1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Other Destinations

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #16
82corvette
Ultra Member

I'm afraid Austin is going to the dogs. Jessie James just opened a hot rod shop there.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #17
pamlet
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleDad View Post
I know I'm getting old when I don't have a clue what 'Zydeco' music is, but I am still 100% sure I wouldn't like it!!
I actually like Zydeco .. and I'm kinda considered conservative in my tastes.. laugh... It's really FUN music .. though I will admit to only enjoying it for a while .. after too much I get a headache..
Old 05-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #18
TJefferson
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleDad View Post
I know I'm getting old when I don't have a clue what 'Zydeco' music is, but I am still 100% sure I wouldn't like it!!
Just imagine that nice old smiling accordion player man on Lawrence Welk all tweeked up on crack.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #19
Branson Bluesman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Austin gave us Stevie Ray Vaughan, and it just doesn't get any better than that! The guy is AWESOME!
Also in Austin...SRV's brother Jimmie Vaughan...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYQcwGgeYOs
Old 05-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #20
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branson Bluesman View Post
Also in Austin...SRV's brother Jimmie Vaughan...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYQcwGgeYOs
Thanks for the link Bluesman... I'd never heard him. Obviously not at the same level as Stevie Ray, but not bad at all! THAT is the kind of music that could get me really excited about going to Branson!

Good Times in Branson
Old 05-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #21
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

A great Stevie Ray link... it's hard to believe he's been gone for 21 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWLw7nozO_U

Good Times in Branson
Old 05-07-2011, 07:27 AM   #22
bransonframer
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link Bluesman... I'd never heard him. Obviously not at the same level as Stevie Ray, but not bad at all! THAT is the kind of music that could get me really excited about going to Branson!

Jimmie was the guitarist for "The Fabulous Thunderbirds" for years. Perhaps you've heard of them? And yeah, I'd pay to see him play Branson.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #23
Branson Bluesman
Banned

Quote:
Jimmie has a totally different playing style than SRV had. And yes, these are the type of acts and genre of music that every promoter is afraid to bring to Branson. Let us remember that BB King sold out both times he played at Welk's. That SRV clip was from "Live at El Mocambo" - a great SRV dvd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bransonframer View Post
Jimmie was the guitarist for "The Fabulous Thunderbirds" for years. Perhaps you've heard of them? And yeah, I'd pay to see him play Branson.
Yep, Jimmie was one of the original members of The Thunderbirds, along with Kim Wilson on harp.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #24
bransonframer
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
And yes, these are the type of acts and genre of music that every promoter is afraid to bring to Branson.
Do you really think they are afraid? Or are they just too zoned into a mindset of what Branson is 'supposed' to be? If it is that they are afraid... is it that they are afraid of the genre? Or more afraid of the lack of name recognition of the acts? People know B.B. King, but they don't know Jimmie Vaughn. Either way, I'm with you. I'd love to see a promoter think outside the box and bring different acts to town.

Monte Montgomery is another one I'd pay to see.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #25
Branson Bluesman
Banned

Quote:
Do you really think they are afraid? Or are they just too zoned into a mindset of what Branson is 'supposed' to be? If it is that they are afraid... is it that they are afraid of the genre? Or more afraid of the lack of name recognition of the acts? People know B.B. King, but they don't know Jimmie Vaughn. Either way, I'm with you. I'd love to see a promoter think outside the box and bring different acts to town.

Monte Montgomery is another one I'd pay to see.
They probably are too zoned into a mindset of what Branson is 'supposed' to be...but things have changed...and the people who book acts don't seem to "get" that. Why couldn't acts like Jimmie Vaughan, Buddy Guy, Greg Allman, George Thorogood, Fabulous Thunderbirds, pack a theater in Branson?
Old 05-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #26
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Do you really think they are afraid? Or are they just too zoned into a mindset of what Branson is 'supposed' to be? If it is that they are afraid... is it that they are afraid of the genre? Or more afraid of the lack of name recognition of the acts?
They are zoned into a mindset. Very few acts in Branson today have any name recognition outside of Branson. There are 89 acts listed in the shows section of this site. Of those 89, I counted TEN that had any type of national name recognition:

Barbara Fairchild
Buck Trent
The Comets
Doug Gabriel
Jim Owen
Jim Stafford
Mickey Gilley
Osmonds
World Famous Platters
Yakov Smirnoff

And the majority of those would be little known by anyone under the age of 50.

Most of the top shows in Branson… SIX, Clay Cooper, The Presleys, Haygoods, etc are virtually unknown outside of this area.

Good Times in Branson
Old 05-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #27
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
They probably are too zoned into a mindset of what Branson is 'supposed' to be...but things have changed...and the people who book acts don't seem to "get" that. Why couldn't acts like Jimmie Vaughan, Buddy Guy, Greg Allman, George Thorogood, Fabulous Thunderbirds, pack a theater in Branson?
My personal opinion is that those acts would do VERY well.

Good Times in Branson
Old 05-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #28
Branson Bluesman
Banned

Quote:
I'd say it's more like 60-65.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #29
OkieAnon

Quote:
They are zoned into a mindset. Very few acts in Branson today have any name recognition outside of Branson. There are 89 acts listed in the shows section of this site. Of those 89, I counted TEN that had any type of national name recognition:

Barbara Fairchild
Buck Trent
The Comets
Doug Gabriel
Jim Owen
Jim Stafford
Mickey Gilley
Osmonds
World Famous Platters
Yakov Smirnoff

Most of the top shows in Branson… SIX, Clay Cooper, The Presleys, Haygoods, etc are virtually unknown outside of this area.
if you're counting part timer's include... Oak Ridge Boy's, Lee Greenwood, Moe Bandy, Gatlin Brothers, Andy Williams .... but I agree, poor selection for the younger and even really the middle age group.

another possiblity, besides the mindset of what it should be, call it the Plantation Restaurant Syndrome. No matter how many bad reviews the place get's the tour busses and 1st timer's keep pulling in.

Why go out and spend the money for the real deal if the customers are willing to keep throwing money at unkown's and tributes artists.

I enjoy Clay Cooper's show, and show's like the Presley's... but we did move our vacation back one week to see Travis Tritt. If we want others we can fill in around this one show, but the others aren't shows you plan a destination and date around.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #30
Branson Bluesman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieAnon View Post
I enjoy Clay Cooper's show, and show's like the Presley's... but we did move our vacation back one week to see Travis Tritt. If we want others we can fill in around this one show, but the others aren't shows you plan a destination and date around.
Yes, but artists like Travis Tritt are the exception and not the rule for Branson. Even he's not at the top anymore, but he's definitely a few notches above the usual Branson shows. But again...not everyone likes Country. You just don't see much other than Country or the occasional artist like the upcoming Village People show (which is basically a novelty/nostalgia act).

Closed Thread