1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Other Destinations

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 08:10 PM   #1
RenaPrincess

Gatlinburg TN

I guess I mean Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. How similar is this place to Branson? Which do you prefer? It would be a lot longer drive for us but we were thinking of some place new and want family friendly that is not disney. Is it worth the drive? Lots of family shows or things you would recommend?

Last edited by RenaPrincess; 09-29-2019 at 08:19 PM. Reason: I really wanted to say Pigeon Forge
Old 09-30-2019, 09:28 AM   #2
k-2
Ultra Member

If I remember correctly, not many shows. Very family friendly and many things to do there. There were the typical go carts and mini golf places, Dollywood, very nice outlet shopping area and great restaurants. Gatlinburg is a fun place to visit. The draw for me is of course The Great Smoky Mountains with hiking, picnic areas and beautiful scenery.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
RenaPrincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-2 View Post
The draw for me is of course The Great Smoky Mountains with hiking, picnic areas and beautiful scenery.
Thank you for your thoughts about this! One thing my husband is not so happy about driving here...the mountains. Branson has hills and last time we got "lost" coming back from Arkansas and hit "mountains." That was a bit nerve wrecking. The only thing I really want to take the kids to is the dinner shows. Kind of bored with Dixie since we have done it so much. We will forever love our Branson tough to outdo.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:09 PM   #4
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member

Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge is very much like Branson but larger and with the adjacent national park which is beautiful. There are several dinner shows in the area but not many musical shows. The main drag through Pigeon Forge is much easier to drive than driving the strip in Branson because it is a multi-lane road.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
k-2
Ultra Member

We rode the trolley from Pigeon Forge to Gatlinburg one time. Walked around the tourist shops and visited the aquarium. Drove back another time to do some other things. You can also ride a trolley to Dollywood. Your kids might enjoy hiking up to The Dome up on the mountain. The roads were good and not to scary to drive on.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:31 AM   #6
craftemp
Ultra Member

I come to Branson once a year (from NJ), because I love it. I also go to Gatlinburg (this year twice, so far). While it is true that there are not as many shows (maybe a dozen or so), there is nothing more beautiful, in my opinion, than the Great Smoky Mountains. For anyone that loves scenery, hiking (not me) and history, The Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Sevierville area cannot be beat.
An added bonus for me is that I can drive and be there within 12 hours (versus a 2 day drive to Branson)
Hope this helps

Just saw your second post about your husband not liking mountain driving. In the Smokies, there are lots of steep hills, winding roads and gravel roads. I personally enjoy this kind of driving. When I go back next April, I plan on driving The Tail of the Dragon... 318 curves within 11 miles!

Last edited by craftemp; 10-02-2019 at 10:34 AM. Reason: add comment about roads
Old 10-12-2019, 09:38 PM   #7
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
In the Smokies, there are lots of steep hills, winding roads and gravel roads. I personally enjoy this kind of driving. When I go back next April, I plan on driving The Tail of the Dragon... 318 curves within 11 miles!
That sounds awesome! Makes me want to visit the area even more now.

Closed Thread