View Single Post
Old 10-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #6
leftsaidted
Ultra Member

Hmmm...well there are several points to consider...up until 2014, it WAS LEGAL to take an UNLIMITED number of anterless/young bucks/does in Missouri! So, if you had neighbors "bragging" about having 6 (or for that matter, 600!!) deer in their freezer(s) in the years preceding and up to, 2014, they were doing NOTHING illegal!

As for a truck sitting beside a road, after dark, with hunting decals all over it..well, it just depends HOW FAR that hunter had to walk in to get into his tree stand! If he is several miles deep into the woods (yes, it IS possible to be "there") and stays on the stand until sundown/dark, then carefully walks out, going up and down the rugged canyons, hollers, skirting rock bluffs, and streams, it can take a LONG TIME to get back to your truck!! And again, he is doing NOTHING illegal!

There are areas in Missouri with SEVERE deer overpopulations! As an example, take the tiny little burg of Town and Country. They have been spending $100K, that's correct, ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS, every year to fund the killing of thousands of deer, in a desperate attempt to gain control of the whitetail OVERPOPULATION in their area! But to no avail, as the more they spend, the more deer they kill, the FASTER the deer reproduce, and the LARGER the OVERPOPULATION of white tails becomes! Last I heard, they were looking to either attempt a vast STERILIZATION of the deer herds....there seems to be conflicting debate within the scientific community as to whether that is a viable option, that is more effective than hunting and shooting them.

My personal opinion, is that I am tired of being on edge anytime I am driving at dark on any Missouri highway, straining my eyes and ready to slam on my brakes or take drastic evasive action, for any deer that jump out in front of me! So, IMO, please harvest all the deer you wish! I have had multiple collisons with deer, in Missouri, and Arkansas, traveling back and forth at times, and I don't wish for any more! Of course, do all your "harvesting" legally..yep, yep.
leftsaidted is offline   Reply With Quote