1Branson.com

1Branson.com (http://www.1branson.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Destinations (http://www.1branson.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Austin Texas ???????? (http://www.1branson.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61358)

shis1 05-05-2011 08:57 PM

Austin Texas ????????
 
Read in another thread that Austin, Texas is being called the Live Music Capital of the world..........(I believe Bluesman was the one who posted this.)
Has anyone been to Austin recently? Are there a lot of places to hear 'live music' ----- live COUNTRY music? Theaters or honky tonks or bars????? Maybe some of our Texas friends can tell us a bit about Austin and the music there ????????
We come to Branson to listen to 'the music, COUNTRY music' :cool: and I'm wondering how the music in Austin compares to the music in Branson.

Blaze2 05-05-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shis1 (Post 668627)
Read in another thread that Austin, Texas is being called the Live Music Capital of the world..........(I believe Bluesman was the one who posted this.)
Has anyone been to Austin recently? Are there a lot of places to hear 'live music' ----- live COUNTRY music? Theaters or honky tonks or bars????? Maybe some of our Texas friends can tell us a bit about Austin and the music there ????????
We come to Branson to listen to 'the music, COUNTRY music' :cool: and I'm wondering how the music in Austin compares to the music in Branson.

Noting like Branson at all. They can call it whatever they want,
but that doesn't mean it is!!!
However a lot of country singers are from that area of Texas.

shis1 05-05-2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaze2 (Post 668634)
Noting like Branson at all. They can call it whatever they want,
but that doesn't mean it is!!!
However a lot of country singers are from that area of Texas.

So ----- at what kind of 'venues' does one find the music?

neilandkris 05-05-2011 11:03 PM

Austin is a college town UT so most of the live music is in bars and honky tonks si I have been told. They have a lot of places for new and upcoming artists. and the old ones like Willie Nelson. I think he may have a music hall or something there not sure on that though.Also a lot of alternative stuff.

bransonframer 05-05-2011 11:31 PM

Agreed. Nothing like Branson at all. I don't think it's as much as costumes, sing and dance, and fancy (debatable) productions. It's more of your typical Live show of a band doing their stuff and trying to promote their music rather than trying to entertain all generations and all walks of life with cover versions of a gamut of the musical spectrum. It's also not the same act in the same venue day in, day out, all year long. It's actual touring bands coming through town and doing one or two night shows here and there. Although there are some that have a regular gig at the same joint maybe one night a week.

Try this link. http://unlockaustin.com/ You might recognize a name or two in there. Brett Dennan, James McMurtry, and John Spencer Blues Explosion are just a few names I recognize off the top.

Also, when you say COUNTRY music, this means so many different things to so many different people. For some, it's Hank Snow, Roy Acuff, and Bob Wills. For others it's Hank Jr, David Allen Coe, and Johnny Paycheck. For others it's Charlie Pride, Ronnie Milsap, and Restless Heart. And yet for others it's Carrie Underwood, Rascall Flats and Miranda Lambert. I think you can see that each of these groups are distinctly different styles. You'll just have to do research on the artists and stuff and find the acts that would appeal to you before you lay out money to go to a show.

bransonframer 05-05-2011 11:37 PM

Also, here is the link from when we discussed this topic a few months ago.

http://www.1branson.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59348

shis1 05-06-2011 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bransonframer (Post 668645)
Agreed. Nothing like Branson at all. I don't think it's as much as costumes, sing and dance, and fancy (debatable) productions. It's more of your typical Live show of a band doing their stuff and trying to promote their music rather than trying to entertain all generations and all walks of life with cover versions of a gamut of the musical spectrum. It's also not the same act in the same venue day in, day out, all year long. It's actual touring bands coming through town and doing one or two night shows here and there. Although there are some that have a regular gig at the same joint maybe one night a week.

Try this link. http://unlockaustin.com/ You might recognize a name or two in there. Brett Dennan, James McMurtry, and John Spencer Blues Explosion are just a few names I recognize off the top.

Also, when you say COUNTRY music, this means so many different things to so many different people. For some, it's Hank Snow, Roy Acuff, and Bob Wills. For others it's Hank Jr, David Allen Coe, and Johnny Paycheck. For others it's Charlie Pride, Ronnie Milsap, and Restless Heart. And yet for others it's Carrie Underwood, Rascall Flats and Miranda Lambert. I think you can see that each of these groups are distinctly different styles. You'll just have to do research on the artists and stuff and find the acts that would appeal to you before you lay out money to go to a show.

When I say 'country', I mean traditional country.......Merle Haggard, George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Moe Bandy, Roy Acuff, Bill Anderson, Mark Chestnutt, Daryl Singletary and throw in some George Strait, Alan Jackson, Randy Travis.....don't care a whole lot of the likes of Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood is ok (but she is straying from country too much for me!) I'm talking about the 'country music' that is played on Willie's Place on XM (now Willie's Roadhouse) So many of the artists being played on country radio today are not what I consider country music!

