1 Branson. com MO Forum
   

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Other Destinations

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #16
nanjosbrand
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 188
Circus Circus is a very inexpensice place to stay and is on the north end of the strip, so you'd be walking quite a bit to get to the "main" part of the Strip. It just depends what you're looking to do. Save some money on the hotel room and go and enjoy the atmosphere of Las Vegas!!!
nanjosbrand is offline  
Old 03-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #17
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member
 
MNtraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nixa, Missouri
Posts: 12,750
I would avoid Circus Circus. The property is not in great shape and the location is poor. I would suggest the Excalibur on the south end. It also has very low rates and is in a better location. It is between the Luxor and NY, NY and across the street from the Tropicana and the MGM Grand. Access to the Vegas monorail is good - just go across to the MGM Grand and catch it there. I've never stayed there myself... I prefer a center-strip location and usually stay at the Flamingo. But I've had several friends and family stay at the Excalibur and they all found it to be a great value.

__________________

Good Times in Branson
MNtraveler is offline  
Old 03-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #18
luvsbranson
Ultra Member
 
luvsbranson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 799
Just returned from Vegas. Had a great time.

Stayed at Treasure Island. Had a Petite Suite and it was very nice and a great rate! I signed up thru their website for their email list and was sent a discount code instantly and it was a great price. TI does have a resort fee of $20 a night.

Flew out of Houston, thru Southwest. Great flight.

I would avoid Circus Circus at all cost!! OMW, this resort is old, nasty and gave me the creeps! We left out as soon as we walked in!
We didn't care for this end of the strip. Kinda seemed ran down to us.

Lots of good fun even if you dont drink or gamble (we did neither!)

Seen the Broadway show Lion King A++++ at Mandalay Bay (which was a beautiful resort), Mystere by Cirque du Soleil at Treasure Island A++++, and Blue Man Group at the Venetian A++++.

Definately not a vacation spot for children (glad we had left ours behind). Would return but it will probably be a few years.

Not like Branson where I could spend all my vacation time
__________________


luvsbranson
luvsbranson is offline  
Old 03-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #19
arkygirl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 102
I'm almost pushing the button to go.....luvsbranson--just wondering how you filled your time if you don't drink or gamble...we don't either and wondering if I really need to go lol.....everyone says you need to see the lights of Vegas..but looking at a Monday through Friday trip and wondering what we will do out there.....
arkygirl is offline  
Old 03-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #20
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member
 
MNtraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nixa, Missouri
Posts: 12,750
Things to do in Vegas if you don't drink or gamble:

1) Shows... Vegas has a wide variety of shows with tickets in all price ranges. The Cirque du Soliel shows are excellent, but very expensive. Some of the comedy shows are very good and quite inexpensive.

2) Shopping.. My favorites include the Forum Shops at Caesar's Palace, the Grand Canal Shoppes at the Venetian and the Miracle Mile Shops at Planet Hollywood. M & M's World is fun... four floors of more M & M's stuff than you ever knew existed in the universe.

3) Eating… from fantastic buffets to high-end gourmet dining, Vegas has every type of food you could possibly want.

4) Lions, Tigers and Bears, oh my! Well, at least lions and tigers at the MGM Lion Habitat and the Secret Garden at the Mirage.

5) Fun stuff at the hotels... Eiffel Tower Experience at the Paris, Volcano at the Mirage, Sirens of TI at Treasure Island (somewhat racy), Fountains at Bellagio, Classic and Antique Cars at the Imperial Palace, Wildlife Habitat at the Flamingo, Adventuredome Theme Park at Circus, Circus, Star Trek: The Experience at the Hilton, ride a gondola on the canal at the Venetian.

6) Spectacular scenery... Red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire, Mt Charleston, Lake Mead and Hoover Dam.

7) The Fremont Street Experience... an unbelievable light and sound show shown on a 1/4-mile long screen 90 feet above the ground.

These are the things that came to mind, but I’m sure there are many I’ve forgotten. You would stay VERY busy trying to do even 1/3 of this stuff in five days.

__________________

Good Times in Branson
MNtraveler is offline  
Old 03-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #21
luvsbranson
Ultra Member
 
luvsbranson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkygirl View Post
I'm almost pushing the button to go.....luvsbranson--just wondering how you filled your time if you don't drink or gamble...we don't either and wondering if I really need to go lol.....everyone says you need to see the lights of Vegas..but looking at a Monday through Friday trip and wondering what we will do out there.....
It is a wonderful place to see. I was nervous about the same thing but we found so many things to do.

Every resort/casino has a 'mall'. Lots of shopping or even window shopping.

We did the Secret Garden Dolphin and Lion exhibit at Mirage. OMW, we were there about 2 hours. It was sooooo peaceful. Plus we had AWESOME weather so that was a plus. You can even be a dolphin trainer for a day.

We rode the Gondola's thru the Venetican. Our 'driver' sang to us and had a gorgeous voice! She was from Italy and very good!

Watched the fountains at the Bellagio, very nice!. The volcano erupts at the Mirage also.

Lots of people watching too There are some funny sites there LOL

We went to the outlet mall. About 2 miles from Mandalay Bay.

You can get a 3 day pass for the Duece bus for $20. We did that after the first night. Our feet were killing us!! You walk so much!

We had some good and bad food. Food is not cheap!

