1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Shows

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
helppitch

Daniel O'Donnell Show

We went to the show Friday afternoon. The show began at 2:00 P.M. & lasted to almost 5:00. The time just flew by, as usual Daniel was his energetic self. Mary Duff is an excellent singer also. This is a very talented group, band, backup singers who have remained together for years. The theatre was packed & I believe they had to turn some people away at the box office. You will leave this show, feeling like you have been entertained.

Last edited by helppitch; 11-06-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
can'tcatchup
Super Ultra Member

We went to Daniel's show on Wednesday. The theater was packed& the show didn't start till 2:15 because there were still several bus loads of people to seat. It was over around 5:25 pm, and then he still did a meet & greet. We didn't stay for that, mainly because my feet couldn't have stood that Lon, but also, we were anxious to get over to Shorty Small's for dinner. (Apparently we weren't the only ones because we had an hour's wait to be seated there.)

Daniel kept us entertained during the 15 minutes before the show started by talking to us, and singing a couple songs without accompaniment, from behind the curtain!

It was basically the same show that I saw 4 times in August when I was in Ireland, with a few changes for American audiences, but I could easily watch it another 5 times! I agree with helppitch, he truly does entertain!
Old 11-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
can'tcatchup
Super Ultra Member

I've been told a pretty strong rumor (in fact when told to me, it was not called a rumor, but fact .... I hesitate to quite go that far however; thus the "strong rumor" reference) that Daniel O'Donnell will NOT be performing at the Moon River when he returns for his annual 5-6 week engagement in Branson in 2014. I can only speculate why as I was not given the reason(s) for this decision. It's kind of a shame since performing there was a longtime dream of Daniel's going back to his first visit to Branson.

I understand that tickets for his 2014 show had gone on sale about a week ago, but sales were quickly put on hold a couple days later, and that his lawyers are looking into the possibilities of going back to Branson Events Center (former Tri-Lakes). Knowing Daniel, I'm sure that if that happens, he will do everything possible to assure his fans have a great experience attending his shows in 2014, and he is well aware of the changes at that theater.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by can'tcatchup View Post
I've been told a pretty strong rumor (in fact when told to me, it was not called a rumor, but fact .... I hesitate to quite go that far however; thus the "strong rumor" reference) that Daniel O'Donnell will NOT be performing at the Moon River when he returns for his annual 5-6 week engagement in Branson in 2014. I can only speculate why as I was not given the reason(s) for this decision. It's kind of a shame since performing there was a longtime dream of Daniel's going back to his first visit to Branson.

I understand that tickets for his 2014 show had gone on sale about a week ago, but sales were quickly put on hold a couple days later, and that his lawyers are looking into the possibilities of going back to Branson Events Center (former Tri-Lakes). Knowing Daniel, I'm sure that if that happens, he will do everything possible to assure his fans have a great experience attending his shows in 2014, and he is well aware of the changes at that theater.
I wonder if he's not going back to Moon River due to the difficulty of access for people who use wheelchairs, etc.?
Old 11-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
can'tcatchup
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitcreek View Post
I wonder if he's not going back to Moon River due to the difficulty of access for people who use wheelchairs, etc.?
I'll admit that I wondered about that, but seems he would've known about the problems handicapped have at that theater before signing up for using it this year. Still, it could be "part" of the reason. I wondered if another reason might be the delayed starting time of shows there. The last 2 shows I saw there (Rich Little in September in the evening, & Daniel's show a week ago Wednesday afternoon) had delayed starts due to the late seating of several motorcoach groups. I've heard last Wednesday was not an isolated case. But I also realize that was Veteran's week. There does seem to be a logjam formed on that road in front of the theater when several coaches have turned off 76 onto it. I know we made a right turn onto that street & sat there in traffic that wouldn't move as 2 coaches were waiting to make the left turn to unload right in front of the theater. They were waiting because other coaches were unloading there at the time.

