1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Shows

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 12:02 AM   #1
Jerm
Super Ultra Member

My 2005 Christmas Show Reviews :):)

I've seen a number of Christmas shows this season and instead of posting them all separately I thought I would put them all together in one thread under different postings.

Celebrate America (Mansion America Theater) (Christmas Edition)

I saw this show earlier this year and it was so good I decided to return to see it again and this time I would bring a friend along that wanted to see it. I will not go in depth with a review this time around since it was still the same great show that I saw earlier this year and you can find my review on it here and read it for yourself. I did want to say however that the night we went to see it, was the night before Veterans' Day. There were several Veterans' and their families there. This show had really good attendance. It was neat to watch them as the show went along and wonder what was going through their mind as they sat watching it. There was a man sitting in front of me who was a Veteran and I kept watching him to see his reaction. Sometimes I could tell it still bothered him because he would look down. A very powerful evening!

There were two changes that I noticed in the show I would like to tell you about. For those that have not seen it, the show is a broadway style stage show that tells the story of a little girl and her grandfather and how the grandfather explains to the little girl why her daddy has to be away from home fighting in the war. He begins his story with the signing of the Declaration of Independence and ends it in present day. The change in the show that I noticed or at least don't remember from the last time I saw it was how they bring you back to today. On the video screen they show video of the twin towers, President Bush making his speech, Michael Jordan, etc. I thought it was really neat and a great way for the show to come full circle. Also, the grandfather the night I was there was Gene Bicknell who created the show and also owns the theater. I thought that was pretty cool.

Another change I noticed was an added song they did especially for the Christmas season to kind of put a Christmas twist on the show. I won't spoil it for you but when you see it you will see how well it fits into the story. This one song is the only reference to Christmas in the show.

A very good show and my friend loved it so much she wants to bring her sister to see it!

Coming soon right here....Broadway's Spirit of Christmas w/ the Osmonds, Dino's Somewhere in Christmastime, Shoji's The Wonder of Christmas. I also have plans for more before the season ends.

Last edited by Jerm; 11-26-2005 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:14 AM   #2
jrnew
Tyler James is HERE!

Thank you SO much for the review. My parents are going to see the show in two weeks, dad is a Veteran, so it will be interesting to get their take on it!

Thanks again; Jamie
Old 11-21-2005, 09:28 PM   #3
Jerm
Super Ultra Member

Broadway's Spirit of Christmas w/ the Osmonds.

I went to see this show on my own this past Tuesday night. I enjoyed the show very much! The theater was packed with people. Several tour groups were there and a few were from New York, and Penn. I thought that was very interesting! Who says that the word isn't out about Branson?

The show opened with the Osmonds. I was surprised when I saw Merrill there joining his brothers. I don't know if he will be a regular with Jay, and Wayne for the rest of the season or if he was just there that one night. The Osmonds performed all throughout the show singing all different kinds of music. So the answer to the question, "Is this show all Christmas?" is, "No". The brothers performed such things as a love song medley, a brothers medley that included songs by the Gatlins, Mills brothers, Statlers, Jackson 5, etc.(This was my favorite part they did I also had the great fortune of being there when David Osmond was there performing. I remember him from back when he was performing here with the Osmond Second Generation. He sang two solos in the show that would take your breath away. He performed one of my favorites, "Mary Did You Know?", while a video played on the screens showing Mary, and Jesus. Amazing!! He also performed a song that Collin Raye recorded called, "The Gift". It was equally as beautiful One female singer from "The Spirit of Broadway" also sung some great numbers. A couple of them she performed are also some of my all time Christmas favorites, "Santa Baby", and "All I Want For Christmas Is You". The rest of the cast (singers/dancers) did an amazing job with the technically challenging dances. Other standout moments for me in the show included an acapella section where the singers/dancers were dressed in white robes holding candles singing, "What Child Is This?". It was so beautiful! I could feel the hair on the back of my neck bristle. Another standout moment included the singers/dancers all sitting on benches clapping a rhythm with each other that was very creative and well done. It was kind of like "Stomp" This had to have taken quite a lot of practice. Another question people may ask about this show is if children would like it and I would say a great, big "YES!" In addition to Santa, there are other "creatures" that come out on stage including, penguins, mice, etc. I've also read quite a bit of talk about traditional vs. non-traditional Christmas shows especially in the "Christmas Dreams" posts. This show I would say is very traditional. What I mean by that is "Frosty the Snowman", will sound very familiar to you and you can expect a snowman to come out on stage and dance. I happen to be one of those people that like to see things that are a little out of the box. I say that to say I also enjoy non-traditional shows very much as well. I am the type of person that instead of hearing "Frosty" sung the same way over and over again, and a snowman out dancing onstage while the song is sung, would much rather see something a little different. I've seen many Christmas shows this season alone and I must tell you that I've seen some very familiar things done in very different ways. The creativity is what I enjoy most! I have an appreciation for both styles but if you are looking for a traditional Christmas show to go and see this season then this is the one for you.

