1Branson.com

1Branson.com (http://www.1branson.com/forum/index.php)
-   Branson Shows (http://www.1branson.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Who does these? (http://www.1branson.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74559)

ShowMeGirl 08-13-2014 08:04 PM

Who does these?

Where do these awards come from? It seems like a very odd choice of nominees. I voted and was surprised by the leaders. I know others have differing tastes, but is there any validity to these? Looks like it's a way to promote a few shows that aren't so well known. http://www.werbranson.com/wrb-show-awards-2014.html

bransoncutie 08-13-2014 08:46 PM

I have no idea who this is that's doing this awards program. But it is a pretty eclectic group of nominees -- and interesting to see who is leading in the voting.

NotJLB 08-13-2014 08:59 PM

It being so strange and eclectic, I decided not to look.

:D

DalmatianDad 08-13-2014 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bransoncutie (Post 839167)
I have no idea who this is that's doing this awards program. But it is a pretty eclectic group of nominees -- and interesting to see who is leading in the voting.

Agree--velly interesting.. No further comment at this time:frog:

ShowMeGirl 08-13-2014 09:39 PM

Is this a common thing? There seems to be so many awards in Branson that do not seem to have any accountability. Can anyone setup a website and just give out awards? It seems strange to me that these are based upon getting the public to vote on a few selected "nominees". It seems like it would be more of a popularity contest vs a real reflection of quality. Just my 2 cents.

As I said, I know others have different tastes. I'm just surprised that so many long standing shows and entertainers are missing and it seems to be a lot of the more obscure entertainers and shows that could use some publicity and maybe a few awards listed under their names.

tortminder 08-14-2014 05:58 AM

Meaningless awards

I have been nominated for "Best newcomer with absolutely no talent"!:frog:
I expect to win easily.:applause:

biscuitcreek 08-14-2014 08:35 AM

Branson Tri-Lakes had these 2 articles recently about another set of awards -- the Terry Awards:

Article 1

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/enter...a4bcf887a.html

Article 2 about nominees not listed in the first article

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/enter...a4bcf887a.html

Branson Junkie 08-16-2014 10:38 AM

Wow!!! I see what you mean by the ballot selections. I don't find too many there to vote for.

MNtraveler 08-16-2014 11:49 AM

I didn't see that the shows listed were out of place at all. The following make perfect sense:

Tribute Show: Liverpool Legends

Family Show: The Duttons or Haygoods. Both are excellent.

Male Entertainer: I've only seen Benjamin Dutton and Mickey Gilley, but I think a good case could be made for either of them. As the last nationally known entertainer left in Branson, I wouldn't mind seeing it go to Mickey... especialy since he may not be entertaining much longer.

Female Entertainer: I've only seen Amy Dutton and Barbara Fairchild, but you could make a good case for either one.

Show of the Year: This is the only category where I disagree with the nominees. My candidates would be Six, Haygoods, Presleys, Clay Cooper and Sight and Sound Theater.

:) :)

Branson Junkie 08-16-2014 12:39 PM

And that is why variety of shows is good because everyone doesn't agree as to who or what is best. What I thought was odd about these lists was not so much who was ON the list but who was NOT ON the list. In at least one case I believe the entertainer's venue is a buffet. I don't believe that person belongs on the list, on top of the fact that this person is still riding on the laurels of one song.

MNtraveler 08-16-2014 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branson Junkie (Post 839329)
And that is why variety of shows is good because everyone doesn't agree as to who or what is best. What I thought was odd about these lists was not so much who was ON the list but who was NOT ON the list. In at least one case I believe the entertainer's venue is a buffet. I don't believe that person belongs on the list, on top of the fact that this person is still riding on the laurels of one song.

Yes, it is a buffet. What can you say, this is Branson!

:D :p :D

But it is not just one song... she had five singles to appear in the Country top 20. Sure, the last one was over 35 years ago, but how many Branson entertainers can even say that? The only regular performers I'm aware of would be Mickey Gilley and the Platters. No, she's not currently big and has switched to being as much gospel as country. But I think your comment was unfairly disparaging. When I saw her I thought she was still a pretty decent entertainer for Branson.

Just my opinion...

helppitch 08-16-2014 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNtraveler (Post 839330)
Yes, it is a buffet. What can you say, this is Branson!

:D :p :D

But it is not just one song... she had five singles to appear in the Country top 20. Sure, the last one was over 35 years ago, but how many Branson entertainers can even say that? The only regular performers I'm aware of would be Mickey Gilley and the Platters. No, she's not currently big and has switched to being as much gospel as country. But I think your comment was unfairly disparaging. When I saw her I thought she was still a pretty decent entertainer for Branson.

Just my opinion...

Billy Dean has 5 number one's & 11 top ten.

helppitch 08-16-2014 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNtraveler (Post 839328)
I didn't see that the shows listed were out of place at all. The following make perfect sense:

Tribute Show: Liverpool Legends

Family Show: The Duttons or Haygoods. Both are excellent.

Male Entertainer: I've only seen Benjamin Dutton and Mickey Gilley, but I think a good case could be made for either of them. As the last nationally known entertainer left in Branson, I wouldn't mind seeing it go to Mickey... especialy since he may not be entertaining much longer.

Female Entertainer: I've only seen Amy Dutton and Barbara Fairchild, but you could make a good case for either one.

Show of the Year: This is the only category where I disagree with the nominees. My candidates would be Six, Haygoods, Presleys, Clay Cooper and Sight and Sound Theater.

Your picks for show of the year are right on, in my opinion.
Female entertainer of the year should include one young lady on the Celtic ladies (can't recall her name right now). My best female entertainer, would be easy for me to choose, Nadia Cole of AYO.

bransoncutie 08-16-2014 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by helppitch (Post 839346)
Your picks for show of the year are right on, in my opinion.
Female entertainer of the year should include one young lady on the Celtic ladies (can't recall her name right now). My best female entertainer, would be easy for me to choose, Nadia Cole of AYO.

I agree -- Nadia Cole is incredible!!

MNtraveler 08-17-2014 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by helppitch (Post 839345)
Billy Dean has 5 number one's & 11 top ten.

Sorry, forgot about him. He's new in Branson this year, right? I haven't seen his show yet.