1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Just for Chit Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
Critter
Super Ultra Member

New Road (to me) in Branson

I am not good at telling what the names of roads are, but it is the road leading to the landing if you are coming from Kmart? It is right about the interstate. That one area there. WHY did they design it this way??? You drive on the opposite side of the road!!!! lol David didn't understand why they designed it like this. He thought maybe it was for the on and off ramps. I thought it was just confusing!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

It's called a diverging diamond: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divergi...nd_interchange It's supposed to speed up traffic, but to me it looks like it could be a confusing mess to some.
The first one I was on is in the St. Louis area at Dorset Rd as it passes under I-270. At first it looks like instead of staying on dorset Rd, it is going to take you to Northbound I-270.
I think the college grad engineers that thought up this one found some really good stuff to smoke first!!!
Old 07-06-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member

The Missouri highway department is a big fan of the diverging diamond. There are already 2 or 3 of them in Springfield.

The road is Highway 248.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:35 AM   #4
Ms_Terese
Local Member

It's improved the traffic flow so much, I wouldn't care if I had to drive upside down...
Old 07-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #5
VBeason
Super Ultra Member

I agree Ms. Terese. This has helped the traffic so much through there. Not so much backup. I've driven through the one in Springfield at 13 & I44 and fell in love with it. They are putting a couple more in Kansas City in high traffic places. But it really does help with the traffic flow.

Vickie
Old 07-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #6
lkb5271
Super Ultra Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
I am not good at telling what the names of roads are, but it is the road leading to the landing if you are coming from Kmart? It is right about the interstate. That one area there. WHY did they design it this way??? You drive on the opposite side of the road!!!! lol David didn't understand why they designed it like this. He thought maybe it was for the on and off ramps. I thought it was just confusing!
It about gave me heart failure the first time...it almost looks like your going to get hit head on at one point. Did not like it at all
Old 07-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #7
SHOW GAL
SHOW GAL

As often as we drive back and forth from KC to Branson, I still feel like we are going to have a head-on collision at Hwy 13 and I44. We have yet to ever see a problem there and the stats show them to be very safe but, they sure look scary.

Branson Show Reviews by SHOW GAL

http://BransonShowGal.wordpress.com/
Old 07-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
OkieAnon

what worries me about things like this that I don't see on a daily basis, it's bad enough that i'm confused but I always wonder about the guy coming towards me and how confused is he about it.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
SHOW GAL
SHOW GAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieAnon View Post
what worries me about things like this that I don't see on a daily basis, it's bad enough that i'm confused but I always wonder about the guy coming towards me and how confused is he about it.
I must admit, that thought crosses my mind almost every time I see the headlights of the cars coming straight at me.

Branson Show Reviews by SHOW GAL

http://BransonShowGal.wordpress.com/
Old 07-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
Crazy4Branson
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 View Post
I think the college grad engineers that thought up this one
What makes you think they graduated........??????

Didn't the idea of "diverging diamonds" & "round-a-bouts" come from Europe?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
Critter
Super Ultra Member

Holly's friend is a new driver and she said she was glad she wasn't driving on it.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Branson View Post
What makes you think they graduated........??????

Didn't the idea of "diverging diamonds" & "round-a-bouts" come from Europe?
Yes they did. I LOVE them. Once you have driven them a few times they are simple to navigate. Every one I've ever experienced has made a HUGE improvement in traffic flow. The intersection of National and the James River Freeway in Springfield used to be an absolute nightmare. Now with the diverging diamond I've never experienced a backup there.

P.S. Edited to add: I love the diverging diamonds. The round-a-bout near the Landing sucks!

Good Times in Branson

Last edited by MNtraveler; 07-06-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
MelanieHamilton
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Terese View Post
It's improved the traffic flow so much, I wouldn't care if I had to drive upside down...
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBeason View Post
I agree Ms. Terese.
I agree with the two of them. I was SO not sure about this "Diverging Diamond" concept, at first. But, I cannot believe how well the traffic flows, and there never seems to be any confusion. There's always other traffic for the newbies to follow, through. Once you've driven it... it's a piece of cake. It's ten times better than these "traffic circles/round-abouts". Those things are so confusing for newbies. Every time I go through one of the traffic circles, I feel like I'm playing defense in a football game. I'm watching every single car, and 9 times out of 10, one of them will cut-over in front of me. I just breeze through the diverging diamond... NEVER a problem.

~ Lewis Carroll... "Alice in Wonderland"

Last edited by MelanieHamilton; 07-06-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #14
bransonframer
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieHamilton View Post
I agree with the two of them. I was SO not sure about this "Diverging Diamond" concept, at first. But, I cannot believe how well the traffic flows, and there never seems to be any confusion. There's always other traffic for the newbies to follow, through. Once you've driven it... it's a piece of cake. It's ten times better than these "traffic circles/round-abouts". Those things are so confusing for newbies. Every time I go through one of the traffic circles, I feel like I'm playing defense in a football game. I'm watching every single car, and 9 times out of 10, one of them will cut-over in front of me. I just breeze through the diverging diamond... NEVER a problem.
Most round-abouts are done right. But that one by Skaggs is a nightmare. You actually have to drive it incorrectly at times to avoid being in an accident. The inside lane should NEVER be allowed to exit the round-about by crossing over the outside line.

Perfect example of what I'm talking about. I'm coming from 65 and entering the circle on the North side by Skaggs. I want to take Parnell drive, which is the exit AFTER the new Roark bridge headed to the Landing. I enter the circle and stay in my outside lane with intentions of going straight and then exiting to Parnell drive, but it never fails... the car in the inside line just cuts right across in front of me, either forcing me to T-Bone them, or exiting the circle to avoid them. SOOOOooooo, instead, I enter the circle and move to the INSIDE lane, go all the way around the circle, and then after passing the Branson Landing exit, I move over, and exit the circle to Parnell.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #15
MelanieHamilton
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bransonframer View Post
Most round-abouts are done right. But that one by Skaggs is a nightmare. You actually have to drive it incorrectly at times to avoid being in an accident. The inside lane should NEVER be allowed to exit the round-about by crossing over the outside line.

Perfect example of what I'm talking about. I'm coming from 65 and entering the circle on the North side by Skaggs. I want to take Parnell drive, which is the exit AFTER the new Roark bridge headed to the Landing. I enter the circle and stay in my outside lane with intentions of going straight and then exiting to Parnell drive, but it never fails... the car in the inside line just cuts right across in front of me, either forcing me to T-Bone them, or exiting the circle to avoid them. SOOOOooooo, instead, I enter the circle and move to the INSIDE lane, go all the way around the circle, and then after passing the Branson Landing exit, I move over, and exit the circle to Parnell.
Exactly! I'm sure I falsely accused all traffic circles of being inefficient, when in fact it's only the one by Skaggs. The one in Hollister is actually very efficient. That one by Skaggs, though, is a nightmare! That lane cutoff that you describe, happens to me almost every time I go through it (in that direction). People don't know which way to go, so they just make a split-second decision... and they don't care if someone is already in that lane.

~ Lewis Carroll... "Alice in Wonderland"

Closed Thread