1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Just for Chit Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
lucyann
Super Ultra Member

Red face Toilet paper & paper towels

Let's talk toilet paper and paper towels.
It's so frustrating and discouraging to go grocery and household shopping. I do one big haul a month and fill in as needed. We all know how much prices have went up. However, when is it going to stop?!?
Wal-Mart had the toilet paper that I use (Cottonelle purple pkg) on price roll back a couple of months ago. However, it's the huge pkg and I have only so much space to stockpile. The last time I shopped the price was a few cents shy of $8. Yesterday the price was $8.65.
It's not like buying a pkg of cookies or box of snack crackers. Those items aren't always necessary. TP is essential. Now, you more mature folks don't go saying the Sears & Roebuck catalog was just fine for TP. Or, even a corncob or dry leaves.
It irritates me that the manufacturers coupons for TP are usually 25. That's 25 for a $6-8 item. That's just insulting. 25 is fine for a four roll pack but that's a slap in the face for the larger pkg.
And, don't get me started on paper towels either. I noticed that the big select-a-size single roll of Bounty is $1.96. I started buying Wal-Green brand that's very comparable to Bounty and I like the quality just fine. I also buy Bounty in the multipack at Sam's. Last week I bought a multipack on sale at Wal-Greens using a $1 coupon my mom had gotten in the mail. I'd love some more of those nice size coupons. Those coupons are usually 25 too.
Of course, paper towels really aren't a necessity. I have cut back considerably on using paper towels. If there's a spill I grab a towel and tell the kids to leave the paper towels alone and get a towel.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

well...I am addicted to the good stuff...

I buy the large 12 double roll package of The Blue Package with the Yellow Puppies on it. Might be made by Kleenix?

I buy the 12 roll Brawny large sheet (as opposed to pic a size)........
I buy the 12 roll Bounty large sheet

I use more paper towels than is necessary, but I hate a wet dish cloth hanging around.
I also now use microfiber towels and cloths in the kitchen, and they do not sour...and they shine everything up with water, and I use less 409 and windex etc.........

I have quit using fabric softener in the dispenser cup, now that all brands of washers are having problems with this new THICK product to help cut back on plastic bottles. I do a drop in the wash load (meaning I buy very little of it). So with what I save on fabric softner I spend on paper products that I love.

To cover the static cling issue .... I buy dryer sheets, and to protect my dryer I've discovered this product can be cut into halves or quartered....and it works as good as a whole sheet. Thus saving more for my top of the line paper products and detergents.

I have to have this talk to myself about not buying store brands, and alternatives that have coupons etc.........I know what I like and I hate to change.

So I rationalize
Old 08-15-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
CHRISTISAM2001
El Grando Branson Lover

Well, thank goodness I dont have to buy paper towels...my brother works at GP and they get free cases of paper towels every now and then and they always give me a few rolls a month. But I also use dish towels, so I do go easy on my paper towels. I buy Scott tp and you can sign up on their website and can print coupons for $1.00 off packages...Dollar General sells their packages of scott tp cheaper than walmart.

Now, I know a girl who is very frugal and she makes her own tp!!
Old 08-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
CHRISTISAM2001
El Grando Branson Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
I buy those big packages of washcloths (sometimes you see them at the WM check-out). I keep a kitchen drawer full of them, and I like to buy white, so I can bleach/disinfect them...they just go in the washer and dryer. We still buy paper towels, but keeping washcloths in the kitchen cuts WAY BACK on the number of paper towels we use.

That said, Christi...how in the world does one "make their own toilet paper"?
Are you sure you want to know? Really? Cause I was sorry I asked after I found out how. Yeah, Dont think I will ever get over it...ever!!
Old 08-15-2008, 01:07 PM   #5
lucyann
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISTISAM2001 View Post
Are you sure you want to know? Really? Cause I was sorry I asked after I found out how. Yeah, Dont think I will ever get over it...ever!!
I don't want to know if it's that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
I also now use microfiber towels and cloths in the kitchen, and they do not sour...and they shine everything up with water, and I use less 409 and windex etc.........

To cover the static cling issue .... I buy dryer sheets, and to protect my dryer I've discovered this product can be cut into halves or quartered....and it works as good as a whole sheet. Thus saving more for my top of the line paper products and detergents.

I have to have this talk to myself about not buying store brands, and alternatives that have coupons etc.........I know what I like and I hate to change.

So I rationalize
Are the microfiber cloths made for the kitchen or are these the ones you see in the automotive dept? DH loves the microfiber cloths for cleaning and polishing his motorcycle. I'd never given it a thought to use them in the kitchen.
Cheesecake, can you smell the soured dishrags? My mom is going on 76 and I swear she must not be able to smell them. Her dishrags reek something awful. Of course, it doesn't help that she's so tight with dishrags they're so thin you can see straight through them. I've bought her fancy new ones and plain $ store ones and I don't believe she uses either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISTISAM2001 View Post
Well, thank goodness I dont have to buy paper towels...my brother works at GP and they get free cases of paper towels every now and then and they always give me a few rolls a month. But I also use dish towels, so I do go easy on my paper towels. I buy Scott tp and you can sign up on their website and can print coupons for $1.00 off packages...Dollar General sells their packages of scott tp cheaper than walmart.

Now, I know a girl who is very frugal and she makes her own tp!!
Lucky you!! We have the GP Dixie Cup plant in Fort Smith and I get paper plates by the case really cheap from a friend.
I don't care for Scott TP. Isn't it amazing how choosy we are about TP? At least I am.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
ggh
Super User

Charmin TP snob here - I figure, since I don't buy papertowels, I can buy the TP I want.

Instead of paper towels, we used dish towels, or rags, I have a bag of rags that the family knows is to throw away after one last use - so they can use those to soak up the oil spill...

My MIL use to make Christmas baskets for us, and everyone thought I was crazy when I'd comment about getting my year supply of papertowels, (one roll) in the basket - it's just not something my kids ever got use to having around, so we don't miss them. Most of the rest of the family uses several rolls a week.

We don't do paper plates, plastic cups or paper napkins either - I did buy a box of good plastic forks a few years ago, for dh to use with his lunch - so I didn't loose my good flatware.... he brings them home and washes them, so the box may last a lifetime.

Last edited by ggh; 08-15-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
E's mom
Super Ultra Member

We are a Charmin family also. My husband likes the Charmin basic but I like the one in the blue package.

Closed Thread