1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Just for Chit Chat

Old 05-29-2019, 09:29 PM   #1
lucyann
Super Ultra Member

Arrow Drove my Chevy to the levee...

Right now doing so would result in being told to leave or if you persist in staying a citation. The AR River at Fort Smith AR crested this morning at 20 ft above flood stage. The devastation of the homes and businesses close to the river is heartbreaking. It was reported this afternoon that the levee at the end of the Van Buren levee system is leaking and in danger of a breach.
Provided the river doesn't rise from all the storms upstream today, the water should start to recede Saturday taking at least 2 weeks to do so.
Please remember this area along with all the other towns downstream that are now seeing what we've had since Friday.
lucyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:33 PM   #2
lucyann
Super Ultra Member

In your spare time here are some great quality pictures taken by a local photographer:

https://www.facebook.com/freelancebyac/
Old 05-30-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
leftsaidted
Ultra Member

None of us are perfect...but...if you do certain things...you increase the odds of: build a home in low lying areas near a s
Large river...you WILL be flooded...live in a mobile home in the heart of "tornado alley"...you WILL be injured, killed, and lose your home and posessions... live in a beachfront home in a geographical area that hurricanes frequent...you will be devastated eventually....live in a home smack dab on top if known, large fault lines, you will be hit by an earthquake and lose all....you know?? There is enough recent history concerning weather, enough scientific research and knowledge easily available...for anyone to spend a few hours reading...then taking responsibility and avoiding doing what the other lemmings do....just use good old common sense combined with proven science...it will drastically increase YOUR odds of surviving these "catrastrophies" that we see so many people caught up in, year after year. We cannot negate every bad thing, but we can sure cut down the odds of it happening...

Last edited by leftsaidted; 05-30-2019 at 03:46 PM.
leftsaidted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:54 PM   #4
perky4branson

Amen!!
perky4branson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:57 PM   #5
lucyann
Super Ultra Member

Excuse me?? I thought there were some people here with compassion, however, obviously there's at least two without that trait.
This is the worst flood ever recorded in this area and beat out the 1943 and 1945 floods!! This flood is called a 500 year flood, meaning there's a 0.2% chance of one occurring every year. I'm giving the benefit of doubt and guessing some also missed the part about 20 (twenty) feet above flood stage.
There's also lots of homes and business that live within a stones throw to the river that have not been affected because of the levee system and flood walls. On the other hand, there's homes and businesses that aren't as close to the river that are flooded because of the natural flow of the flood waters.

Last edited by lucyann; 05-30-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:03 AM   #6
OkieAnon

yea it really is horrible what is going on, the records being set in Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas for rainfall in the month of May are hard to believe, plus April wasn't exactly dry either. Entire towns flooded, Webers Falls is the one we see on tv a lot and it's not far from Ft Smith. Heard on the news this morning the levee's were failing in the Ft Smith area.

something else that is sad is the farm land and livestock being lost. I saw a news story of cowboys roping cattle from boats the other day, the wheat is ripening and ready to be cut and fields are under water.

and if you look at the NOAA 7 day precipitation forecast there's a big chunk of NE Oklahoma in the Tulsa area that feeds the Arkansas river that is forecast to get around 5 inches of rain over the next 7 days.
OkieAnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:44 AM   #7
lucyann
Super Ultra Member

I haven't heard any news of levees failing in Van Buren or Fort Smith. However, a levee at Holla Bend in Dardanelle did fail at 12:45 this morning.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:12 PM   #8
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyann View Post
I haven't heard any news of levees failing in Van Buren or Fort Smith. However, a levee at Holla Bend in Dardanelle did fail at 12:45 this morning.
I did hear earlier today that there are concerns about other levees failing at some point.
bransoncutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 02:13 PM   #9
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyann View Post
Excuse me?? I thought there were some people here with compassion, however, obviously there's at least two without that trait.
This is the worst flood ever recorded in this area and beat out the 1943 and 1945 floods!! This flood is called a 500 year flood, meaning there's a 0.2% chance of one occurring every year. I'm giving the benefit of doubt and guessing some also missed the part about 20 (twenty) feet above flood stage.
There's also lots of homes and business that live within a stones throw to the river that have not been affected because of the levee system and flood walls. On the other hand, there's homes and businesses that aren't as close to the river that are flooded because of the natural flow of the flood waters.
Oh lucyann, there ARE some people where with compassion. Just always have a couple -- honestly, a few more than that -- who seem to have missed that gene...
bransoncutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:07 PM   #10
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member

I live on a mountain on a small creek that usually has just enough water to barely cool off the bottoms of my feet. However, since the creek is tributary of the White River and is also a spring fed creek, it has flooded at times up to several feet -- never enough to get into our house but the water has come up to our deck (which I can walk underneath) and it has wiped out a storage shed before.

Many of the people who are flooded right now did not intentionally build or buy a house in a area that they thought would ever be flooded by the Arkansas River or the Black River or the Missouri River or the Mississippi River.

I don't think there is anywhere you can live in the United States in which there are no threats -- tornadoes, straight line winds, flooding, hurricanes, earthquakes, wildfires, etc.
biscuitcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:35 AM   #11
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bransoncutie View Post
Oh lucyann, there ARE some people where with compassion. Just always have a couple -- honestly, a few more than that -- who seem to have missed that gene...
I totally agree.
While it must be lovely to have all the answers to every situation, wise people keep an open mind, just in case there is a small chance there might be one thing they could learn.

Plus, some folks may have already lost an audience willing to hear more of their “wisdom” so they are reduced to trolling their posts here???
Suselit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:28 AM   #12
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member

Just to show you how fast things can change...

When I drove across the creek yesterday morning to go to work, it was barely running across the driveway. Was a little deeper when I got home at 8:30 last night.

Yesterday we had 1.5 inches of rain. Between midnight and 7 am today, we had 3.68 inches of rain. Other nearby areas had more rain than that. Our creek is raging now. Would qualify for class 2 - 3 whitewater rapids.

Campers on gravel bars on the Buffalo River near Marshall had to be rescued.

And other people who were already flooded in AR got more rain too.
biscuitcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:33 PM   #13
lucyann
Super Ultra Member

Wednesday we had 2.5 inches of rain, 2 inches of that in one hour with serious flash flooding. On Thursday another hard rain although I never heard how much and the same today. The last three days has had lots of rain after 2. The forecast looks to be a good one with no massive amounts of rain.