PDA

View Full Version : When's The Last Time You Had Cornbread....

Blaze2
02-28-2007, 04:28 PM
.........for Dinner?
2 weeks ago, but having it tonight! :D

How 'bout you?
Tell us & what kind was it?

CLUCKINGHEN
02-28-2007, 04:49 PM
last night, with purple hull peas & corn from our garden last year. Yum

PatiCake101
02-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Today at lunch with homemade chicken & dumplings and cole slaw....YUM!!

Critter
02-28-2007, 04:57 PM
News Year's Day with black eyed peas and hog jowl. We also had boiled cabbage too!

labpup89
02-28-2007, 05:22 PM
About a month ago with a warm bowl of chili.

Gabriella
02-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Well, two nights ago (with whole corn and diced halapenos mixed in) with homemade bean soup. Hadn't had any for a long time, but that other thread made me hungry for some. ;)

Critter
02-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Gabriella that sounds so good!

Cheesecake
02-28-2007, 06:37 PM
About 2 years ago....maybe more....

Too many carbs and it's no good without sugar....

So it's out of our menu...........

I know hubby misses his glass of milk with crumbled corn bread before bed.

But...corn is OFF THE MENU..forever.

timothyb38652
02-28-2007, 06:43 PM
I have some in the oven as we speak. I found a new mix at Walmart today (well new to our Walmart anyway) that's made by Martha White and is made with white meal. All you have to do is add milk so I'm giving it a shot. Maybe it will turn out to taste homeade. I took Mellie's advice and put some sugar in it and wanted to do as Cheesecake suggested and put a shot of rum in it but then I got home and no rum to be found :(

Blaze2
02-28-2007, 06:45 PM
YUM, for our dinner tonight; pork chops, mashed potatoes, green peas, & cornbread!
YES, it was yellow!

DH crumbled it up in a glass of milk. I never do!
My Grandparents used to eat it that way & so did I, but no more!
Somehow the thought of it makes me feel sick. I don't watch DH
crumble & eat his either! :yuck:

shis1
02-28-2007, 07:13 PM
It's been a couple of weeks since I made cornbread to eat with our chili. Hubby has to put maple syrup on his cornbread -----yuck! Anyone else have this habbit? My mom used to like white, milk gravy on hers ----- that's not so bad, I"ve tried it. But I prefer mine plain, not even any butter. If anything, I'll spread some jelly on it!

Branson Bluesman
02-28-2007, 08:36 PM
I took Mellie's advice and put some sugar in it and wanted to do as Cheesecake suggested and put a shot of rum in it but then I got home and no rum to be found :(
Try putting some honey in it next time instead of sugar...
It's the best you'll ever eat... :cool:

Cheesecake
02-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Believe it or not, Atkin's Cornbread Mix (comes in one batch packages) is really pretty good. It is sweet and kind of reminds me of Jiffy.

Now that I'm eating "No Flour~No Sugar" I can have ground corn but not corn flour. I'm going to try a recipe from the other thread with cornmeal only...I'll have to add some Sugar~Twin. :D

Hubby has diabetes type 2....
He eats only whole wheat..........gave up corn anything...plays with his numbers.:(

And he said if he cain't have it the way he likes he, he'll pass.

And, I don't care that much for it.

But thanks for that info...I have someone I'm going to tell .... :D:D:D He is dieting but loves corn bread...........:D

FloozieLoozie
02-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Yes, I love butter and syrup with yellow cornbread....soooo good!

Floozie

Double Mom
02-28-2007, 09:40 PM
I can't even remember the last time I had cornbread...maybe a couple of years ago. We don't eat a lot of cornbread around here.

MRC 81's Mom
02-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Had mexican cornbread last night. I love regular cornbread and buttermilk.

linron
02-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Couple nights ago at the Dixie Cafe, with a bowl of soup. They serve yellow corn bread with jalapenos, not as good as home made but pretty darn good!

