1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Attractions

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 08:10 AM   #1
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Last Season for 'Cajun Connection' at SDC?

"IMPORTANT MESSAGE:
After a week or so of soul searching and digesting and processing information, a company decision was made about 2 weeks ago where in a meeting we were informed this year would be our last season at Silver Dollar City.

With that said it's been an amazing ride for 32 years and we are so grateful for those of you who thought enough of us to stop in and be part of our amazing journey. What an honor it has been to be part of your world !

If we've managed to touch a few hearts and create some some smiles then I'm inclined to think, Mission Accomplished ! Change is never easy but I wanted you all to know. You deserve to know.

Please feel free to express your opinions via a facebook message, a phone call, a letter or any other media driven avenue. Silver Dollar City is a customer friendly company and appreciates all input. All I ask is please keep your opinions, comments and replies very respectful.

Keep the faith and be on the lookout for next year because I plan on working hard to land a spot somewhere on the strip in Branson. Lot's of music left to come !!! Share this message with your family and friends.

Once again I can't emphasize this enough, please be respectful with your responses as per my wishes.
Peace to all ... Cedric Benoit."
Old 06-09-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Some of my fondest memories of SDC are from the very first years we visited. The Cajun Connection was in the Playhouse. With a larger stage, and more people. Uncle Freddy greeted people as they entered, and were seated. Terrell Eabar (might not have the spelling right) did some great Cajun comedy. Terrell and Kelly danced, and performed a beautiful Cajun Waltz. Louis Darby was the fiddle player, and was awesome. Other than when the Haygoods moved inside at SDC, the Cajun Connection from that era remains the best show the park ever had. Moving them to a small, outside stage was a big mistake. Losing them is an even bigger one.
Best wishes to Cedric, and I hope he finds a home on the strip where he can recreate the amazing shows of SDC from long ago.
As an aside, even if Cedric could get Louis from the Sons of Britches for a Cajun Connection show I don't think he will be running across the stage, and spinning in his back while playing Orange Blossom Special like he used to. LOL.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:02 PM   #3
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

A month ago my 5 year old Grandson made himself a musical instrument, he tied a bamboo placemat in front of his chest with a shoe string and ran a stick up and down it. He was quite pleased and we were baffled until he told us... "Washboard Leo!"
He hadn't see that show since Christmas.
The kids love Cajun Connection!
Old 06-09-2018, 04:59 PM   #4
sanddunerider
Super Ultra Member

Thats too bad,, My only complaint about their show in recent years was the music seemed to be very loud.. but I could hear them fine from the rib house..

Move to the strip?

Maybe there is room at the Americana... LOL.

Good luck to you Cedric...
Old 06-10-2018, 09:58 AM   #5
WireRoad

Huge mistake getting rid of The Cajun Connection. The overall theme of SDC seems to be slowly changing and not for the better. It's all about action packed, faster, more exciting, etc. I'd love to see Cedric find another spot in Branson as I love what he does, but I just don't see the commercial appeal for Cajun & Zydeco here anymore.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:11 PM   #6
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
The overall theme of SDC seems to be slowly changing and not for the better.
Ever since there hasn't been anybody by the name of Herschend running, or even in operations of Herschend Family Entertainment.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:29 AM   #7
kstater1997
Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 View Post
Ever since there hasn't been anybody by the name of Herschend running, or even in operations of Herschend Family Entertainment.
Actually there are 2 Herschends on the Board of Directors.

https://www.bloomberg.com/research/s...vcapId=1022128
Old 06-11-2018, 06:24 AM   #8
sanddunerider
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstater1997 View Post
Actually there are 2 Herschends on the Board of Directors.

https://www.bloomberg.com/research/s...vcapId=1022128
Thanks Kstater, I thought that was still true, but didnt know how to find the info.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:47 AM   #9
VBeason
Super Ultra Member

So sad. They were great and I've got a few of their CD's. Hopefully they will land somewhere else in Branson.

Vickie
Old 06-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #10
leftsaidted
Ultra Member

This is interesting, as I have been a regular attendee at SDC for many, many years...and I have NEVER seen, or heard of, this band! But then again, I have never gone there soley to listen to music, save for one time to watch the Quebe Sisters...now that was both ear AND eye candy, imo!!

So...hmm, I guess I did not even realize there was anyone still playing "Cajun/Zydeco" music any more, outside of Louisiana locals outback in the swamps, and certainly not commercially, since the mid 1980's, after the huge hit "Toot Toot" by good ole Rockin Sidney tore up the charts, about the same time that Justin Wilson went off the air!

Music, as in many forms of art, is in the eyes and ears of the beholder...as for me, the so called "Cajun" music is similar to "Bluegrass"...it sounds good and is fun for, what, maybe 2 or 3 songs?...then every song sounds the same! So I listen to a couple tunes, then walk on...

But since they were at SDC for more than 3 decades, I guess SOMEONE must have liked it more than I would have...so maybe they can work themselves into an existing show on the strip...as there is no way that i can see that a "stand-alone" show could be made of Cajun music, and be as successful as it needs to be to pay the bills to support a theatre....unless...unless...

hmmm...maybe they could make it a DINNER show by adding some live alligator wrestling to the show...and after watching professional wrestlers and some big 'gators go at it a few times, maybe invite an audience member to partake...all the while serving authentic Cajun food such as Gumbo, Etouffee, Jambalaya, and Boudin Balls with some Creole Mustard dipping sauce during the entire presentation...now THAT just might work!! Maybe put in a very large aquarium type stucture, with alligators swimming around, laying on the rocks under uv heat lamps, etc...make it look like an authentic Louisiana/Texas/Florida swamp!

But good luck to them in finding SOME place to land....

Last edited by leftsaidted; 06-11-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:03 PM   #11
OKCtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Good grief! If you’ve been to SDC many times and never even noticed the Cajun Connection, you must be blind and deaf! It’s been in the same place for a long time. And, what do you have against Bluegrass? A whole festival is dedicated to Bluegrass and BarBQ!

Last edited by OKCtraveler; 06-11-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:41 PM   #12
leftsaidted
Ultra Member

As stated, I have nothing against Bluegrass, or "Cajun" music...it's just after 2 or 3 songs, it all sounds the same to me, so I move on! Yep, love the Bluegrass and BBQ festival...but, have never gone there to actually sit and listen to an entire set of Bluegrass being played...and as for the BBQ...I love the smell of it throughout the park...but, I prefer to eat my BBQ at a couple places outside of SDC, and in Branson "proper"....although I will (after eating fresh hot cinnamon bread) grab a couple burgers throughout the day from either Wagon Works Grill (preferred) or the Lumbercamp, and pour SDC branded BBQ sauce all over them! So I go from coaster to coaster, steam train to flooded mine, knife-shop to leather-shop, hearing the music in the background, smelling the good smell of BBQ being cooked...and enjoy myself!

Closed Thread