1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Just for Chit Chat

Old 08-20-2019, 09:32 AM   #1
OkieAnon

Owning a Condo in Branson?

anyone own their own condo in the Branson area, or thought about it?

I can't afford it ... but it's something I've thought about down the road, one of these day's i'll buy my first lottery ticket and I know it'll be a winner and.....

What are the pro's and con's?

Looks like the insurance, HOA or COA fees, cleaning fees and probably a management company, would add up, you would have to rent it several nights to break even.... yet your own place, no motel costs would all be kind of nice.
OkieAnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:02 AM   #2
leftsaidted
Ultra Member

A lot of people have done it...a lot of people love it. Do your research...buy a QUALITY unit in a QUALITY property....in a QUALITY location...from a reputable company.... Don’t buy it expecting it to increase in value, no matter where it is located...tourist towns are notorious for wild swings of property values during hard times/recessions...as they are more or less completely reliant on tourist for their existence,...be it small such as Branson/Pigeon Forge, etc, or large such as Vegas or Orlando/Celebration/Kissimmee, or Destin, etc. Buy it to ENJOY it...
leftsaidted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:58 AM   #3
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Thought about it, but decided against it. Aside from the purchase coast, which depending on the market you may or may not recoup if you sell, tyere are all the other costs. Condo fees, HOA fees, taxes, insurance, utilities. All toled, even with my eight or ten visits to Branson there was no annual monetary advantage over staying at my usual resort. The only advantage was the anytime, last minute trips. But even though Lilleys is booked months in advance, I've found decent motel accomidations for quick trips.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:33 PM   #4
soxster
Super Ultra Member

Cant speak of owning a condo in the branson area since we own a house here but we did just buy a townhouse in Orange Beach. Specifically bought in area that cannot be rented out for less than a 6 months lease. Not looking for that hassle, nor want revolving neighbors and the hassles. By the time you pay many expenses and management fees , probably not a winner in a lot of places. I will let you know in about 5 years, to see if was a good investment or not. With interest rates getting ready to drop further, take that into consideration and how much time you will actually use it. Looking to turn a profit is maybe not the best angle, use enjoyment, then it probably has more meaning no matter how it turns out.
soxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:04 AM   #5
OkieAnon

The only way I would consider it would be if I had the money to do it without going deep into debt I don't think you would want to rely on it to rent enough to think of it as an investment, more of a future retirement place to spend time (but I've always said my retirement will come when they pick me up off the floor and carry me to the funeral home). Unless gas prices turn around and go the other direction and get some drilling going on in this area having that kind of money put aside isn't something that will probably happen, still it's kind of interesting to think about.

Right now my thinking goes along the line of Rjw's in that is it really worth it with all the fees you will be forced to pay out plus the headache of dealing with it when you aren't right there.

Still it kind of interests me enough that I've had a lot of fun looking at Zillow and what is out there, there are some really nice places for sale, I kind of like some of the log cabin condo's I've seen.
OkieAnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:35 AM   #6
soxster
Super Ultra Member

Who knows a may come across a once in a life time bargain you cant pass up.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:50 PM   #7
Diane1611
Missing Branson

I would like to buy a condo in Branson when it's time for me to retire, which will be in about 10 years so I could live there. I'm not interested in buying one to rent out when I'm not there.
Diane1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:19 PM   #8
soxster
Super Ultra Member

The lakes and the forested hills are kind of nice.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:02 PM   #9
teacherkim
Super Ultra Member

Definitely something we have considered, but then we just bought a house where we live. If we did, it would be as a future retirement place, but that's about 10 years away for me, and then I would still want to work or sub at least part time. I just can't see myself not working.

My husband and I disagree about buying a condo and using it as a short term rental. I say it wouldn't be worth it unless we did that; Dan doesn't want anyone else in our home. Since we only go to Branson three weeks a year max, it doesn't seem like it would be smart to buy and leave it empty 49 weeks out of every year. So we just browse Zillow and discuss it once a month or so. It will probably happen, but not any time soon.
teacherkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:51 PM   #10
soxster
Super Ultra Member

We "commuted" for 13 years back and forth from KC to Branson before retiring in the tri-lakes area several times a month and in winter we might not come for a month or two. No regrets, we love living in the forest environment. Of course a 4 hour drive may not be your reality.