1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Just for Chit Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 09:58 AM   #1
Michael

Shepherd of the Hills Trout Hatchery

I was down at the hatchery this morning and it was so beautiful! I really enjoy seeing the mist come off Taneycomo right below the dam and watch the fisherman gear up before attempting to to outwit the wiley trout. I saw an eagle snag a fish and then land on a log and devour it's sushi feast. I filled a cup full with the fish they have there and walked the runs as I dropped the food to the young trout. I get such a feeling of power as the fish swirl and dive for the droppings! Once you run out food you just let the shadows of your hands on the water drive the fish crazy! I have been coming down here since I was a kid and I don't think there is a better free location than the Fish hatchery! I also like the museum and the folks who work there. I encourage everyone who needs a break from the strip or just wants a nice walk outside to head to the powersite turn off below the Tablerock Dam, bring a few quarters and a paper cup to get some fish food( the food makes your hands stink!!) and have fun. Kids seem to really this too!
Old 02-08-2003, 10:13 AM   #2
LadyDrifter
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

You are right Michael. That is a pretty neat place to go visit. We have a fish hatchery not too far from where I live, and it is always funny to watch the fish when they hear the food truck coming. Can't tell me that they don't know what is fixing to happen! LOL The hatchery at Branson is pretty cool due to it's location also. The dam sure looks a lot bigger when you are looking at it from the bottom up!

Lady Drifter
Old 02-08-2003, 10:14 AM   #3
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Sounds wonderful...I go to the hatchery near my home...love it.

I also love feeding the fish in my ponds..there is such a feeling of power...tossing that food....and I feel really guilty feeding them, just before I throw in my line..............heh.

Old 02-08-2003, 10:43 AM   #4
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

What a beautifully visual description, Michael.
Thank you for reminding us of the natural beauty surrounding Branson.

Suseli
Old 02-08-2003, 10:41 PM   #5
doble dude

Talking ABSOLUTELY!!

I've been to Branson for the past 2 years and went to the hatchery on both trips. It is a nice change from the other things going on in Branson and just a neat thing to do.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:50 PM   #6
ggh
Super User

Michael - You just described one of our favorite things to do while we're in Branson! (watching the fog burn off is MY personal fav)

Another favorite in the area - is Bennett Springs State Park - it's about an hours drive from your area - they also have a trout hatchery, and the surroundings provide you with a great picnic spot, camping, fishing, swimming, canoeing, hiking ... Just west of Lebanon a short distance.

Closed Thread