1Branson.com

1Branson.com (http://www.1branson.com/forum/index.php)
-   Branson Shows (http://www.1branson.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Moon River Theatre...a little sad (http://www.1branson.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72559)

persimmons 11-09-2013 07:10 PM

Moon River Theatre...a little sad

Saw The New AW Christmas Show. The Theatre Seems A Little Empty. All Of ThE Artwork Is Gone. Sad. Additionally, They SeemTo Be Systematically Removing Mention Of Andy From AGood Deal OfThe MerRch.Much Of The Gift Shop Had Marked Down Stuff With On It. First The Navajo Blankets, The The Restarant, And...

rjw1991A1 11-09-2013 08:05 PM

I'm sure as with the Moon River Grill if the theater doesn't turn a big profit for Andy's heirs It will be closed, and for sale.

helppitch 11-09-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 (Post 814801)
I'm sure as with the Moon River Grill if the theater doesn't turn a big profit for Andy's heirs It will be closed, and for sale.

As for the theater, pictures, etc. of Andy abound, & his wife, Debbie has indicated she will continue to make Branson her home for many years. Don't know about the rest of the year, but Daniel O'Donnell is packing them in (sold out several times) & apparently the Lennon Sisters, Osmonds are also drawing huge crowds.

MNtraveler 11-09-2013 11:10 PM

It is by far the classiest theater in Branson, and whether his artwork is there or not, it will ALWAYS be "Andy's Place" and very special.

It is a totally different deal than the Moon River Grill... I think that was more or less a "hobby" for Andy... something he enjoyed. The theater is a very profitable venture with or without him performing there and I am sure it will remain under current ownership for years to come. In recent years he only performed there during the Christmas Season anyway, and they still did very well during the rest of the year.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Coach Man 11-10-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNtraveler (Post 814807)
It is by far the classiest theater in Branson, and whether his artwork is there or not, it will ALWAYS be "Andy's Place" and very special.

It is a totally different deal than the Moon River Grill... I think that was more or less a "hobby" for Andy... something he enjoyed. The theater is a very profitable venture with or without him performing there and I am sure it will remain under current ownership for years to come. In recent years he only performed there during the Christmas Season anyway, and they still did very well during the rest of the year.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Eventually, it will move on and become something else....like Boxcar Willie's has now become The Duttons place.

Coach Man.

cornonthecob 11-10-2013 08:39 AM

Or it could become the next Grand Palace!

MLM 11-10-2013 08:42 AM

Theater

It's a beautiful theater... its main issue (as far as I can see) is its size. Because it's a big venue, the cost of running a show is very high (because of the amount of crew required, the utility costs, etc.) Shows like Daniel & the Osmonds/Lennons can draw big crowds, but (in my opinion) not for 200+ shows. Part of the reason for their average crowd size is that they're performing for a LIMITED TIME. Put those two shows on a year-round schedule and I guarantee their numbers will go down. A theater the size of Moon River has trouble making a profit with full-time shows. They may well decide that it's better to be closed most of the season and just open for limited runs. A theater about half the size is perfect for year-round use. It looks fine with 200 people and if you have to turn patrons away during your peak times, well--is it bad for people to say, "Wow. That show's doing so well that they sell out?"

MLM 11-10-2013 08:45 AM

Grand Palace

Actually, it's perfectly poised to be the next Grand Palace. By that I mean-- what the Grand Palace USED to be. It's in a great location and a perfect size for very limited runs by big stars.

rjw1991A1 11-10-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

It's a beautiful theater... its main issue (as far as I can see) is its size. Because it's a big venue, the cost of running a show is very high (because of the amount of crew required, the utility costs, etc.)
Quote:

A theater the size of Moon River has trouble making a profit with full-time shows.
Where have we heard that before? Could It have been.................
Quote:

Or it could become the next Grand Palace!
I hope not. Branson doesn't need another run down, vacant former "Crown Jewell"!

c kling 11-10-2013 09:18 AM

If the want it to become the next Grand Palace I hope they do something to accomadate the handicap better. As of now they get stuck in the back & I know some of them could sit in the front row if they could get down there. Only theatre that we found like this.

MNtraveler 11-10-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c kling (Post 814829)
If the want it to become the next Grand Palace I hope they do something to accomadate the handicap better. As of now they get stuck in the back & I know some of them could sit in the front row if they could get down there. Only theatre that we found like this.

Are they stuck all the way in the back or just the first row of the upper level? I thought there was an entrance aisle at the middle level of the theater, and there was handicap seating there. I actually don't like front-row seats at the Moon River Theater... you are too close to that large stage to really see everything comfortably. We always ask to be seated at least 10 rows back.

rjw1991A1 11-10-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

If the want it to become the next Grand Palace
:confused::confused::confused::eek:

Nobody wants MRT to become the next Grand Palace! The Grand Palace is an abandoned, run down eyesore in Branson! It's demise was that It was too big for regular Branson shows, and not big enough for current top entertainers. Even if a top name in today's music industry would consider a venue in Branson smaller than the arenas and domes they perform in, would the Branson crowd fork over the $100 plus ticket price.

MNtraveler 11-10-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 (Post 814833)
:confused::confused::confused::eek:

Nobody wants MRT to become the next Grand Palace! The Grand Palace is an abandoned, run down eyesore in Branson! It's demise was that It was too big for regular Branson shows, and not big enough for current top entertainers. Even if a top name in today's music industry would consider a venue in Branson smaller than the arenas and domes they perform in, would the Branson crowd fork over the $100 plus ticket price.

Not sure it would take $100 tickets. We saw both Elton John and Keith Urban with Little Big Town at the JQH for about $60 per ticket. Obviously they can sell more tickets at JQH, but if the entertainer were "headquartered" in Branson they wouldn't have to deal with the massive expense of bringing the show "on the road".

You probably couldn't sell $60 tickets in Branson for a year-round show, but you could follow the "Andy model" with the star performer having a relatively limited season and fill in the rest of the year with lesser acts at a lower price. You could also partition off the top half of the theater with some type of removable wall so that when the full theater was not necessary you would just be seating in the lower half. That theater is too beautiful to let it go.

rjw1991A1 11-10-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

but if the entertainer were "headquartered" in Branson they wouldn't have to deal with the massive expense of bringing the show "on the road".
Quote:

You probably couldn't sell $60 tickets in Branson for a year-round show, but you could follow the "Andy model" with the star performer having a relatively limited season and fill in the rest of the year with lesser acts at a lower price
You couldn't sell $60 tickets year round, but to keep the ticket price down to $60 an entertainer would have to be headquartered in Branson. Kind of opposite directions there Trav.
Secondly, today's top entertainers are not about to "headquarter" in Branson. Even in it's heyday, Branson didn't bring in the top entertainers of the time to open a theater, or be headquartered there. More of the Branson, or retirement entertainers.

c kling 11-10-2013 12:21 PM

Not sure if handicap is all the way in the back - this was what I was told when I called about some tickets. We like front row since we r so short & it always seems like we get really tall people in front of us if we sit back farther. I take my mom into the theatres by wheelchair but she then transfer to the regular seat & they told me that there is no way to get down there with a wheelchair. So we just don't go to that theatre. No problem but there r shows there that I would go see.