1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Missouri Other

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 06:40 AM   #1
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Jim Bakker leaving Branson?

Going to a Theme Park in Blue Eye, MO?

http://springfield.news-leader.com/n...en-290545.html

A Christian Residential Community...Why does this sound familar?
Old 01-28-2005, 07:11 AM   #2
bgroman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suselit

It's down Hwy. 86 a 8-10 miles or so (forget exactly how many) past the entrance to Big Cedar. On the left just before 86 meets Hwy 13. So he wouldn't have to abandon Branson.

basil
Old 01-28-2005, 01:32 PM   #3
SilverMallard
Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgroman
It's down Hwy. 86 a 8-10 miles or so (forget exactly how many) past the entrance to Big Cedar. On the left just before 86 meets Hwy 13. So he wouldn't have to abandon Branson.

basil
Darnit!
Old 01-28-2005, 04:46 PM   #4
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgroman

basil
Well, that certainly relieves my mind.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:52 PM   #5
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Christian Retirement, Residential Community....Well..I do not know what to say...except, maybe old habits die hard?

This could be like swearing and using the Lord's name in vain.........
Old 02-02-2005, 03:58 PM   #6
branson nut

Cool Jim Bakker

hmmmm.... sounds like it is in the location of the old "Camelot" theme park that opened and closed there in like '92 or '93. I believe that the Camelot park was only open a couple of months (can't imagine who actually thought the Ozarks would be a wise choice for Camelot!) I visited the park on opening weekend with my grandparents, we'd been given complimentary passes at the Branson mall. It wouldn't be exaggerating to say that it took us longer to drive down there than it did to get our fill of Camelot! :-)

I drive that stretch of road quite a bit these days and always slow down and look over at the "ruins" of the ill-fated park. I'm happy to know that something is going to be done with the property, although I am SHOCKED to learn that Jim Bakker is getting back into the "Christian" time-share thing! After all, his "Heritage USA" theme park/time share is what sent him to the big house!

I hope the fate of his new venture will be better than that of Camelot and Heritage USA!

Last edited by branson nut; 02-02-2005 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:25 PM   #7
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

here's the latest info:

Condos cater to Christians

Jim Bakker will be among development's residents.

Kathryn Buckstaff
News-Leader

Blue Eye Compared with similar attractions aimed at the Christian market, Branson developer Jerry Crawford said Morningside has an ace in the hole.

Crawford's trump card for the new planned development is Jim Bakker, whom Crawford brought to Branson four years ago and supported as he regained a position in TV evangelism.

"He's the anchor tenant," Crawford said.

The first phase of the 560-acre development to open in January features 115 whole-ownership condominiums, a three-story domed atrium with projections of moving clouds and a studio for "The New Jim Bakker Show."

City officials in Blue Eye, which has a population of 130, are so excited by the prospect of new residents and tourists that they voted last year to annex the project planned for 1,700 homes.

"I think it'll be an asset to the community," said Donna Lawhon, who owns the Dairy Land diner. "I think it will increase people's property values."

Bakker predicts Morningside will become a destination.

"When we first came here, a lot of people came here for Branson and then found us, but now we have a lot of people coming just to see our show," Bakker said.

Blue Eye Mayor Jerry Kerns said as Morningside develops, residents could vote to impose the town's first sales tax. "We would love to have our own law enforcement," Kerns said.

Kerns said he expects no negative effects from the development and that Crawford has proven to be a "straight-shooter. Everything he said he'd do, he's doing."

Morningside condos will range from $79,900 to $185,000. They also plan a fitness center, pool and tennis courts as well as RV campsites, hiking trails and a 50-foot waterfall at the entrance.

There won't be a litmus test for buyers, but the development will attract like-minded buyers, Crawford predicted.

Christian competition

It was nearly 20 years ago when Bakker was ousted by the board of the ministry he founded in 1978. PTL later entered bankruptcy, and other ministry officials were subsequently convicted of mail fraud related to vacation time-shares. Bakker served five years in prison.

The Heritage resort has recently been restored, Bakker said.

"It's just wonderful to see it being restored," Bakker said, "but Morningside the thing that's unique is the Crawfords are building it, so I haven't had to raise the money."

