1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Other Destinations

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #16
lovemycondo
Grandma of 4 & loving it

Scissortail- depending if you go on the early or later train (if they are running 2 at the time you go), you may go directly from the train to the bus like we did. Be sure and use the restroom on the train and take a bottle of water or something sealable to drink. If not and you go direct like we did, it can be a long rim tour. We asked our server and followed her suggestions. Have fun. You'll love the view. Seems like a 3 D pic instead of the real thing. Also, even if you don't need the train's restroom, go check out the width of the door. We got a good chuckle out of it. It's very narrow and DH is wide. He entered side ways.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:37 AM   #17
kbradleyar
Super Ultra Member

I went on the train a few years ago and loved it. I am over 300 pounds and 6 foot tall. I had a BAD time with the restroom on the train.

It looked like a Pink Panther movie and I was playing Peter Sellers.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:07 AM   #18
lovemycondo
Grandma of 4 & loving it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbradleyar View Post
I went on the train a few years ago and loved it. I am over 300 pounds and 6 foot tall. I had a BAD time with the restroom on the train.

It looked like a Pink Panther movie and I was playing Peter Sellers.
My dh was nice enough to pose for me for pics of him going through the bathroom door. He is also 6' and over 300 lbs. My poor cousin was laughing at him when we took the pics but then he did comment... this is funny but I really got to go! My dh or myself, neither had trouble with the restroom, just a lot of fun with the door way. It would be very small if you need to take a child inside with you. If that is the case, you would need to leave the door open.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:17 PM   #19
scissortail
~*~*~*~*~*~

Quote:
Be sure and use the restroom on the train and take a bottle of water or something sealable to drink
Thanks for the warning, about the restrooms!
Last year, my sisters and I, took the Amtrak train from OKC to Ft.Worth.
The restrooms, on that train were very small!! I weighed about 40 lbs more then, than I do now, and it was a tight fit, let me tell you!

I rarely go anywhere without a bottle of water!
Do they serve bottled water on the train? Or should I bring my own?
Old 08-11-2007, 06:53 AM   #20
lovemycondo
Grandma of 4 & loving it

Quote:
Originally Posted by scissortail View Post
Thanks for the warning, about the restrooms!
Last year, my sisters and I, took the Amtrak train from OKC to Ft.Worth.
The restrooms, on that train were very small!! I weighed about 40 lbs more then, than I do now, and it was a tight fit, let me tell you!

I rarely go anywhere without a bottle of water!
Do they serve bottled water on the train? Or should I bring my own?
The size of the restroom is not bad for one person, once you are inside. It would be tough as I said if you are taking in a child with you.

The car we were on only served pop. I'm sure if you checked in the dining car, they would serve water. With our boxed lunch, we had a choice of water or pop.

We bought a case of water from Wal-Mart when we were in Lake Havasu City so I took my own. I tasted the water in Williams to check it out and was greatful we had our own water already bought or we would of needed to hit the grocery store immediately. I'm not one to drink water I don't like and I'm like you I rarely go somewhere without a bottle of water with me. FYI, Williams has a very nice grocery store. Top notch. Deli also in the store.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:11 AM   #21
kbradleyar
Super Ultra Member

I ONLY drink bottled water when I travel. I travel a lot and I have had stomach problems when I traveled and drank the water. I talked to my doctor and he said that different towns use different chemicals and/or different levels of chemicals and some stomachs are sensative to the chemicals since they are all a diluted poison to kill germs in the water.

At my house I have a filter and I only drink bottled water when I travel.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:13 PM   #22
scissortail
~*~*~*~*~*~

I'm so excited!!

Old 09-30-2007, 08:01 AM   #23
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

I think yer going to go?

My Son from MO, and wife toured the back roads in AZ and had a ball..(in Aug/Sept)..then went all over and toured the ''off road places'', and they went to the North Rim, and it must not have been terribly expensive...

Now, AZ Son, and wife are going, but they tour differently...they go first class, no back roads.