Check out the Frommer's Vegas Book at your library. it had a TON of useful info in it. Places to stay, dining, entertainment etc.

We stayed 3 nights. I wouldn't stay past that. Even 2 nights would have been good. The smoking in every casino was about our main complaint, your clothes absolutely reek of smoke.

Tons of shows to see also. The 3 we seen were wonderful. Went thru Vegas.com to get Lion King and Mystere tickets. Then once we got there, they had a 1/2 price ticket booth stand in multiple places and decided to see Blue Man Group. No problems with buying thru Vegas.com. they had a tickets ready when we went to pick up. Both of them we also got Category 2 seating for Category 3 pricing which was nice. Blue Man Group, we got the cheapest seats and the seats were fine. I think every seat in the theatre would have been good the way the theatre was set up!

We didn't see half of it in our 3 nights but we got a great idea of what Vegas is all about. And some awesome photos!!!!!!!
__________________


luvsbranson

Last edited by luvsbranson; 03-15-2011 at 07:27 PM.
luvsbranson is offline  
Old 03-14-2011, 01:30 AM   #22
arkygirl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 102
Vegas

You guys are awesome...now I just gotta get it done.....thanks for the suggestions..much appreciated...
arkygirl is offline  
Old 03-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #23
midnite_cruzer
Sportin' the 'stache.
 
midnite_cruzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Claremore OK
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsbranson View Post
Went thru Vegas.com to get Lion King and Mystere tickets. Then once we got there, they had a 1/2 price ticket booth stand in multiple places and decided to see Blue Man Group.
Thanks for the heads-up regarding the 1/2 price kiosks. I've wondered if they really were a good deal. I got Blue Man tix through Travelocity and Elton John and Spamalot tix through Vegas.com. The Blue Man tix came with comp tix to Madame Toussaud's and the Elton John and Spamalot came with comp drinks. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see Spamalot because we were weathered in at George Bush for 12 hours.

I guess I'm the only person I know who's had a pleasant experience at Circus Circus. My room was newly renovated and I could still smell the newness in the carpet. I decided to stay there once when I took my son with me and had read a rave review of it on TripAdvisor - which I later found out was written by a 14-year-old British girl. (Spot on! This room has its own lou!) I also had a lovely view of the pile of rubble that was once the Stardust.

When you saw Blue Man, did they do the thing where the jumbotron follows the latecomers to their seats? Do they still perform Rods & Cones? That's the bit where the statues come to life.
__________________
"Before many years a railway will find its way yonder. Then many will come, and the beautiful hills that have been my strength and peace will become the haunt of idlers and a place of revelry. I am glad that I shall not be here."
midnite_cruzer is offline  
Old 03-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #24
luvsbranson
Ultra Member
 
luvsbranson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite_cruzer View Post
Thanks for the heads-up regarding the 1/2 price kiosks. I've wondered if they really were a good deal. I got Blue Man tix through Travelocity and Elton John and Spamalot tix through Vegas.com. The Blue Man tix came with comp tix to Madame Toussaud's and the Elton John and Spamalot came with comp drinks. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see Spamalot because we were weathered in at George Bush for 12 hours.

I guess I'm the only person I know who's had a pleasant experience at Circus Circus. My room was newly renovated and I could still smell the newness in the carpet. I decided to stay there once when I took my son with me and had read a rave review of it on TripAdvisor - which I later found out was written by a 14-year-old British girl. (Spot on! This room has its own lou!) I also had a lovely view of the pile of rubble that was once the Stardust.

When you saw Blue Man, did they do the thing where the jumbotron follows the latecomers to their seats? Do they still perform Rods & Cones? That's the bit where the statues come to life.
Well when we walked into Circus Circus, it smelled so dirty and looked the same. There was an 'infectious waste' bin in the women's bathroom like at a dr's office that was loaded with needles??????? um, we left as soon as I seen that.

No neither of those things were done at Blue Man. Guess it has changed up a bit?
__________________


luvsbranson
luvsbranson is offline  
Old 03-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #25
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member
 
MNtraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nixa, Missouri
Posts: 12,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsbranson View Post
Well when we walked into Circus Circus, it smelled so dirty and looked the same. There was an 'infectious waste' bin in the women's bathroom like at a dr's office that was loaded with needles??????? um, we left as soon as I seen that.
That is not entirely uncommon in casino restrooms. It allows diabetics to safely dispose of their needles.
__________________

Good Times in Branson
MNtraveler is offline  
Old 03-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #26
luvsbranson
Ultra Member
 
luvsbranson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
That is not entirely uncommon in casino restrooms. It allows diabetics to safely dispose of their needles.
That is the only one I seen it in and I seen a lot of the bathrooms LOL. I thought about the diabetics.. I am hoping that was what is was for. It was FULL..
__________________


luvsbranson
luvsbranson is offline  


 

Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Las Vegas Sheila Other Destinations 7 02-19-2007 09:09 AM
Las Vegas Sheila Other Destinations 0 12-29-2006 10:03 AM
Off to Vegas! :) Jerm Other Destinations 11 06-23-2006 10:39 AM
las vegas carol44 Other Destinations 1 05-12-2006 10:32 AM
Las Vegas anyone??? ggh Just for Chit Chat 8 09-27-2002 07:49 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:55 PM.


--