1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Outdoor Activities

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Taneycomo fishing......TOUGH!!!

While regardless of the catch it's always a pleasure to be on the lake. This weekend was made an even more pleasure by taking board member LaJoe for some trout fishing Friday morning. My Son and I enjoyed having him along for a little fishing, and enjoyable conversation.
I only regret that the fishing wasn't better. We did catch some fish, maybe a dozen between the three of us, but not what I expected. Most of the ones we caught were pretty small.
Saturday afternoon wasn't any better. Really slow with fish few, and far between. Again, most were not what I would keep if I were going to keep any. All in all from Thursday afternoon to Saturday at sunset we might have made two, four fish limits of good keepers.
Oh well, that's why it called fishing, not catching. There's always Thanksgiving weekend. But we already have the pressure on. We're already planning a fish fry for the Saturday night after Thanksgiving, and adding two more to our group with DIL's parents joining us that weekend.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
JoseyWales2
Super Ultra Member

Fast trip to the lake and was able to locate and catch some great Walleye in the lower end. They were fat and sassy and hit hard when we located them. Its not trout fishing but some nice 6 to 7 pound fish were boated.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseyWales2 View Post
Fast trip to the lake and was able to locate and catch some great Walleye in the lower end. They were fat and sassy and hit hard when we located them. Its not trout fishing but some nice 6 to 7 pound fish were boated.
On Taney?
Old 10-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #4
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 View Post
On Taney?
Now that's a fish I know how to fish for!!

Good Times in Branson
Old 10-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Now that's a fish I know how to fish for!!

Trav, I would have you catching trout the first time out. Maybe not the number, and size I get most often. But catching anyway.
Especially if you know how to catch walleye. Some of the very same techniques, and baits are used for trout on Taneycomo. That's why I am surprised that in over 20 years I haven't caught a single walleye, and don't know a guide, resort owner, or local who has caught them regularly either. Other than "spillway" fish that came from Table Rock during floods.
There are a few caught every year, but nothing making anybody believe there is a very large population in the lake. MDC has never stocked them in Taneycomo.
There certainly should be walleye in there. They are a native fish in the White River chain. But they must all congregate in the lower lake where not many guides go. Then they must spawn up the creeks down there instead of going all the way up the main lake because if they did that there would be very notable catches of Walleye in late Winter, and early Spring during spawning runs.
Largemouth bass are another native fish that don't get a lot of pressure on Taney. But guides, and locals do tell of catches of some very large Largemouth. They are also caught by others while fishing for trout. Especially from the Landing down to Powersite dam. Sometimes during the Winter there are also good catches of Crappie, another fish that has not been stocked. Mostly along the seawall at the Landing. The Crappie population increased to a notable, but still not prolific number after the two major floods probably because of fish surviving after coming over the dam from Table Rock.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #6
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Thanks rjw... I'll have to give it a try some time. I was surprised about the walleye... 6-7 lbs is a darned nice fish. I rarely caught them that large in Minnesota. I generally considered anything over 3 lbs worth cleaning and eating. Of course Minnesota lakes were so heavily fished (over-fished) for walleye in Minnesota that most never live long enough to get very large. Plus except for spring and fall they can be very difficult to catch, so some people keep anything they catch... even if they aren't much bigger than a perch. They seemed to have an obsession with catching a limit, keeping them no matter how small they were.

If very few people fish for walleye in Taneycomo, that would explain the ones that are there getting so large. Unless we were being told a fish story...

Good Times in Branson
Old 10-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #7
JoseyWales2
Super Ultra Member

Jig and a minnow, jig and a worm. Locate on fish finders, small pockets down on the bottom with holes some only as large as a truck hood. I don't fish for trout so don't catch trout. Duh. I fish for walleye. Its not a production type fishery and you are looking for fewer fish and have to convince them to bite. Not easy but not that hard once you get onto them.

You will not catch them just monkeying around or blind casting. THINK THINK THINK
Old 10-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #8
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
small pockets down on the bottom with holes some only as large as a truck hood
Not sandy bottom humps, and sunken islands? That was the usual spots I caught them on in Northern Minnesota natural lakes, and man made Lake of the Ozarks here in Missouri.
On the Mississippi it's eddie's behind the wing dams below the major lock and dams at Alton, Winfield, Clarksville, and Saverton. Mostly more sauger, the walleye's little cousin, than walleye on the river though.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #9
JoseyWales2
Super Ultra Member

I just report the news...I don't make it. Its what I said. The bottom changes with each new flow of high water. So it takes a lot of looking and a small amount of fishing. Holding right on top of them is hard with much current and they wont move 2 feet for a lure or bait. I got a few one time behind the bridge abutments at the landing bridge. but just a few. that was with high water flow.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #10
LaJoe
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 View Post
While regardless of the catch it's always a pleasure to be on the lake. This weekend was made an even more pleasure by taking board member LaJoe for some trout fishing Friday morning. My Son and I enjoyed having him along for a little fishing, and enjoyable conversation.
I only regret that the fishing wasn't better. We did catch some fish, maybe a dozen between the three of us, but not what I expected. Most of the ones we caught were pretty small.
Saturday afternoon wasn't any better. Really slow with fish few, and far between. Again, most were not what I would keep if I were going to keep any. All in all from Thursday afternoon to Saturday at sunset we might have made two, four fish limits of good keepers.
Oh well, that's why it called fishing, not catching. There's always Thanksgiving weekend. But we already have the pressure on. We're already planning a fish fry for the Saturday night after Thanksgiving, and adding two more to our group with DIL's parents joining us that weekend.

Just now saw this thread. Sorry not to reply sooner. It was a very enjoyable morning on the water with rjw and his son. Really enjoyed getting to be out on Taneycomo with someone who knew how to put us in the best fishing spots and keep us safe. And I really enjoyed getting to know two fellow Cardinals fans. The fishing was not real good, I agree, but it was just enough to keep us interested. I would estimate the number of fish caught a little higher than what rjw said (12). His son caught that many by himself. I caught four, and I think rjw caught about twice as many as I did, so figure it was 20 or more. I greatly appreciate having had the opportunity to go with you and your son, rjw. Love your boat!
Old 10-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #11
JoseyWales2
Super Ultra Member

What is the lake level and how much are they releasing off and on. Need good flow to fish the lower lake and I want to come down when the cool weather starts.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #12
LaJoe
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseyWales2 View Post
What is the lake level and how much are they releasing off and on. Need good flow to fish the lower lake and I want to come down when the cool weather starts.
It's in this link: http://www.ozarkanglers.com/lake-taneycomo/levels/
Old 10-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #13
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Not running much. Equivalent of 1/2 to 2 units for three to four hours in the evening starting a 6:00PM.

http://www.swpa.gov/generationschedules.aspx

Not sure if there is a published lake level at Powersite dam. Most attention is paid to Table Rock tailwater level. For wade fishing the upper area or if prop boats can get up there.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #14
JoseyWales2
Super Ultra Member

Needs a good flush to wash the silt out of the rocky holes and from behind the snags. Cooler weather will bring on a bite when the days are shorter for sure.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:47 PM   #15
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Even with a full 200MW (all 4 units) is there enough current to wash out silt in the wider, deeper "big" end of the lake?
I know when they are running hard I will often go down below Branson to get where the lake is wider, and much slower. I've never been all the way to Powersite, with or without power generation so I don't know what it's like.
I do know that after a prolonged period of high generation filling the lake behind PowerShot there will be a "bounce" when generation at Table Rock stops. The current in Taneycomo will actually go backwards for a few hours. Not all the way to Table Rock dam, but I have seen it as far up as Lilleys Landing.

Closed Thread