1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Other Destinations

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 06:03 AM   #1
Lynn Williams

Question San Antonio

Hi! Our agenda keeps growing and now includes two nights in san antonio and sea world. I am so overwhelmed with the many lodging choices! ? ! Can anyone recommend a place? I can't decide if I want to go super cheap and basic, or if I want to splurge for a place on the river walk with a rooftop pool that I think my kids would love. Priceline has some really good prices for both categories. Also, I've ran across a pretty good website, www.vacationsmadeeasy.com, that offers really good package deals, has anyone used that? I appreciate any and all advice!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
kansashusker
Super Ultra Member

We spent the week of Thanksgiving, 2011, in San Antonio. We stayed at the LaQuinta Inn and Suites Downtown for 5 nights and then moved to the Radisson on the Riverwalk for 2 nights. While the price per night was very comparable, LaQuinta offered free parking and a very good (with a lot of variety imo) breakfast. There was a trolley stop and bus stop right outside the front door and we walked to the riverwalk from this location also. Our original plan was to stay at the Radisson for 4 nights but we were so happy with LaQuinta we changed our plans. I had looked at both of these hotels on priceline but called them directly for a little more info and ended booking directly with them (and was very happy I did).
Old 02-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
Lynn Williams

Thanks kansashusker! I'll look into the Laquinta, your right about the free parking, that really adds up!

Last edited by Lynn Williams; 02-23-2012 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 02-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
pamlet
Super Ultra Member

While you pay for parking .. there are two Drury Inns right downtown ..and very close to the Riverwalk .. Their breakfasts are great. We haven't stayed at either one of these - but keep talking about doing a "Downtown Weekend" one of these days .. laugh .. anyway - that's where I've decided I want to stay.

Also - there's a new show/review down there called "Yellow Rose" I've heard is kind of fun ..

Since you'll only be here two nights - and SeaWorld is in the mix, staying down at/near the Riverwalk might be a good idea .. try to take the river boats .. and "Remember the Alamo" .. it's worth seeing that part of American history! And the courtyard is SO peaceful!
Old 02-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Lynn Williams

Thanks pamlet! I will be sure and look into the drurys as well. If I'm not mistaken, both of those have rooftop pools? ? ?
Old 02-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
kansashusker
Super Ultra Member

And if you're hungry and want to venture away from the downtown area be sure to check out the Alamo Cafe. DalmationDad recommended Alamo Cafe before we made our trip and I think he became my new best friend forever!! The food was great, the service was equally great, and our friends loved the tortilla's we brought home for them.
www.alamocafe.com
Old 02-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
pamlet
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansashusker View Post
And if you're hungry and want to venture away from the downtown area be sure to check out the Alamo Cafe. DalmationDad recommended Alamo Cafe before we made our trip and I think he became my new best friend forever!! The food was great, the service was equally great, and our friends loved the tortilla's we brought home for them.
www.alamocafe.com
Yep .. it's a favorite..

In fact we'll be going there on April 10 for DS's 23rd birthday .. It is ALWAYS his choice for his birthday dinner!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
Lynn Williams

Thanks, you guys! That was the next question on my list was where to eat! We will definitely check it out! Any other do not misses that we can cram into three days? THANKS AGAIN!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #9
neilandkris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Williams View Post
Hi! Our agenda keeps growing and now includes two nights in san antonio and sea world. I am so overwhelmed with the many lodging choices! ? ! Can anyone recommend a place? I can't decide if I want to go super cheap and basic, or if I want to splurge for a place on the river walk with a rooftop pool that I think my kids would love. Priceline has some really good prices for both categories. Also, I've ran across a pretty good website, www.vacationsmadeeasy.com, that offers really good package deals, has anyone used that? I appreciate any and all advice!
Be careful with this sight I checked it out. BBB had alot of complaints.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #10
Lynn Williams

Neilandkris, you just possibly saved me from making a huge mistake! Your right, I checked both the bbb and complaintsboard.com and the reviews are horrible! I won't fall into that trap. Thanks!!!!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #11
pamlet
Super Ultra Member

When are you going to be in San Antonio? Are you driving through? You said your agenda is growing and you've added San Antonio..

I ask because depending on where you're driving from I may be able to offer restaurant advice.. We go in spurts where we eat out a lot .. laugh ..
Old 02-25-2012, 06:36 AM   #12
Lynn Williams

Lol, we do too! Were going to be in port aransas from june 2 through 6, and then headed to san antonio for two additional nights. I am definitely interested in any advice you may have. I have only been to san antonio once, and that was on my senior trip fifteen years ago! Thanks again! ! !
Old 02-25-2012, 06:45 AM   #13
Lynn Williams

Also, pamlet, what about coupons to restaurants or sea world? I have been to branson so many times and I know about all the websites and the abundance of coupons at hotels, but I haven't began searching for money saving deals in san antonio yet. Also, I noticed your from texas, do you have any advice on the beach trip or surrounding areas on where to eat or what to do? And we live in prague, oklahoma, any thing we should not miss between here and there? Thanks again to all who have/will offer advice; I need all I can get!
Old 02-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #14
pamlet
Super Ultra Member

Here's the Convention and Vistors Bureau site .. it has a place to order a guide and coupons and such:
http://www.visitsanantonio.com/index.aspx

We've only been to the beach a few times in the 20 years we've been here. Port A is usually where we've gone- but honestly haven't been enough to offer opinions on places to eat, etch..

We did go to the Aquarium in Corpus and had a blast - and hubby and the boys have been to the USS Lexingotn - hubby could go there every time.

Port A is nice .. it reminds me of what a beach town probably was 40 years ago .. not TOO commercial ..

You'll be coming down 35 right? If it works in your plans - at Ft Worth head west and take the time to go down (or up on the way back) 281 instead .. the views are MUCH prettier and the driving MUCH less stressful ..

The first part is kind of boring .. (but pretty) but as you get down toward the hill country you'll hit Lampassas, Burnet ( it's pronounced "Burn it, Durn it" ), Marble Falls, Johnson City, Blanco..) To the west of Johnson City ( where LBJ was born and grew up) on 290 is Stonewall .. where the Johnson Ranch is .. and the Wildflower Farm.. VERY Cool .. Then Fredricksburg - a German settled town.

If you're going down 35 - Waco's neat, Austin of course, San Marcos and New Braunfels..

I'll think about food places .. laugh ..
You're coming at a time when it's not too TOO hot .. You should have a great time!

We'll be in Alaska when you're here .. so we won't be too hot either I imagine! Laugh..
Old 02-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #15
Lynn Williams

Thanks so much, pamlet! I just went online and ordered the visitors guide and it said a s.a.v.e.brochure will come too so I'm super excited about it! I am excited to go to the beach and all, but I told dear hubby the other day that I'm afraid were going to regret not spending more time in san antonio. Thanks again for all your help, I so appreciate it!

Closed Thread