1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Shows

Old 06-19-2020, 01:51 PM   #1
cornonthecob

Lennon Sisters Dropped from Ozark Mountain Christmas

I read today on Facebook that The Lennon Sisters will not be part of the "Ozark Mountain Christmas" show at the Moon River Theatre. In a nicely worded letter from the trio, they said that costs needed to be reduced due to the smaller crowds expected in Branson this holiday season.
cornonthecob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:06 PM   #2
WireRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornonthecob View Post
I read today on Facebook that The Lennon Sisters will not be part of the "Ozark Mountain Christmas" show at the Moon River Theatre. In a nicely worded letter from the trio, they said that costs needed to be reduced due to the smaller crowds expected in Branson this holiday season.
Sadly, I believe you'll see a lot of that in the Branson 2020 season. Covid has kicked everyone's butts. Stripped down shows with lower production values, etc. ya gotta try to make ends meet somehow. IMO, this is why Shoji also bowed out.
WireRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:28 PM   #3
Branson Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WireRoad View Post
Sadly, I believe you'll see a lot of that in the Branson 2020 season. Covid has kicked everyone's butts. Stripped down shows with lower production values, etc. ya gotta try to make ends meet somehow. IMO, this is why Shoji also bowed out.
The theater has been for sale for a long time and there are no buyers. They have already dropped the price $500,000. The current owner told me before he started his first season there he purchased the theater as a real estate investment hoping to flip it, it was not his intention to run it long term. Obviously that plan did not work out. In today’s economy it is overpriced, has insufficient parking for the number of seats in the theater, and the daily operation costs of heating/air conditioning, lights, etc. is a huge amount of money just to have the doors open. We stopped doing shows there as soon as we could, a combination of the very poor handicapped accessibility, bad parking and other issues. We and Daniel O’Donnell both left and went to Welk which is much more handicap friendly and has plenty of level parking.

The best bet is probably somebody comes along and makes them a much lower offer and flattens the building. That would be a shame. Architecturally it is a beautiful building, but because every row is a step up or down, not very user-friendly for older demographics or handicapped people. The group which bought the Grand Palace property, a much bigger parcel of land and building, paid less than half as much as what they are asking for Moon River. As always we need to make a disclaimer, this is not a reflection on the shows in there. Lots of very talented people. Lennons have always done an excellent show and I hope the venue will be honest with people when marketing the show that the Lennons are no longer a part of it.
Branson Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:13 PM   #4
WireRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branson Friend View Post

The best bet is probably somebody comes along and makes them a much lower offer and flattens the building. That would be a shame. Architecturally it is a beautiful building, but because every row is a step up or down, not very user-friendly for older demographics or handicapped people. The group which bought the Grand Palace property, a much bigger parcel of land and building, paid less than half as much as what they are asking for Moon River. As always we need to make a disclaimer, this is not a reflection on the shows in there. Lots of very talented people.
What is Jimmy Osmond's connection with that theater? He now owns it? Seems I heard he had a stroke or something and could no longer perform there?
WireRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:19 PM   #5
Branson Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WireRoad View Post
What is Jimmy Osmond's connection with that theater? He now owns it? Seems I heard he had a stroke or something and could no longer perform there?
He is still the owner, cannot perform due to his stroke. Here is real estate company trying to sell it:

https://svnrankinco.com/property-listings/
Branson Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:16 PM   #6
can'tcatchup
Super Ultra Member

I stopped attending any shows at the Moon River, unless it was someone that I was absolutely dying to see, because the theater and parking lot were so handicapped unfriendly. I was so thrilled when Daniel O’Donnell moved his show to the Welk. He has a lot of older followers, and I heard that when he was at Moon River, it was an unusual day when an ambulance did not have to be called for someone in attendance.
can'tcatchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:31 PM   #7
wwgang
Super Ultra Member

I wonder who will be in the show then

We saw the Texas Tenors there. We couldn't believe how unaccessible it was for the handicapped or elderly
wwgang is offline   Reply With Quote