1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Other Destinations

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
SHOW GAL
SHOW GAL

Food Poisoning

Sunday night a Mexican restaurant here in KC, had 20 people immediately get sick with what, so far, has been classified as "food poisoning".

This restaurant was Mi Ranchito's, which, in my opinion, had some of the best Mexican food in the area. They do a very good business so food turnover should be pretty fast.

The reason I mention this, as this isn't a chain that has a restaurant in Branson, is because due to Mexican food having a large amount of seasoning, it is possible, they say, for the food to be bad and you would not pick up a strange taste as quick as you would in other foods.

I did not know that you got sick that quickly on food poisoning. Ithought it took a couple of hours, but these people got sick before they left the restuarant. Some of the people had to go to the hospital and others did not.

They are still investigating and I will keep you posted when they give details what caused the food poisoning. In the meantime, be careful if anything you are eating has a slightly different taste than usual.

Branson Show Reviews by SHOW GAL

http://BransonShowGal.wordpress.com/
Old 08-31-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
Ms_Terese
Local Member

Was that the place in Lenexa? I read the restaurant announced the problem was with the soda machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOW GAL View Post
Sunday night a Mexican restaurant here in KC, had 20 people immediately get sick with what, so far, has been classified as "food poisoning".

This restaurant was Mi Ranchito's, which, in my opinion, had some of the best Mexican food in the area. They do a very good business so food turnover should be pretty fast.

The reason I mention this, as this isn't a chain that has a restaurant in Branson, is because due to Mexican food having a large amount of seasoning, it is possible, they say, for the food to be bad and you would not pick up a strange taste as quick as you would in other foods.

I did not know that you got sick that quickly on food poisoning. Ithought it took a couple of hours, but these people got sick before they left the restuarant. Some of the people had to go to the hospital and others did not.

They are still investigating and I will keep you posted when they give details what caused the food poisoning. In the meantime, be careful if anything you are eating has a slightly different taste than usual.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
SHOW GAL
SHOW GAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Terese View Post
Was that the place in Lenexa? I read the restaurant announced the problem was with the soda machine.
Yes, it was their location in Lenexa. They have about four locations and this is the only one where they had the problem.

Our local news hasn't even said it was the soda machine so, your news is ahead of ours. Our stations may be trying to keep it quiet, that really gives me confidence in our stations. They may have an update on the 5 PM news.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
Branson Bluesman
Banned

Maybe they can change the name to Mi Diarrheato's...
Old 08-31-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
Ms_Terese
Local Member

I don't know if the health dept. has stated that, I read that's what the restaurant put out in a press release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOW GAL View Post
Yes, it was their location in Lenexa. They have about four locations and this is the only one where they had the problem.

Our local news hasn't even said it was the soda machine so, your news is ahead of ours. Our stations may be trying to keep it quiet, that really gives me confidence in our stations. They may have an update on the 5 PM news.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
SHOW GAL
SHOW GAL

Now, they are saying it might be copper poisoning. They said there should be a backflow indicator that keeps the soda from the copper.

They said it takes about six hours for food poisoning to show up.

Also found out this restaurant was closed earlier this month with some health issues.

More later.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:11 PM   #7
SHOW GAL
SHOW GAL

They are now saying, if the problem we caused by a back flow in the soda machine not operating efficiently, it would be the responsibiity of either Coke or Pepsi, depending on what type pop they serve.

However, they aso say that some of the people that got sick, had not been drinking carbonated beverages. I guess it is possible, if you see a group of people sick all over the parking lot, it is possible, if you weren't feeling good in the first place, to blame it on the meal, if at that time they thought it was food poisoning. There are also the people who, any time there is a problem about anything, immediately think of a law suit.

My problem is that the restaurant was closed earlier due to some health problems on one of their inspections. Their kitchen is pretty close to the eating area and I always looked back in the kitchen area, as I am pretty picky about where I eat, and the area always looked clean; however, it could be areas that are out of sight.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:55 PM   #8
shis1
Str8fn

The news report I heard tonight said the 'victims' became sick 'immediately' ---- that some didn't even make it to the bathroom before vomitting!
Old 08-31-2009, 08:27 PM   #9
ggh
Super User

Mexican is out for me for a while - and I don't live anywhere near there!
Old 08-31-2009, 09:00 PM   #10
Lydia1959

Quote:
In the meantime, be careful if anything you are eating has a slightly different taste than usual.
I had food poisoning once and I know the exact bite that did it. It was at a Chinese restaurant in the St. Louis area. One bite of the chicken dish I ordered didn't taste right and instead of spitting it out in front of my friends, I swallowed it. I got deathly ill about 24 hours later.

