1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Shows

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 06:35 PM   #1
Diane1611
Missing Branson

Talking Dean Z's Rockin' Christmas Show - a review

We saw this show on 11/23, which was Dean's first show of the season because of his and his wife's bout with COVID. We enjoyed this show very much. It was high energy, the band was hot and tight, and Dean has Elvis' moves down to a T. It was not a first half regular music/second half Christmas music like a lot of the Branson shows - the non-Christmas music was interspersed in between the Christmas songs.

Dean has a 4 man brass section, a keyboardist, a guy playing string bass, a guitarist (Dean's brother), a drummer (who turned out to be Matt Gumm) and 3 backup singers called the Deltatones (one of whom was Dean's wife). I really liked how he kept acknowledging the band and asking us to applaud for them. That's a sign of a classy performer. Not only did Dean have Elvis' moves down pat, he also did a great Mick Jagger, lip and all. Dean didn't forget the true meaning of Christmas - he and the Deltatones did a beautiful acapella rendition of "Silent Night."

I now want to see Dean's Elvis show next summer when we return to Branson. I highly recommend this show.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:34 AM   #2
craftemp
Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane1611 View Post
We saw this show on 11/23, which was Dean's first show of the season because of his and his wife's bout with COVID. We enjoyed this show very much. It was high energy, the band was hot and tight, and Dean has Elvis' moves down to a T. It was not a first half regular music/second half Christmas music like a lot of the Branson shows - the non-Christmas music was interspersed in between the Christmas songs.

Dean has a 4 man brass section, a keyboardist, a guy playing string bass, a guitarist (Dean's brother), a drummer (who turned out to be Matt Gumm) and 3 backup singers called the Deltatones (one of whom was Dean's wife). I really liked how he kept acknowledging the band and asking us to applaud for them. That's a sign of a classy performer. Not only did Dean have Elvis' moves down pat, he also did a great Mick Jagger, lip and all. Dean didn't forget the true meaning of Christmas - he and the Deltatones did a beautiful acapella rendition of "Silent Night."

I now want to see Dean's Elvis show next summer when we return to Branson. I highly recommend this show.
I saw Dean's show when I was in October when I was in Branson. I am not an Elvis fan but his show was amazing. He is a true talent.

You mentioned that he kept acknowledging members of the band.
Not only did he do that when I saw the show but there was a young potential Elvis impersonater in the audience. If I remember, he was around 16 years old and was there with his mom. Dean took the time to point him out and asked him to hang around after the show so that they could talk. In my view, that is class!!

Hoping to be back in Branson in May or June. Will definitely see his show again.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:52 PM   #3
Lindsey
Ultra Member

Thumbs up Dean Z!!!!!!

We saw the Dean Z Christmas show last week. OH MY!!! What energy! A First Class production, in my opinion... LOVED the brass section and especially the Jump Jive number with Dean Z's wife and him.

I also saw his regular show several weeks ago. I am sold on Dean Z! What a professional and entertaining show!
Old 12-01-2020, 02:26 PM   #4
leftsaidted
Super Ultra Member

I caught his Christmas show last night. I agree with all that was said above. Absolutely a blast! Yes, his Mick Jaeger tribute was spot on...and hilarious to boot. He did a great tribute to Andy Williams also, really nailed the song. I appreciated 0ol Dean making every song "his own", while still managing to be faithful to the original version, and not shredding it. I think my favorite performance was "Mele Kalikimaka". Dean and the Deltatones performance of it reminded me of Bing Crosby and the Andrew's Sisters version. Superb! With the trio 9f women backup singers on one side of the stage, and the brass quartet on the other, you had the effect of being swept back in time to the big band/swing era...and with Dean center stage, you had an energy level that was through the roof. So enjoyable! Add to the mix Matt Gummi on drums, Danny Z on guitar, and the coolest Cat ever on the upright bass...Well, you just gotta be there to experience it!
Old 12-02-2020, 10:49 AM   #5
sanddunerider
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftsaidted View Post
I caught his Christmas show last night. I agree with all that was said above. Absolutely a blast! Yes, his Mick Jaeger tribute was spot on...and hilarious to boot. He did a great tribute to Andy Williams also, really nailed the song. I appreciated 0ol Dean making every song "his own", while still managing to be faithful to the original version, and not shredding it. I think my favorite performance was "Mele Kalikimaka". Dean and the Deltatones performance of it reminded me of Bing Crosby and the Andrew's Sisters version. Superb! With the trio 9f women backup singers on one side of the stage, and the brass quartet on the other, you had the effect of being swept back in time to the big band/swing era...and with Dean center stage, you had an energy level that was through the roof. So enjoyable! Add to the mix Matt Gummi on drums, Danny Z on guitar, and the coolest Cat ever on the upright bass...Well, you just gotta be there to experience it!
This is good to hear, I called in my reservations for later this month.. look forward to seeing the show. He always does a great job..

Closed Thread