From the various things that have been posted in this thread, I think we'll stick with Branson! ;) and forget about Austin Tx:faint:

pamlet 05-06-2011 06:51 AM

Austin is unique .. There are bumper stickers and t-shirts that say "Keep Austin Weird"

There are a lot of places that have original music .. a bit of everything..

Venues are more of the "honkey tonk" variety ..

And while there is an ABUNDANCE of that in Austin .. you can find simliar things all over the area . and to be honest it's FUN to do .. you never know what you'll see..

There was an article in Texas Monthly recently that featured a woman who books acts at Gruene Hall. George Strait, Lyle Lovett all played there early in their careers .. If you've seen the movie "Michael" with John Travolta, Gruene Hall is where they filmed the scene in the bar .. Anyway this woman said New Braunfels music scene is what Austin was in the 70's .. and there's TONS of live music on the weekends now in New Braunfels .. but once again w/that "honkey tonk" venue.

We've got two or three places just within a few miles of us that feature live music on the weekends.. I don't even know if I'd call them "honkey tonks" .. more of a restaurant that serves a lotta beer .. laugh .. most have outdoor space that the bands set up on in decent weather.. (which is most of the time).. Some have open mike nights .. We enjoy sitting out with our iced tea and soda and listening to the band, or the performer with a lone guitar..

I LOVE Branson - LOVE the shows .. BUT it's fun to go out around here too .. you never know what you're going to hear - but there are so many places you can go sit out on the patio and hear music .. A lot of places are more of a restaurant/bar .. it's fun and entertaining!

BeagleDad 05-06-2011 07:27 AM

Agreed, it is mainly honky tonks and bars. Nothing even similar to Branson.

midnite_cruzer 05-06-2011 11:55 AM

I must admit, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Austin. 6th St is a blast; there's always something exciting going on, and Stubb's BBQ makes me drool at the thought, but to compare it to Branson is like comparing Johnny Rotten to Frank Sinatra - their targets are polar. As pretty much everyone else has mentioned - Austin is more a bar and club scene, while Branson is a performance and production scene.

When I lived in San Antone, I would fly out of Austin to visit my dad in Bentonville, because it had a direct flight to Branson for just $150. Austin has the only airport I've ever seen where you can enjoy a live band as soon as you exit your gate - an idea that I think Branson would be keen to adopt. One crummy thing about flying in and out of Austin, though - there's always some joker who boards right before takeoff with a carry-on guitar, and it takes 15 minutes for the stewards to find a place to stow it.

P.S. - KEEP AUSTIN WEIRD!!

Branson Bluesman 05-06-2011 12:14 PM

If you want a theater show, yeah, come to Branson. Austin has way more musical variety than Branson and you'll see it in way more diverse locations. Great restaurants like Stubbs, Threadgills, etc. offer a wide variety of live music on almost nightly basis. Also a ton more live music clubs than Branson. Country, Western Swing, Honky Tonk, Blues, Mexican, Zydeco, Rock, etc. You won't find that kind of variety in Branson. So, as far as more "live" music, yeah...you'll probably find more in Austin.

BeagleDad 05-06-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branson Bluesman (Post 668776)
If you want a theater show, yeah, come to Branson. Austin has way more musical variety than Branson and you'll see it in way more diverse locations. Great restaurants like Stubbs, Threadgills, etc. offer a wide variety of live music on almost nightly basis. Also a ton more live music clubs than Branson. Country, Western Swing, Honky Tonk, Blues, Mexican, Zydeco, Rock, etc. You won't find that kind of variety in Branson. So, as far as more "live" music, yeah...you'll probably find more in Austin.

I know I'm getting old when I don't have a clue what 'Zydeco' music is, but I am still 100% sure I wouldn't like it!! :D

Crazy4Branson 05-06-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeagleDad (Post 668829)
I know I'm getting old when I don't have a clue what 'Zydeco' music is, but I am still 100% sure I wouldn't like it!! :D

It's kinda' like 'Cajun boogie. It's not new.....

Very up-tempo & fun to dance to. I'd give it a 9....:D

www.cascadezydeco.com/listen.shtml

Branson Bluesman 05-06-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeagleDad (Post 668829)
I know I'm getting old when I don't have a clue what 'Zydeco' music is, but I am still 100% sure I wouldn't like it!! :D


Actually I think you might like it. Louisiana swamp music.
Chubby Carrier is the man!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOxvSmoNYWU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkimbkbQBuo

MNtraveler 05-06-2011 04:04 PM

Austin gave us Stevie Ray Vaughan, and it just doesn't get any better than that! The guy is AWESOME!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:20 PM.

--