1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Shows

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 01:36 PM   #1
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Show Reviews...Christmas Shows

We were in Branson last week and we had a fun-filled trip seeing the Branson Christmas Shows.

The first show we saw was Mickey Rooney/Lennon Brothers. It was a treat to see an American Movie icon up close (front row). Mickey Rooney is quite charming an witty. At 84 years old, you have to cut him a bit of slack as he sings and dances. But, ever the pro, he gives the audience insight into his long spanning career and his personal life. I do wish that there had been more movie clips. The ones he showed were excellent.

The Lennon Brothers and Gail Lennon do great Swing Music, Christmas style. The film chips they showed of the times they were on Lawrence Welk Christmas Shows were great....many, many memories. and LIVE BAND

We went up to the beautiful White House Theatre to see Amanda and the Magnificent 7. The meal was delicious... steak, baked potato, steamed veg, salad and a loaf of homade dark bread and champagne cake. Service was good.
The White House is up on a high hill and the view daytime and night time is spectaular. You should drive up to the theatre some times, just to see the view of Branson in all directions.
Amanda and the rest of the company work hard to entertain. These young people are showcased in a very professional way. I now see why there's all the fuss about Amanda. She is an exceptionally talented young lady. Her sweet, friendly nature shines though all her numbers.

We thought that the performance lighting at the White House was the best we have seen. Plus they had a LIVE BAND We had 4th row seats.

We also had a first for my husband, a Northern Catholic....We went to see The Sunday Gospel Jubilee at the Grand Country Theatre. (after a big Brunch at the Grand Country Buffet) Well, my husband was entralled by the Bacon Family and Randy Plummer and Mike Patrick's Gospel Music. So Very Good!!!! No one had told us that the show would have great comedy, too.
This is a Sunday only Show because the Bacon Family have pretty good day jobs. I still hear Feeling Might Fine in my head. And LIVE BAND We had 2nd row seats.

This was the third time we have seen The Haygoods. Their show was packed! Better Show than even last year's. Dominic Haygood singing "Mary Did You Know" alone was worth the price of admission. And the boys are a LIVE BAND Loved the Sax!!! The Haygoods really related to their audience. We had 2nd row seats.

Next we hurried to the Branson Mall before 10:30pm and found a line already forming to see Late Night Live. We were with a Buddy and her husband and we got good seats. The guests were Tony Orlando, Mickey Gilley, and Susie Webber (from Country Tonite) Great Show. LIVE BAND. I only wish that we had some way of finding and meeting the other Buddies who were also there that night.

The Lowe Family of Utah are at the Welk Resort. Besides us there were 9 Tour Buses and lots of other folks. We had 2nd row seats in a full house. Very Christmas-y.
This is a very dramatic, over-acted show...exaggerated movements and expressions. One Son, Many daughters following Mother's lead. Very talented family. Dad's trumpet was excellent. LIVE MUSICIAL INSTUMENTS IMO, they didn't show the naturalness and warmth that The Duttons, The Haygoods, or The Lennons show.

I think that the Best Show was the last one we saw...#1 Hits of the 60s. We are going to make this show one we see often. I loved the 60s Christmas Music. Did you know that A Charley Brown Christmas debuted in 1962? And I loved the regular 60s music they did...any show that does Dusty Springfield music knows what 60s music really is. And LIVE EXCELLLENT BAND

Last edited by Suselit; 11-13-2004 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:19 PM   #2
OkieAnon

enjoyed reading the reviews. great to finally see some Christmas reviews showing up.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:06 PM   #3
KJN
Super Ultra Member

Great review. Sounds like you saw lots of shows and had a wonderful time. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:38 PM   #4
PatiCake101
Super Ultra Member

Really enjoyed your reviews! I haven't read much about the White House show, and have always wondered if it was something we would enjoy. Now I know.....it is!!
Your entire review gave me some great ideas for our next trip!!
Thanks..... !

