Branson was on the move. That week was busy. We rode the strip, we went to the shows, we shopped, we ate at wonderful places. Took pictures all over town.

Nothing would keep me out of one of my favorite towns. NOTHING.

A

Let me breathe the air!!!!
Old 06-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #8
usacamaro

What I saw was a tree on top of a hotel crushing it. 2 differnent ticket centers laying in rubble. And a few more unidentified buildings borded up. And one more hotel laying in rubble. This was Just on the western half of 76.

I will not let it put a damper on our vacation. We had a great time at SDC and had some great meals. We will still be here for 6 more days. We love the area, and spend a good deal of money here also. I am just pointing out that people who haven't been here since last year will find that there is damage to the area. I have followed the boards for the last month and there is no mention of it.

Last edited by usacamaro; 06-23-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usacamaro View Post
What I saw was a tree on top of a hotel crushing it. 2 differnent ticket centers laying in rubble. And a few more unidentified buildings borded up. And one more hotel laying in rubble. This was Just on the western half of 76.

I will not let it put a damper on our vacation. We had a great time at SDC and had some great meals. We will still be here for 6 more days. We love the area, and spend a good deal of money here also. I am just pointing out that people who haven't been here since last year will find that there is damage to the area. I have followed the boards for the last month and there is no mention of it.
There has been discussion on the board about the tornado damage.

Here is one thread that had comments as recently as May:
http://www.1branson.com/forum/t66660.html

And a thread from April:
http://www.1branson.com/forum/t66596.html

There are several more threads from March.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #10
maamaa2001
Ultra Member

Hey everyone, I love Branson too and want to defend it but I don't think usacamaro meant any disrespect. Just an opinion about the damage and sad about it. I was sad when I was there for Spring Break. I had saw the damage on video before any of it was cleaned up but still was a little surprised when I saw it in person.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #11
lucyann
Super Ultra Member

I don't understand how you're going to be here for 6 more days, always spend a lot of money but you won't be going back into town because it was depressing?
Old 06-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #12
OKCtraveler
Super Ultra Member

I know of one demolished home that is already built back and ready to move into. I know this because it's MINE!!! It takes a lot of time to recover. Joplin is still nowhere near being recovered and it's been over a year. Insurance problems, etc . I think some people didn't have insurance, so that's double jeopardy.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #13
Branson Bluesman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyann View Post
I don't understand how you're going to be here for 6 more days, always spend a lot of money but you won't be going back into town because it was depressing?
What don't you understand? He's probably staying at Big Cedar or somewhere in that area.
What some people are missing with the "it looks a lot better now then it did a couple of months ago" theory is that some follks don't come to this area very often and they have no idea what it looked like right after the tornado.
Be honest. There are some parts from the tornado's path that are still quite a mess. Whether it's due to people waiting on insurance settlements or whatever, it's still an eyesore to the casual observer who doesn't come to Branson that often.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #14
OkieAnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCtraveler View Post
I know of one demolished home that is already built back and ready to move into. I know this because it's MINE!!! It takes a lot of time to recover. Joplin is still nowhere near being recovered and it's been over a year. Insurance problems, etc . I think some people didn't have insurance, so that's double jeopardy.
congrts, I remember you telling us about your house right after the tornado. it's nice to hear that you are ready to move in.

I expect a certain amount of sadness when we first see some of the damage in a few weeks, it won't be sadness because I expect everything to be neat and tidy but rather it will be from remembering the great times my family had at some of the places like Melody Lane and Ozarkland over the years, that plus knowing the lives that were changed, the jobs that were lost. Still I look forward to going and spending my money.

The thing I think of is not the pace of the cleanup but the fact that it could be Joplin one time, Branson another and my hometown the next (it was to close for comfort a couple months ago).
Old 06-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #15
bsafo132
Retired Public Nuisance

Location: Rural Missouri, living with the swines and bovines amid the trees and cow patties! Just a puddle jump away from Branson
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCtraveler View Post
Glad to hear you're ready to move into your new home. I hope it includes a safe room or a storm shelter. My neighbors used to laugh at me because I have a safe room and get in it when deemed necessary. They're not laughing so loud now. They didn't enjoy riding the storm out in the crawl space under their house. We were supposed to be in the path, but fortunately it lifted a few miles west of us. they're the ones who also don't have a weather radio and usually sleep through storms.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new home for many years to come

BS

Last edited by bsafo132; 06-23-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Closed Thread