1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Outdoor Activities

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Good couple day's Trout fishing.

When I arrived at Lilley's Landing Wednesday afternoon Phil told me that they had been catching a lot of fish in the Trophy area. Most were small though. After getting settled in, and launching the boat, I motored up to Lookout. One of my favorite places. I was using the Olive Micro jig under a float that Phil said was working, and caught 6 or 7 in the couple hours I spent there. None of any large size, between 10 and 14 inches, with only one a little over 15.
Thursday I decided to try something different after not getting much attention with the jig and float. With one unit operating at Table Rock I was able to drift a 3/32 oz Sculpin/Ginger jig on the bottom. Dragging the jig with slight hopps, I caught 7 fish with only one under 15" The best was just a tad under 18, and two more were solid 17 inchers. Friday I had promised DW some SDC time, so the Gator stayed quietly docked at Lilley's. After the storms Thursday night, and cold front Friday, the numbers for me slowed a bit on Saturday. But the fishing was worth the effort. I only cought 3, and the first two weren't braggers. Just solid, fat, hard fighting 15-16 inch fish. Then, just before the sky cleared, and the sun came out I cought my trophy for the year so far. 20 1/2 inch. Beautifully colored, fat, and strong. It was probably a 15 minute battle on 2# line, but oh what fun!!! Another Trout Unlimited Trophy catch and release pin for my hat, and certificate for my wall. Those make a lot more sense to me than killing such a beautiful fish to hang on the wall!
It seemed like things shut off after the sun came out. Possibly because it brought a bunch of boats out with it!. I did take a run up to the dam, and on the first cast hooked into what felt like another really big one. A couple long, strong runs, and it was gone. Oh well, such is fishing.
I never have anything to hide when I comes to my fishing spots in the Trophy area. So, the best area was between the Point Royal tennis courts, and the "pink" house I call it high on the South bluff. I drifted pretty much in the middle of the lake, and kept the 3/32 oz P.J's jig on the bottom. The second best was a little further down, through the narrows to the old Fall Creek boat ramp.
Good Fishin', Bob
Old 04-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
shis1
Str8fn

Glad you had some good catches this week end! My nephews were at our lake house on Lake of the Ozarks and they caught lots of nice bass......best week end of fishing they've ever had on Lake of the Ozarks.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
It helps to fish where they stock 3/4 million fish a year.

"Lake Taneycomo receives 700,000 catchable trout per year . . . "
Although stockers do swim upstream into the trophy area above Fall Creek, they do not stock up there. Those fish have been stocked at some point, but to grow to the 20"+ size I'm looking for they have been in there for some time. Getting smarter, and smarter all the time.
The 700,000 stockers are mostly caught out pretty quickly. At one time I saw a report that said the average time a stocker spent in the lake was 30 days. I do fish below Fall Creek at times for a few "eaters". Also when I take someone new to Taneycomo just to get them catching fish. But my main fun is catch and release in the trophy area. Even those over 20 inches that I could legally keep get returned to the lake.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

By the way, I think it's been a while since this 20 1/2 inch pig I caught Saturday was one of those 700,000 10" stockers!
Old 04-18-2011, 05:57 AM   #5
shis1
Str8fn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 View Post
By the way, I think it's been a while since this 20 1/2 inch pig I caught Saturday was one of those 700,000 10" stockers!

Closed Thread