1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Outdoor Activities

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 07:14 AM   #1
flyfishinggolfer

April Fool's fishing

It was April Fool's on the lower arm where nothing was biting. As we passed boat after boat, it was the same thing...nothing much. But, the trophy area was hot. My companions did well on the BH red midge and the zebra midge, size 16 and 18 fished under an indicator. I am not much for midge fishing. The black bug eyed wooly in 12 and 10 was the most effective. We did not get much above Trophy Run and fished the "fast water" between the billboard and the steps. The area above the faster water was productive also. There is a stump or whats left of a tree on the north bank in the middle of the faster water. We nicknamed it "alligator stump" because is looks like a huge gator coming out of the water. That was THE most productive area for red BH midges. Hopes this helps someone.

Fly
Old 04-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #2
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

What part are you calling "lower arm"? Reports of good fishng around the Landing, Monkey Island, Cooper Creek, and Fall Creek to Short Creek have been coming in as late as last Thursday. Although I think there was suposed to have been some heavy rain late last week, so that certainly could have changed things.

Last edited by rjw1991A1; 04-03-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:07 PM   #3
flyfishinggolfer

fishing

I call anything below Fall Creek, or below the trophy area the lower arm. We fished Saturday afternoon. The dock hands told us it was slow. Boats we passed complained that it was slow and just looking around you could see it was slow catching.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:54 PM   #4
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Yup, Taney can turn at a moment's notice. Probably weather related if they had a bunch of rain.
I have fished the day before a turnament, and tore them up on a Trout Maget under a foat. Besting my Son who was fishig the same color marabou jig under a float by four or five to one. The next day they wouldn't touch the Trout Magnet, but we finished in third place fishing mostly the jigs.

While I am not a fly fisherman, I do like the red Zebra midge. #18 or 20 on about a 12" dropper from a 1/80 oz jig under a float. My favorite when the fish are midging, and the current isn't too swift. It amazes me that even big trout will eat those tiny flys. Most often they will hit the midge fly. Usually 9 out of ten times with a few grabbing the jig.

I'm coming down around the first of May, and although I'll be hitting the trout I think I will brig some bass gear, and head down to Rockaway Beach or so to see if I can hook up on a few Taneycomo bass.

Closed Thread