PDA

View Full Version : Roy Rogers Museum Opening

Jerm
06-20-2003, 10:50 AM
Unless I am mistaken today should be the day that the Museum opens. I can't wait to see it!!

:):)

Branson Mom
06-20-2003, 11:02 AM
I think you're right! There hasn't been much advertisement about it though. I haven't read anything in the paper or seen anything on the television. We drove by there the other day and it looks so nice!!! Unfortunately we didn't have the camera with us. I'm looking forward to seeing it as well.

scissortail
06-20-2003, 04:01 PM
I hope someone, who goes to the museum, will post about it soon! :D

I'm looking forward to it, too!!

Bransonfan
06-20-2003, 06:11 PM
Last weekend when we were there they were working on it. I wish it would have been open then. Watching Dale & Roy was the highlight of my Sat. morning when I was a child.

Grands
06-21-2003, 02:28 PM
June 21, 2003

Nostalgia, values draw fans
Roy Rogers & Dale Evans Museum opens in Branson

Trigger, the palomino horse Roy Rogers rode in 188 movies, is stuffed and on display at the new Roy Rogers & Dale Evans Museum in Branson. Also on display are Dale Evans' horse, Buttermilk, and Bullet the wonder dog.
Dean Curtis News-Leader

By Kathryn Buckstaff
News-Leader

Branson Roy "Dusty" Rogers Jr. broke down in tears several times Friday as he cut the ribbon of the Roy Rogers & Dale Evans Museum.
Many of the 500 or so spectators decked out in cowboy hats and Western shirts also dabbed their eyes as they packed around the front entrance of the 26,000-square-foot museum and theater.

That included Nancy Jakusz of Theodosia. Her family had been looking forward to the event for months, she said; her 14-year-old daughter, Amy, "woke up crying because she was so excited."

"I was up at 3:30 (a.m.)," Amy added.

But it's more than the memories of the Old West, country songs and the couple's wholesome image that brought fans to Branson on Friday. Roy Rogers' programming appears on Sky Angel, a Christian broadcasting satellite network. And the couple's religious and patriotic values fit well in Branson's fan base.

"A strong aspect for us was that (Roy and Dale) became Christians," said Mitch Jakusz, a minister and construction worker.

Roy Rogers and Dale Evans were well-known for what was viewed in the 1950s as an outspoken Christian conviction. After announcing they would include at least one religious song in their live performances, they nearly lost a contract to perform at the World Championship Rodeo in Madison Square Garden.

Later, they appeared on many Billy Graham Crusades, and Dale Evans hosted a long-running show on the Trinity Broadcasting Network.

Among the first-day visitors Friday were plenty of older fans who grew up watching the "King of the Cowboys" movies and TV shows.

Rayma Wilson, of Baxter Springs, Kan., said she wants to pass along the values taught by Roy Rogers and Dale Evans.

"When I was 5 years old, I had the whole cowboy outfit," Wilson said. Now she shows Roy Rogers' videos to her 4-year-old grandson, Nathan Thompson, whom she brought to the opening.

"I want him to know the history of things like this," Wilson said. "Now all he has is Power Rangers and all that."

Throughout the attractive museum, the moral message of the Roy Rogers and Dale Evans is evident. In the theater, Roy Rogers delivers his message in clips from old shows: "If everyone would learn to tell the truth, this would be a much better world," he says.

Those lessons may be even more important for today's generation of youngsters, said Dave Koch, the Internet administrator for the museum and Dusty Rogers' son-in-law. Plans are in the works for a new syndicated Roy Rogers and Dale Evans cartoon series, Koch said.

"Kids will see that you don't have to have 'shoot 'em up' and killing to have action," Koch said.

The museum provides "good family values, like all of Branson," said Mike Morris, of Bartlett, Tenn. The Morris family including Will, 4, and Lee, 13 planned their summer vacation around the museum opening, he said.

Dusty Rogers who bears a striking resemblance to his father said he wasn't surprised by the large crowd. He announced last year that he would move the contents of the museum from Victorville, Calif., to Branson. Evans, who visited Branson shortly before her death in 2001, told Dusty she favored the move, he said.

"Mom and Dad have such a huge fan base in the Midwest, I knew, if we moved here, they'd come," Rogers said.

Roy Rogers was a Midwesterner born Leonard Slye on Nov. 5, 1911, in Duck Run, Ohio. He died in 1998 at age 87. His first wife, Arlene, died a week after Dusty was born, leaving her husband with three small children. Roy and Dale lost their only biological child at age 2. Through adoptions, they raised nine children.

The museum displays are arranged on both sides of a horseshoe-shaped walk built to resemble an old Western town. Items include Roy's six-shooters, cowboy boots and costumes; hundreds of franchised products from lunchboxes to the Double R Bar Ranch play set; and vehicles including their Jeep Nellybelle and their white Bonneville with tooled-leather interior and steer horns on the grille.

The centerpiece behind glass is Trigger, the now-taxidermied palomino that Roy rode in 188 movies. The horse whose original name was Golden Cloud died in 1965 at age 33.

Also preserved and looking none the worse for wear are Dale's horse, Buttermilk, and Bullet the wonder dog, a German shepherd born in 1949.

Tour operators also are aware of the new attraction. Ann Schuster, a travel planner with Nationwide Travelers in Appleton, Wis., has already put the museum on the itinerary of seven tours to Branson she has planned in September, November and December, she said.

scissortail
06-21-2003, 02:59 PM
Wow, Grands! Great article!
Thanks for posting it! :D

jeep76
06-21-2003, 03:24 PM
anyone know the admission price? Special discounts for people from Iowa?

Suselit
06-21-2003, 03:46 PM
We arrived right before closing....6:00pm, so we only looked around the gift shop. Very nice place.

I think I remember that just the museum was $16.50 and the combo theatre show and museum was $20 something.

Jeep, Nelly Belle is out front so bring your camera.
Suselit