Last edited by Jerm; 11-21-2005 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:42 AM   #4
kathyc

Broadway's Spirit of Christmas w/ the Osmonds. Great review. We went on last friday night. It was awsome. I really enjoy the Osmonds. I too recommend this as a must see.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:19 AM   #5
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Thanks for your 2005 Christmas Show Reviews, Jerm.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:42 PM   #6
Jerm
Super Ultra Member

LOL! Suselit, since you passed my "test" and was the person who was most observant can you do me a favor and change the main title from 2006 to 2005? You know I was just seeing who was paying attention (yeah right!) Did I mention I am always early for things?

Thank You,
ROFL!
Old 11-27-2005, 12:08 AM   #7
Jerm
Super Ultra Member

Dino's Somewhere in Christmastime

This show is spectacular and is one that is not to be missed. This is one of my very favorite Christmas shows that I've seen this season. This show has both traditional and non-traditional elements which make for a very entertaining evening. The main star of the show, Dino, is best known for his piano playing. He plays in many different styles that you will see for yourself when you see his show. In addition to Dino, Cheryl, his wife, is also in the show. She sings many beautiful songs throughout the production. Rounding out the cast is an amazing cast of singers/dancers.

Dino makes a grand entrance being lowered from the ceiling playing the piano. From this moment you know you are in for something spectacular. Some stand out moments for me in the show included a rather large segment dealing with Christmas around the world. In this segment, Dino and his entire cast takes the audience on a vacation to many different countries around the world including, Ireland, Spain, Austria, etc. While "staying" in these countries you will be entertained with Christmas songs, dances, costumes, etc. from these foreign lands. As a side note, you can really see the talents of the dancers shine in this segment performing all the challenging styles of dance. In Vienna, Austria I particularly enjoyed the "Nutcracker" numbers that were played beautifully by Dino on the piano. Speaking of piano, another standout moment is the piano itself which was previously owned by Liberace. There is also a segment in the show that is set in Dino and Cheryl's house. Their maid in this segment is very funny and oh so talented! I also really enjoyed one particular song that Dino performed entitled, Christina's Song, that was written by his daughter. It is a piece written in minor and it has a kind of spooky quality to it that will leave you breathless. At the end of the show Dino treats the audience to the real reason for Christmas which is also done beautifully. Check this one out!

Last edited by Jerm; 11-27-2005 at 12:13 AM.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:29 AM   #8
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm
LOL! Suselit, since you passed my "test" and was the person who was most observant can you do me a favor and change the main title from 2006 to 2005? You know I was just seeing who was paying attention (yeah right!) Did I mention I am always early for things?

Thank You,
ROFL!
I won!
I would imagine that planning ahead is an occupational fact for you.

I have loved reading your reviews.
I now know I must see Dino.
I have been leaning towards seeing his Christmas Show, and you pushed me to do it.

Closed Thread