They are driving to Williams and staying overnight, then taking a train to the Canyon, and staying in a Hotel that is on the edge of the Rim, they will tour, then stay again in that Hotel, then take the train back to Williams the next day and stay there...then drive back home to Tucson.
I think they are going ''soon''.

(They are AZ residents who have only worked at the canyon...(Son was in a harness with a police dog, hanging from a helicopter on CNN about 10+ years ago..........tracking a prison escapee).............its TIME to enjoy the sights while on a weekend vacation.)

These are average American bears.......State and Federal jobs..so they are not paying big bucks to travel and sight see.........must be good pricing for the venues.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:48 AM   #24
lovemycondo
Grandma of 4 & loving it

Quote:
Originally Posted by scissortail View Post
I'm so excited!!

Have fun and let us know about your trip.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:45 PM   #25
scissortail
~*~*~*~*~*~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
They are driving to Williams and staying overnight, then taking a train to the Canyon, and staying in a Hotel that is on the edge of the Rim, they will tour, then stay again in that Hotel, then take the train back to Williams the next day and stay there...
That's exactly what we are doing!

lovemycondo, I will be glad to report back!
Thanks for all your advice about the train, etc.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:56 PM   #26
Branson Junkie
Super Ultra Member

Enjoyed reading the Grand Canyon/Arizona posts. My husband and I leave for 2 weeks in Phoenix this Wednesday. We're going to the NASCAR races that first weekend and then will do lots of sightseeing. We plan to do a Grand Canyon tour, though not the train. Our view will be of the south rim. We will also visit Mexico and just check out the Phoenix area. Never been to AZ before so I'm looking forward to it. My only concern is that our Midwestern billfolds will be deflated quickly with west coast prices. Oh well, we only do trips like this every couple years. The prices in Branson do spoil you.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:45 PM   #27
adair iowa

I loved the Grand Canyon.
Would go back tomorrow.
Would love to stay there for a month just to see different times of the day & be able to take pictures of those times.
have fun.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:34 PM   #28
kbradleyar
Super Ultra Member

Be sure and stop of at Meteorite Crater near Flagstaff, AZ on I-40. It is a wonder to see and is only a short way off the freeway. I enjoy science and space and this is a fun place to stop and stretch your legs.

http://www.meteorcrater.com/visitorcenter/overview.htm
Old 06-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #29
Branson Junkie
Super Ultra Member

Just found my post from before our Arizona trip. Had a nice time, though not great. As I said, we stayed in Phoenix and went primarily for the NASCAR race and then stayed beyond. Doubt that we'll go back, at least no time soon. Traffic in the area was somewhat overhwelming for us. The race was okay, but not great, and our tour wasn't as good as the previous one. Grand Canyon was impressive, but we won't likely return their either, believing that if we've seen it once that's sufficient. The canyon is SO-O-O-O-O-O-O BIG, that I kind of think it can't be appreciated by the average person. Lots of unusual scenery that was nice to see, and I'm glad we went, but like I said we probably won't be back anytime soon. As is tyical for midwesterners, the prices of things were somewhat shocking. Our dollars don't go very far there.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:05 PM   #30
deb_803
George Strait Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branson Junkie View Post
Just found my post from before our Arizona trip. Had a nice time, though not great. As I said, we stayed in Phoenix and went primarily for the NASCAR race and then stayed beyond. Doubt that we'll go back, at least no time soon. Traffic in the area was somewhat overhwelming for us. The race was okay, but not great, and our tour wasn't as good as the previous one. Grand Canyon was impressive, but we won't likely return their either, believing that if we've seen it once that's sufficient. The canyon is SO-O-O-O-O-O-O BIG, that I kind of think it can't be appreciated by the average person. Lots of unusual scenery that was nice to see, and I'm glad we went, but like I said we probably won't be back anytime soon. As is tyical for midwesterners, the prices of things were somewhat shocking. Our dollars don't go very far there.
Did you take a walk out on the new walkway? How was that? I've seen pictures and it looks scary to me. I'm not sure I could handle walking out on it.

This link should take you to the Rankin Brothers FB Fan Page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/121168961253976/

Closed Thread