That was the only traffic jam we were in during the entire Veteran's week. I was afraid we'd be late to the show, but wouldn't have had to worry since the show didn't start till 15 minutes after advertised time. I know Daniel felt badly for the folks who had been sitting in their seats for 30-45 minutes already before the delay, and he sort of entertained through the curtain!

I don't think I mentioned that intermission was also a problem as masses wanted to head for the restrooms & gift shop/snack bar. It took the entire intermission to get from seats in the lower left section across the theater & out of door C, and up the 8 or 9 steps to the ladies room and back to their seats without any needless dawdling. You could either go to the restroom, or the gift shop/snack bar, no time for both. Intermission was extended, but not very much & there were still lots of people returning to their seats when the 2nd half started. I'd never seen anything like it. We were literally standing on those steps 4-6 abreast for 10-15 minutes inching up one step at a time till we reached the water fountains & ladies room. We kept a narrow section open for folks going down the steps back to the theater. It was a mess! Not sure what could be done, but seems like someone from the theater should've been directing foot traffic or something. That said, the crowds that Daniel attracts probably surpass their normal ones & so maybe they weren't prepared. I doubt there was more than a seat or two empty in the whole theater!
Old 11-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
shis1
Str8fn

It also took forever to exit the theater when the shows were over. The lines were so long and people moving so slow trying to exit the theater that we just sat down and waited for the masses to clear out of the auditorium. And the night we saw the Osmonds/LennonSisters, when we got to the lobby it was worse than a 'hwy 76 traffic jam! The Lennon Sisters were sitting at the autograph table, but the Osmonds were In amongst the crowd, shaking hands, taking pictures, etc. it was a madhouse out there. Never been in 'after show mass confusion situation' like that before at any Branson show.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
can'tcatchup
Super Ultra Member

shis1, yes, that too! We finally made it through the lobby, out & up the hill & then had another hour's wait at Shorty Small's. Good thing we didn't have much else planned that Wednesday day or evening!
Old 11-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
sammie

Daniel

We were also very disappointed that Daniel would have his great show at Moon River because of the way the theatre is not equipped to handle wheelchair guests. He should rent a threatre so everyone can enjoy it.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
Branson Junkie
Super Ultra Member

I think that's one of the best theaters in town to watch a show, but one of the worst to get into or out of. I also think walking in the parking lot is an accident waiting to happen.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
persimmons
traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by shis1 View Post
It also took forever to exit the theater when the shows were over. The lines were so long and people moving so slow trying to exit the theater that we just sat down and waited for the masses to clear out of the auditorium. And the night we saw the Osmonds/LennonSisters, when we got to the lobby it was worse than a 'hwy 76 traffic jam! The Lennon Sisters were sitting at the autograph table, but the Osmonds were In amongst the crowd, shaking hands, taking pictures, etc. it was a madhouse out there. Never been in 'after show mass confusion situation' like that before at any Branson show.
Sounds like we were at the same show. It might have been the only time the osmonds were doing a meet and greet. As we always sit and wait for the logjam in theatres to subside, we never really see the mad dash.

Last edited by persimmons; 11-20-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
persimmons
traveller

I'm not sure I see the same problems at the MRT. I'ver never had any problem with the parking lot. We don't have to be in the big rush most seem to be in though. I did notice in multiple theatres that people leave a lot before a show ends...often well before a show ends. We just wait out the mad rush to leave either in the theatre or gift shop or talking to folks. Handicap parking is nearly in front of the front door. Additional handicap parking is closer than regular paRKING. I also saw them allow drop-offs. I guess if one got there minutes before a show it might be a bit of a wait. I did notice busses coming in just before the shows and even right on top of time...some coming from thje same restaurant we'd just seen them at when we left. I'm not sure why so many theatres had late busses this year. I did not think that Veteran's week was as busy as in years past.

I made a concerted effort to note how handicap access went at MRT this year. There was the standard last row with access either via the internal ramp or outside if you walk towards 76 along the decorative creek path, it takes you up to the top doors...no steps. I was in MRT for 3 shows and also saw people coming in from the bus side of the theatre. I didn't see where they were being seated however.

