Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Possibly moving within a year. Welcome Wagon
Go Back   1Branson.com > Living in Branson > Welcome Wagon
Register FAQ Members List Event Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
Charley1980

Cool Possibly moving within a year.

Hello all. I'm considering moving to the Branson area within the next year. I live in NW MO, but love the Branson area with all the beautiful scenery and vibrant life I have witnessed there. I have only visited, so I have no idea what it is actually like to live there. Can anyone give me the 411 on what it's like to live in the area. I'm 31 and will have a masters degree in psychology by the time I'm ready to move...is it a good area for someone of my age with that education? Any information you all have would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Bookmark only this post: Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Yahoo Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member

Have you read through some of the other threads in which others talked about relocating to Branson? Those might give you some insight even if they are related to different circumstances (job, age, kids, etc.).

http://www.1branson.com/forum/t56220.html
http://www.1branson.com/forum/t59232.html
http://www.1branson.com/forum/t57448.html
http://www.1branson.com/forum/t53511.html

Any specific questions you need answered?
Bookmark only this post: Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Yahoo Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 01-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Springfield, about a 45 minute drive from Branson, has a large number of jobs in education and health care and might be better-suited to finding a job in your field. You may want to consider living in Ozark or Nixa; cities located between Springfield and Branson.

Great Times in Branson

Old 01-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
Carol3
Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Springfield, about a 45 minute drive from Branson, has a large number of jobs in education and health care and might be better-suited to finding a job in your field. You may want to consider living in Ozark or Nixa; cities located between Springfield and Branson.

I agree with MNtraveler. Many of the jobs in the Branson area are lower paying positions in the tourism area. Even if you find a position in your field, it also may be lower pay than what you might find elsewhere. You may find a job better suited to your area in Springfield and live in between Springfield and Branson. We relocated this year and chose to live 30 minutes outside of Branson (although we both work in Branson). We purchased our home with retirement in mind and did not care for the idea of neighbors in our backyard. But then we came from the bean and corn fields of IL. We actually started looking in Branson, but then discussed what we were most interested in doing. For my husband it was fishing. We live on the lake, but have all of the benefits of Branson so close to us. Earlier today I had a fun day shopping in Branson. After I came home, I enjoyed a wonderful walk with my dogs as I admired the lake and scenery (very peaceful). We can drive three blocks and put the boat on the water. Later, we will take a drive into town to eat at Tequila's. So, I would suggest that you consider what most interests you about the area. Do you like the lake or the ability to walk out your door and be five minutes from a show?
Old 01-08-2012, 02:46 AM   #5
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

I truly enjoy living in Nixa. I originally moved to Branson when I retired, but relocated to Nixa after getting engaged to a woman who worked in Springfield. I feel that I have the best of both worlds... I am 15 minutes away from Springfield and 30 minutes away from Branson. Springfield offers far more "big name" entertainment at the JQH Arena than is available in Branson. At the same time, if I want to experience Branson style entertainment it is a relatively short drive from home.

Cost of living is also considerably lower in Nixa than it is in Branson. Whether it is cost of housing, the cost of a gallon of gas, the prices at the local Wal-Mart, or what you pay for a pack of cigarettes; Branson costs significantly more than surrounding communities.

I still enjoy Branson and visit there at least twice a month. We have Season Passes to Silver Dollar City and really enjoy the offerings at the Branson Landing. We also enjoy our proximity to Springfield and all that it offers. As I said, we truly feel that we have the best of both worlds.

Good luck with your move no matter what you decide!!

Great Times in Branson

Old 01-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
Crazy4Branson
Super Ultra Member

&&&&&&&&&&& Compared to where I moved from; SE Iowa, Branson is a bargain for housing, etc.....
I am settling IN Branson for a while.....
Old 01-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Branson View Post
&&&&&&&&&&& Compared to where I moved from; SE Iowa, Branson is a bargain for housing, etc.....
I am settling IN Branson for a while.....
I know. It was also very inexpensive compared to living in Minneapolis, which factored heavily into my retirement decision. There is no way I could have retired in the Twin Cities for another 5 years. It was only when I moved to Nixa to get closer to my wife's job that I discovered how much cheaper it was to live outside of Branson.

Great Times in Branson

Old 01-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
ggh
Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley1980 View Post
Hello all. I'm considering moving to the Branson area within the next year. I live in NW MO, but love the Branson area with all the beautiful scenery and vibrant life I have witnessed there. I have only visited, so I have no idea what it is actually like to live there. Can anyone give me the 411 on what it's like to live in the area. I'm 31 and will have a masters degree in psychology by the time I'm ready to move...is it a good area for someone of my age with that education? Any information you all have would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Charley, what do you WANT to do with your Master's in Psychology? Social work, counseling, teach, ? If we had an idea of what you hope to do with your degree, we might be able to point you in the right direction.

NW MO - as in KC, or are you rural? When have you visited Branson, during the summer, or winter months? We live pretty rural, 30 minutes or so outside of Springfield, small hometown community, when dh goes to hunt in NW MO, outside of Princeton, he is usually anxious to return home after a few days for some variety. If you're in KC, you are going to feel like there is no variety in SW MO.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:07 AM   #9
Charley1980

Thanks

Thank you for all the replies. I basically want to move to that area because it is so beautiful there with a mix of rural community living, but then a huge amount of things to do in the city of Branson itself. I have never lived on the water, but am fascinated with the idea of living on or very near a lake. I felt like the Branson area would be ideal for that. I'm keeping an open mind as far as what I will do with my masters in psychology. I've spent many years living in an inactive manner, not living life, enjoying what is has to offer...I need a change, and I guess I kind of figured with all there is to do in that area as far as recreation and entertainment, that I would take advantage of it and live a fuller life. Anyway, thank you again for your replies. Do any of you live in Hollister or know anything about that town? You say Nixa is located half way between Springfield and Branson?
Old 04-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #10
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Not quite half... it is about 2/3 of the way to Springfield. 15 minutes to Springfield, 30 minutes to Branson. It is a nice community with an excellent school system. Ozark is about the same distance, and is also a nice community. It is perhaps a little more of a "straight shot" to Branson being right on Hwy 65.

Great Times in Branson

Old 05-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
JoseyWales2
Super Ultra Member

i found branson area to be very friendly and open to new ppl moving in albeit i think the job market is prob not too good unless you are a professional and can fit into the local govt or medical or school communities. YES, mostly tax assisted type jobs remain the best paying out there and they have good pensions.

if i was starting over i wouild look for the best pensions and go do that.

UPS, railroads, govt, schools, medical all qualify. TSA jobs have to be a dream too. stand around and hassle old ppl getting on planes. hah.

k
Old 06-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #12
FoxySr

moving by fall

Hello everyone,
We are moving to Branson by fall this year and need some information.
We are both in our mid sixties and semi retired.
My husband had his own business and travels all over the world. I am a seamstress and wondering if there is room for one more in Branson or are there already too many? Should I move my business or sell out?

Closed Thread