Patty
Old 11-13-2004, 10:49 PM   #5
libraria
Super Ultra Member

WooHoo, seeing Mickey R. and friends on my birthday the 22nd, can't wait!!
Old 11-13-2004, 10:58 PM   #6
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

You know what really helped us get into the Mickey Rooney appreciation state of mind was to watch old Mickey Rooney movies on Turner Classic Movie Channel.
There's one coming up on Nov.21 at 7:00am - Life Begins for Andy Hardy
Old 11-13-2004, 11:21 PM   #7
Jerm
Super Ultra Member

Thanks Suse for the great reviews. I have tickets to see Mickey Rooney coming up and I was curious how his show was. How was the audience size while you were there? I heard that his wife does a Patsy Cline tribute, is that true?

Thanks,
Old 11-14-2004, 09:46 AM   #8
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Yes, Jerm, Jan does a tribute to Patsy Cline. I think that Jan is very good to Mickey. He was quite the "Marrying Man" before they met. But he is such a dear. I am glad for him to have a strong wife to love him so.

Well, we were in Branson at the start of Veteran's Week and the Christmas Season had just begun...so there were lots and lots of Tour Buses. Traffic was not that bad because for every two people on a tour bus there is one less car on the road.

Mickey had a good crowd with his share of tours, too.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:56 PM   #9
Don D
"Smilin Don"

Location: Fort Smith,Ar. 60 Mi.So. of UofA Campus. 3hr drive to Branson.
Enjoyable

Silver Dollar City Friday PM.. Opra House Theatre,Dickens Christmas Carol, Fantastic,like a Broadway Production.See It!!
Friday Night..Mickey Gilley Show, nuff said!!
Saturday PM..Joey Riley at the Branson Mall Theatre. Kaci Bays gets to show how talented she is. Joey shows his overall talent. See It!!
Saturday night.. The Duttons Christmas Show,So Much Color,So Much Talent,So Inspirational!!!!!! SEE IT!!
My wife and I were privileged to see these shows this weekend. It was pretty cool [weather] in Branson.
We have a family meeting in about 2 weeks there to close out our visits for 2004.
If every thing goes well we will soon be disscussing Branson 2005...
Don...

Last edited by Don D; 11-14-2004 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:06 PM   #10
Double Mom
Packer Fan

Thanks Suse and Don D for the reviews...sounds like you took in some great shows!
Old 11-16-2004, 12:59 AM   #11
Reverend Curlee

Hey Suse, Thank You for your kind words about the #1 Hits Of The Sixties show. But equally as important, Thank You for emphasizing the LIVE BAND/MUSIC aspect of all the shows you saw. You will never (IMHO) get the ENERGY, HEART or SOUL of a truly Live Show, from a Tracked Show. Branson is supposed to be the LIVE MUSIC/SHOW CAPITOL OF AMERICA and LIVE MUSIC MEANS A LIVE BAND AND LIVE SINGERS!!!! THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC!!!!
Sincerely, RC
Old 11-16-2004, 06:33 PM   #12
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Oh, I agree! There's nothing like live performance and a Live Band! You don't just hear the music, you feel the music. Branson deserves the title of Live Music Capitol of America.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:38 PM   #13
lookin4fun

Thumbs up Magnificent 7

I agree also about live bands! We were in Branson last week and again saw Amanda and the Magnificent 7. This is our favorite show and Suselit is right, Amanda's bubbly personality shines through on the stage! We also saw Mickey Rooney and probably wouldn't go back but it was great to see someone his age put so much into his show!
Old 11-17-2004, 06:53 AM   #14
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookin4fun
I agree also about live bands! We were in Branson last week and again saw Amanda and the Magnificent 7. This is our favorite show and Suselit is right, Amanda's bubbly personality shines through on the stage! We also saw Mickey Rooney and probably wouldn't go back but it was great to see someone his age put so much into his show!
Realisticly, we will probably not be given another opportunity to see Mickey Rooney. So we are glad that we were able to see him in person. He is a very sweet man. I wonder if he has written a book about the MGM days and his Hollywood experiences?
Old 11-17-2004, 08:45 AM   #15
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Suse...I love your reviews........

Ive been so busy of late Ive just skipped over the posts...but, Im sure glad I stopped to read this one........

Maybe now that Im home, near Branson, we can go see some of these shows...SOON.

Thanks for taking the time, to give such a great show review.

Closed Thread