1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Outdoor Activities

Old 08-08-2018, 10:30 PM   #1
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

"Otter" watch where you keep your catch!

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Otte...490391731.html
Old 08-09-2018, 12:48 PM   #2
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

Kinda figured you'd be saying something when I was watching it on the news.

There otter be a way you could prevent that.

Oh yeah, don't put a stringer of fish in the water.

Oh yeah, put them in a basket.

PS: I've watched a cottonmouth do the same thing on Table Rock, but, officially, there are no cottonmouths on Table Rock.

Last edited by NotJLB; 08-09-2018 at 05:14 PM.
NotJLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
sanddunerider
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJLB View Post

PS: I've watch a cottonmouth do the same thing on Table Rock, but, officially, there are no cottonmouths on Table Rock.
Yeah, We dont have them in Kansas either
Old 08-10-2018, 04:09 PM   #4
billj598

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJLB View Post
Kinda figured you'd be saying something when I was watching it on the news.

There otter be a way you could prevent that.

Oh yeah, don't put a stringer of fish in the water.

Oh yeah, put them in a basket.

PS: I've watched a cottonmouth do the same thing on Table Rock, but, officially, there are no cottonmouths on Table Rock.
I saw Phil's post over on the OA site and have trouble believing he doesn't have "fish baskets" available to his guests over at his very nice Resort. Guys at our Marina who keep fish have used those at their slips for decades to not only keep the fish alive in deeper, cooler water but to avoid the numerous turtles.

Yeah, no Cottonmouths around here. No Sireeā€¦.just tell that to the guy who died a couple of years ago from getting bitten, while the Cottonmouth was underwater and he was wading in the James River between Table Rock and Springfield. He didn't think it necessary to go to the Hospital and his girlfriend woke up the next morning to find him dead and gone.

Otters ? Cute little devils in wildlife documentaries but the all-time worst varmint/pest the foolhardy MDC ever released with little or no aforethought and study as to their unchecked impact. Commercial bait farmers were wiped out by them, Smallmouth populations along Ozark streams were decimated in the cold-water Winter months by them and it quickly got bad enough that they had to authorize a trapping season for them which has accomplished little. And now we have Elk that may or may not spread throughout the State....just wait until you "tag" one of those babies in your car...deer are bad enough !
billj598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:12 PM   #5
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

I don't think the otters have been a big problem at the resort for a long time. Can't say that in my nearly 30 years going there I have even seen one. Muskrats, and an occasional beaver. I have done a fair bit of fishing off the dock but haven't been robbed of my fish.
I do know there are some monster trout living under that fish cleaning house though.
As for stocking otters, and elk for that matter, do you mean the same people that allowed the high fence pay for your trophy ranches in Northern Missouri to bring in CWD infected deer. Then didn't require them to keep them quarantined away from the property fence where they could interact, and infect wild deer?
Yeah, those geniuses!
Old 08-11-2018, 06:38 AM   #6
billj598

Have no idea who or what agency regulates those "pay to kill" captive shooting galleries but I think the only way Deer are diagnosed with CWD is in a post-mortem forensic brain testing ? Isn't that why MDC cuts the heads off of hunter's checked-in deer to test them ?

No, the Otters and Elk were not brought in by those fenced-in shooting gallery owners but directly, especially the much-despised Otter re-introduction, by poorly researched MDC programs.

You might or might not know some guys from up your way who are dedicated Smallmouth stream and river anglers, one of them resides in Kirkwood who is active on OA and is a good friend of mine. He told me about how when the introduced Otters hit the Meramec Trophy Smallmouth area they found little piles of fish bones ( where Otters had dined ) all along the river banks from where the Otters cleaned out all the good Smallmouth pools in the cold Winter when the cold-blooded fish cannot escape the warm-blooded Otters. Elk collisions aren't much of a problem for motorists...yet..... due to the remote location of Peck Ranch ! Our MDC is just like any other Government Agency and has to be overseen carefully.

Maybe Phil will acquire some fish-boxes to keep the Otters out and they will eventually depart from their source of the current "easy-pickins". Great idea, by the way, to get some underwater videos of them in action. At least the caught Trout are being taken off of dangling stringers at dock-side and not like with the salt water Anglers where old Mr. Shark or Mr. Cuda takes them

Last edited by billj598; 08-11-2018 at 07:08 AM.
billj598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:09 AM   #7
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

No, the otters were not brought in by the high fence trophy ranches. They were brought in by MDC. The people who I was referring to. The once greatest Conservation Department in the country. No longer run by conservation minded outdoorsmen, but now run by college grads guided by politicians. The high fence trophy ranches are under the MDC. A ballot a few years ago that would have put their control under the Dept. of Agriculture was voted down. Not sure which one would be best. But the MDC blew it by not requiring the animals brought in from states known to have a big CWD problem to quarantine the animals far enough away from the property fences that the disease could not be transmitted. Or to have a secondary interior fence keeping their pay for trophy deer away from the property line. But that would have cost the high dollar, high fence buy your trophy place a lot of money. Might have had to charge those "hunters" a couple extra thousand dollars to claim they actually "hunted" a deer that the company feeds, and the "guides" know exactly where they are.
BTW yes, the CWD samples are taken from dead animals. But not the entire head. Just a small piece cut from the back of the neck. If you are having the head mounted you fill out a card, and the taxidermist sends the sample in so the mount isn't damaged.