1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > 1Branson.com Welcome & Board How-to's

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 10:50 AM   #1
iowajunker

Retirement in Branson

We have been wanting to retire in Branson for 25 years now that the time has come I would like to know what do retirees do in the winter or do they leave the area for the winter???? We have tried the Texas thing and its just not us...any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 09-01-2018, 12:08 PM   #2
NotJLB
Retired Seasonal Worker

Iowa guy here.

Here is our progression:

Kansas City
Eleven Point River, Myrtle, MO
Branson/Table Rock Lake
SW Florida

We have a lot of Branson area acquaintances that also have a place in SW Florida, more so than other Gulf areas, or South Texas, or Arizona, or Southern Callifornia.

We have found that Branson and Table Rock Lake come with a learning curve, and over the last 20 years we have changed things here, still are, and have plans for more changes.

The first step is for you to decide what you think you want, and go from there. Like I said, that's likely to change, but you gotta start somewhere.

Living in a vacation area is different than visiting a vacation area, but we picked vacation areas for the variety they offer.

Oh yeah, Winter. Some leave, some stay.

"The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is."
Winston Churchill

Last edited by NotJLB; 09-01-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:54 PM   #3
iowajunker

Thanks for the information, funny how we thought we had our future planned and now that it is upon us we feel more lost than ever!
Old 09-01-2018, 03:21 PM   #4
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowajunker View Post
I would like to know what do retirees do in the winter or do they leave the area for the winter???
It comes down to different strokes for different folks. The people we know usually travel/cruise a bit in the winter, but not a 5 month migration. Those that do shutter their doors consider Branson their summer home and elsewhere their permanent home. It must not be about climate as all go to colder locales.
Branson has become a much more active place over the past few years. Not the ghost town it once was. One such activity is the Neighbors and friends organization. The link below explains the various activities available and the mission of the group. The bulk of the activities are in the fall though spring. My DW loves it. At times I think she is fulltime.
http://nftrl.org/

A sign on the lawn at a drug rehab center said:
'Keep off the Grass.'

Last edited by DalmatianDad; 09-01-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:39 PM   #5
iowajunker

Maybe we should winter in Branson and go back to Iowa in the summer!!

We have thought about renting a condo for a couple months and try it out this winter, I think my big hang up is I still have little grandchildren and feel if I only go to Branson i can still be able visit them in 6 hours instead of 21 hours!

Thank you for the link!
Old 09-13-2018, 06:19 PM   #6
Crazy4Branson
Super Ultra Member

In Dec 2011, I moved from Southeast Iowa to Branson, planning to buy a home/condo there, while renting in the mean time.

The more I searched in Branson, the more I "knew" I did not want to buy there, so I ended up in a little "boom-town" near Springfield. Housing prices, utilities, & property taxes are a bargain in this corner of MO, compared to IA.

Great place for retirement.
I stay year-round, as the winters here are v-e-r-y mild compared to Iowa!
Summer humidity here is usually low compared to IA, also, esp. if you get up onto The Plateau, west of Springfield.....

The only time I need a heavy coat is when I go back to Iowa
in the winter..

Last edited by Crazy4Branson; 09-13-2018 at 06:22 PM.

Closed Thread