And on the subject of corn bread, at Thanksgiving, IMO dressing isn't dressing unless it's cornbread dressing! :D

Blaze2
03-01-2007, 10:18 AM
I can't even remember the last time I had cornbread...maybe a couple of years ago. We don't eat a lot of cornbread around here.

DM, does this mean yore a yank? Well, that's Ok have a
piece of conebread! :D Send me your address, I'll send you some pks,
& get that family ta eatin' cornbread!!! No cornbread!!! :eek:
It'll give ya some more grit too! :D

GaryMo2
03-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Blaze; This is my first attempt to post so here goes. We have cornbread ever so often and the family wants light and a bit sweet cornbread. My wife uses Jiffy corn bread mix; 1 box and Jiff yellow cake mix 1 box. Bluejay likes it. So it must be good. Add ingredients as called for on the back of each box. Bake in and iron skillet for 50 minutes or so. Goes great in milk.

Blaze2
03-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Blaze; This is my first attempt to post so here goes. We have cornbread ever so often and the family wants light and a bit sweet cornbread. My wife uses Jiffy corn bread mix; 1 box and Jiff yellow cake mix 1 box. Bluejay likes it. So it must be good. Add ingredients as called for on the back of each box. Bake in and iron skillet for 50 minutes or so. Goes great in milk.

So you're giving us your recipe of mixing the two together, right?
.....might have something there! Who is Bluejay, your bird or your Dog?
Thanks for posting and WELCOME! :D
Come back soon, ya hear! :)

Double Mom
03-01-2007, 05:19 PM
DM, does this mean yore a yank? Well, that's Ok have a
piece of conebread! :D Send me your address, I'll send you some pks,
& get that family ta eatin' cornbread!!! No cornbread!!! :eek:
It'll give ya some more grit too! :D
I guess we're Yanks, I don't know any of my friends up here that eat corn bread. I think I've eaten it maybe 4 times in my whole life. I got a recipe from someone on the board a couple of years ago, it was very good, but we just don't eat a lot of it.

Blaze2
03-01-2007, 05:22 PM
I guess we're Yanks, I don't know any of my friends up here that eat corn bread. I think I've eaten it maybe 4 times in my whole life. I got a recipe from someone on the board a couple of years ago, it was very good, but we just don't eat a lot of it.

Gurl, come on down here & we'll cook up a pot of Pinto beans & make
a BIG ole pan of Cornbread! Ya'll don't know what you're missin'!!! :D

Blue Jay
03-01-2007, 05:30 PM

Well, I'll be dernd, my DAD finally posted! And of all things, about CORNBREAD! Blaze, BlueJay would be me (his daughter).
This is the guy we welcomed a few months ago and he has never posted, but reads regularly!
*Oh and by the way - this cornbread is YUMMY! I think maybe they served this type in the old Tippins restaurant in KC? You do just dump in the boxes -1 of the cornbread mix and 1 yellow cake mix (both Jiffy) and the ingredients listed on each box.

Double Mom
03-01-2007, 05:44 PM
a BIG ole pan of Cornbread! Ya'll don't know what you're missin'!!! :DHey, I'll come down for the cornbread, but I'll pass on the beans:yuck:

timothyb38652
03-01-2007, 06:18 PM
a BIG ole pan of Cornbread! Ya'll don't know what you're missin'!!! :D

Just make sure you stop at a drugstore and pick up some GasX on the way down. If you've never had cornbread and pintos together before..................

Blaze2
03-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Well, I'll be dernd, my DAD finally posted! And of all things, about CORNBREAD! Blaze, BlueJay would be me (his daughter).
This is the guy we welcomed a few months ago and he has never posted, but reads regularly!
*Oh and by the way - this cornbread is YUMMY! I think maybe they served this type in the old Tippins restaurant in KC? You do just dump in the boxes -1 of the cornbread mix and 1 yellow cake mix (both Jiffy) and the ingredients listed on each box.

This Board not only brings news, cornbread & fun, it brings families together! :D