But Morningside will be competing with the South Carolina attraction that also has a themed Main Street with shops and meeting space. Also, the Rev. Jerry Falwell is planning a resort with time-shares, skiing and golf near the campus of his Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va.

Crawford's dream

Crawford said he's wanted to build Morningside for 21 years since he and his wife, Dee, first visited Bakker's Heritage USA. The couple was on the brink of divorce, but the marriage workshop they attended and their encounter with Bakker turned their lives around in every way, the Crawfords say.

"We want to offer people the same opportunities we had," Crawford said. "When I came to Branson, I was going to do that, but the 12.5 acres I had on (Shepherd of the Hills Expressway) wasn't enough, so I just dropped the idea. Then I met Brother Bakker a few years ago, so that's how it all started again."

Bakker's dream

Bakker dreamed of finding a place he could again teach the gospel, he said. Crawford called in 2002 and offered the Bakkers who were then doing charity work in Florida a rent-free restaurant remodeled into a studio. The Bakkers arrived in Branson in three weeks. The Crawfords even provided the Bakkers and their five adopted children a home until they got on their feet.

Bakker's TV ministry is now on networks in more than 40 cities, broadcast around the world on the Total Christian Television network and recently began showing on DirectTV. Donations received by Bakker's ministry go to purchase air time, Bakker said. He's not getting rich, he said.

"We'll have Bible study every day, and we have other teachers lined up to come, and we'll have camp-meetings at night where there will be speakers and music," Bakker said.

He, like the Crawfords, plans to live in Morningside.

"This is my last move, as far as I'm concerned," Bakker said.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:28 PM   #8
Branson Bluesman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellie
I have always wondered what all of those old castles were.

Yep...it's the former "Camelot" which was a huge failure, and open for less than a month back in the mid 80's, I think. The whole renaissance thing really wasn't all that popular in the Ozarks.
http://www.undergroundozarks.com/camelot.html
Old 09-14-2006, 07:39 PM   #9
Branson Bluesman
Banned

Quote:
OMG, I love that website...thanks for posting it!
I know...I spent hours digging thru that website when I first found it.
There's some interesting stuff on there. Be sure to check out the old Dogpatch stuff...
Old 09-14-2006, 07:49 PM   #10
Blaze2
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branson Bluesman
I know...I spent hours digging thru that website when I first found it.
There's some interesting stuff on there. Be sure to check out the old Dogpatch stuff...
Yes, I also enjoyed looking at the website!
For once I'm going to be PC & refrain from any other comment or comments!
Old 09-14-2006, 08:08 PM   #11
Branson Bluesman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze2
For once I'm going to be PC & refrain from any other comment or comments!
I dunno...I'll leave the judging to someone else...

Old 09-14-2006, 08:30 PM   #12
Blaze2
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branson Bluesman
I dunno...I'll leave the judging to someone else...

So will I, but I do not care for his type of preaching or teaching, period!
.....or any preacher remotely like he is....................
Old 09-15-2006, 01:08 AM   #13
lostarm
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suselit

thanks for info
Old 09-15-2006, 08:43 AM   #14
Southern_Belle

Quote:
Well, I just spent an hour looking at the Dogpatch pictures and then went to Wikipedia because some of the picture comments talked about their article. That is probably the saddest thing I have ever seen...they just up and walked-away and left everything exactly as it was. They've started cleaning it up, nobody will tell why...maybe they're going to do something with it. There are just way too many historical cabins and buildings to let it rot.

WARNING! Anyone looking at these pictures, don't read the comments or be prepared for some pretty offensive language.

They're are actually several rumors flying around down here. We've heard trout resort in the past, but now it's looking like they're gonna try to do a resort for motorcycle enthusiasts. They already have some other stuff related to it open up the road. But, for the life of me, I can't remember the name right now.

Anywho... It's coming together... SLOWLY but surely. They've redone a few of the old cabins and are clearing out some that can't be saved.

--Tabatha
Old 09-16-2006, 10:21 AM   #15
MrCrow

forgiving folks

wow...I guess you folks are TRULEY Christians.To welcome this man back in your arms is quite a feat .I too am part of the Lord(not exactly the poster boy for Christianity though) primarily because of the well documented Resurrection.I think I am on the same page as you guys.I am just finding it diffucult to wrap my heart around this one.God bless us all.

Closed Thread