1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Outdoor Activities

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 06:28 AM   #1
flyfishinggolfer

Wooly variation

The other week I was in a great spot down off Pointe Royale. I could see the fish and they were dimpling within 30 feet down stream. I threw everything at them--tiger tails, cracklebacks in all colors and sizes and the old reliable black and olive woolies. Nothing. A friend had quit fly fishing and gave me what was left of his flies. One was an odd looking wooly. It had a peacock tail of ginger and black tip, a light cream body and ginger hackle, tied off with a red head. Why not? They couldn't get enough of it. I only had one and fish number 20 broke it off. I should have checked my tippet. Oh, well. I could not reverse engineer it. So, I tied it as best I could from memory. Peacock tail with a black tip, medium light yellow chenille, ginger dry hackle and red thread head (a Lucille Ball). I only tied one. Last weekend while water was low Saturday morning I headed to the "new" rebar hole. Tiger tail was so-so, green woolie was so-so. I tied on the light yellow woolie and they crushed it. It was unweighted and they also hit it like a dry. Of course, someone will tie 50 of them and not get a hit. For what it's worth.

Fly
Old 08-25-2017, 12:22 PM   #2
LaJoe
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishinggolfer View Post
The other week I was in a great spot down off Pointe Royale. I could see the fish and they were dimpling within 30 feet down stream. I threw everything at them--tiger tails, cracklebacks in all colors and sizes and the old reliable black and olive woolies. Nothing. A friend had quit fly fishing and gave me what was left of his flies. One was an odd looking wooly. It had a peacock tail of ginger and black tip, a light cream body and ginger hackle, tied off with a red head. Why not? They couldn't get enough of it. I only had one and fish number 20 broke it off. I should have checked my tippet. Oh, well. I could not reverse engineer it. So, I tied it as best I could from memory. Peacock tail with a black tip, medium light yellow chenille, ginger dry hackle and red thread head (a Lucille Ball). I only tied one. Last weekend while water was low Saturday morning I headed to the "new" rebar hole. Tiger tail was so-so, green woolie was so-so. I tied on the light yellow woolie and they crushed it. It was unweighted and they also hit it like a dry. Of course, someone will tie 50 of them and not get a hit. For what it's worth.

Fly
That is interesting that they are so finicky about color. I am a crappie fishermen, and some days they are like that, but most of the time they are not nearly so discriminating.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:48 PM   #3
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Sounds like there are several options for the buggy whip guys up there now.
http://www.lilleyslanding.com/news/s...fishing-report
I fished from Lookout (in front of Andy Williams' house) down to the new gravel island at the narrows last week. Saw lots of fish around that island. Caught a few, mostly on Sculpin/ginger, or ginger 1/16 ounce jigs. They were not real agressive with lots of short strikes.

Closed Thread