Most food poisoning starts as soon as 2 hours after you've ingested the food or as late as several days after eating the offending food. I've never heard of food poisoning right away. It'll be interesting to see what caused all these people to get sick.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:47 PM   #11
shellhud

I had food poisioning once and it happened with in a hour or so. We didn't get far from the resturant before I was throwing up. Went to the ER and they pumped me full of fluids. I have never been so sick in my life. And my poor parents had both of my kids in the waiting room by themselves and trying to worry about me.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:36 AM   #12
SHOW GAL
SHOW GAL

On the news this morning, they stated they were still investigating the cause.

One of the paramedics, said he really enjoyed eating there but was disappointed after the first problem last month, they were having yet another problem.

The only way I see they can come out of this without it completed destroying their business, at least at this location, is if they do find it was the back flow problem in the soda machine.

Will keep you all posted as more items on investigation become available.

Until then, be very careful what you eat, especially food that is highly seasoned where a foreign taste might not be detected,

Don't want any of my friends here getting sick.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:38 AM   #13
k-2
Ultra Member

Ugh!! Knowing this about the soda machines--what do we order to drink now?? Even the water comes from soda machines sometimes!!!!!
Old 09-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #14
SHOW GAL
SHOW GAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-2 View Post
Ugh!! Knowing this about the soda machines--what do we order to drink now?? Even the water comes from soda machines sometimes!!!!!
I confess to being a Cokeaholic and I really don't enjoy my meal unless I have a Coke, or second best, Pepsi with whatever I am eating.

At one time, I owned a bakery and know how thoroughly clean the soda machines must be kept to be sanitary and safe.

I try to eat at places that look like they are clean. If a place, shows signs of not being clean, we walk out as quickly as we walked in. I know this doesn't guarantee not being involved in a bad situation, but, I guess, when we eat out, we realize we are opening ourselves up to kitchen conditions that probably are not as good as they are at home.

Hopefully, when health departments hear about something like this case, they start looking a little more thoroughly at the restaurants.

I would be willing, and would prefer, taking my own Coke into restaurants, but restaurants normally do not allow any outside food or drink being brought into their establishment, not knowing if anything is wrong with what the patron may have.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #15
StarsRUs
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
I just asked DH about it. He said he didn't think food poisoning EVER affected people, that fast. He said he would be more inclined to believe there was some kind of contaminant in the food or drink...detergent, bleach, etc.

Of course, he hadn't even heard about it...so, that's purely speculation.
Food Poisoning can take place within 20-30 minutes. Sometimes quicker in people with low immune systems, (elderly or small children).

We cleaned our soda machine nozzles nightly, and our health inspector inspected them on every visit. So much depends on the management and the Health Department for that county.

You're more apt to catch something or get ill from the servers using them with unclean hands, or on the self serve ones, that are touched by every customer that they have, with 'who knows what'...colds, flu, diareaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOW GAL
The only way I see they can come out of this without it completed destroying their business, at least at this location, is if they do find it was the back flow problem in the soda machine.
If they're a good restaurant with a good reputation prior to this, they should come out of it fine. Cooperation with the investigation and good PR work will easily salvage their reputation.

The largest outbreak of Ecoli in the US history happened in a restaurant here in Oklahoma about a year or so ago. Country Cottage in Locust Grove (which we eat at quite often).

There were almost 350 people effected, over 70 were hospitalized, some for months with Kidney failure and are still recovering... One died. Two, but they had a hard time proving the second was due to eating there.

The family that owns the restaurant were (and still are) just emotionally devestated. They were closed for months. Then after months and months of investigations, they reopened. And have a very busy restaurant again.

So this one can overcome it. Cooperation with finding the cause is the first step.

Closed Thread