Crowds were good at the regular christmas show (saw it twice) as well as for Daniel. Meet and greets for Lennons were really good...they were engaging. However, Daniel's meet and greets (my 1st time ever) were amazing. He really spends a LOT of time with people...talking, hugging, kissing, posing for pics, etc. etc. If you're in a hurry...probably not for you. But if you're a big fan...I can see why his shows fill. I heard there were some people who were staying weeks and going to his shows every day.

I only saw the osmonds at a meet and greet once during the two shows on our visit. When it did happen, I also found them to be engaging...especially Jimmy who seemed to go out of his way to talk to people.

Last edited by persimmons; 11-19-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #12
shis1
Str8fn

Quote:
Originally Posted by persimmons View Post
Sounds like we were at the same show. It might have been the only time the osmonds were doing a meet and greet. As we alsways sit and wait for the logjam in theatres to subside, we never really see the mad dash.
We were at a Saturday night show. I talked to one lady who was in town for 3 weeks and she was going to see every one of Daniel's show that was presented during those 3 weeks......same seat in the front row for every show but one, and they 'messed up' on one show, so she said they 'comped' her ticket, but she still had a front row seat, just not front row center!.

As for busses/parking lots, we were told 'by someone in the know' that many of the coaches have to be parked 'off sight' after they unload passengers as there isn't enough parking on the property of Moon River.

We shared a table with 2 other couples for a lunch one day (none of us were acquainted, the restaurant asked us to share the table as they were crowded) and one of the gentleman was a guy who had been Andy Williams' personal assistant for several years, up until the day he died. We talked about the parking for the theater, and he said people had talked to Andy about providing a shuttle for the parking lot, but Andy didn't think it was necessary. Andy said he could 'walk the hills', he didn't see why others couldn't do the same. The assistant said that the shuttle wasn't added till after Andy was no longer involved.........
Old 11-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #13
can'tcatchup
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by persimmons View Post
I heard there were some people who were staying weeks and going to his shows every day.
Yes, some of his "groupies" attend all 27 of his Branson shows & have been doing it for years! They even take the same photos daily during the shows & post them to an internet group. I'm not sure what they get out of that! Imagine the hotel & food bill! The price of the shows alone would be more than $1200! I love, love, love Daniel O'Donnell, am a big fan, even a member of his international fan club, but I'm not that crazy & I value much more the nice vacations, with a variety, I could have for that kind of money!

That said, I went on an Ireland/Scotland tour this past summer with other fans that included seeing his same show 4 times, but at least it was in 4 different cities. It was also basically the same show as in Branson with a few key differences. One of my fellow tour participants happened to be at the same show I attended in Branson on November 6. She'd just arrived & was staying a month! Daniel's shows bring a lot to the Branson economy that I'm sure would be noticed if he ever quit coming there.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
can'tcatchup
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shis1 View Post
Andy said he could 'walk the hills', he didn't see why others couldn't do the same. The assistant said that the shuttle wasn't added till after Andy was no longer involved.........
There are those of us who are a LOT younger than Andy was who find it difficult, if not impossible, to "walk those hills". It surprises me that he would've made such a statement. I didn't know that there was a parking lot shuttle there.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #15
shis1
Str8fn

Quote:
Originally Posted by can'tcatchup View Post
There are those of us who are a LOT younger than Andy was who find it difficult, if not impossible, to "walk those hills". It surprises me that he would've made such a statement. I didn't know that there was a parking lot shuttle there.
We saw the 'little bus' both times we were at the show ----- a very small bus that might hold a maximum of 12-15 people per 'trip'. The driver seemed to be very accommodating about stopping and 'picking up' or unloading passengers wherever they requested, rather than having predesignated stops. Just my opinion, but I think they could use 3 or 4 busses when some entertainers are appearing!

Closed Thread