PDA

View Full Version : Just returned

butterflyaway
08-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Hi: My husband and I just got back from Eureka Springs and it was very slow. Many vacancies in all the lodgings. Wanted to tell all those that are going to Eureka Springs to check on The Texans who had been in Branson about 5 years ago. At that time, it was a quartet, but now it is Sam, his wife Brenda, and their son Curtis. They do have a lady (sorry, don't remember her name) that plays keyboard for them and sings with them sometimes. Brenda is the comedian of the group and does a wonderful job. They are at Mountain Hoedown Theater. They are there Tues - Sat. at 10:0 And then they have a Tues. eve. show, with other guests. Not sure what time that is. Please check them out, I know you won't be disappointed.

Butterfly

Suselit
08-12-2006, 04:43 AM
Thanks for letting us know about how Eureka Springs in right now.
I imagine that as soon as the leaves begin to turn, it gets busy there.
That's when I like to visit.:)

Stvshll
08-12-2006, 09:01 AM
Thanks Butterfly. I was wondering when you were here? A lot of availability makes for low rates in town which a lot of people are starting to take advantage of, it sounds like you did.

Many enjoy the slowness of town. In other posts I have commented this is what attracts many and encourages people to be able to focus on the beauty and the surroundings. I hope you got downtown and Pine Mountain Village to do some shopping. We have some of the most unique shops in this part of the country.

It is good to hear about The Texans as I have not had the opportunity to see or hear them. Mike Bishop that runs the Pine MOuntain Jamboree als o played in Branson several years ago.

I am glad you came to town and it sounds like you had a pretty good time and thanks for the trip report.

Blaze2
08-12-2006, 11:14 AM
It would be great to know all the TEXAN Group were there.
Sammy's Wife & Son were not a part of the Texans singing group.
Just one doesn't make me want to go, at least, not yet!
Congratulations to Sammy, good to know he has a show!
We thoroughly enjoyed The Texans when they were together in Branson.

The highlight was the Steel Guitar Player, Arnie Archer, who also played
the Kettle Drums on the second half & had a side splittin' skit & story of his wife, Hester Sue!!!
A talented, funny man, whom we all miss on the Branson Stage, as he passed a few years ago.

butterflyaway
08-12-2006, 10:02 PM
We've known The Texans for about 5 years now and have never seen a steel drum player and don't know who Arnie Archer or Hester Sue are. They must have been several years ago. When we first saw them it was Sam Rae and four other men. One of them was Cecil, the bass singer who was also with the Brashlers and now I believe is at Silver Dollar City. They played at the Dogwood Motel - Dogwood Theater. At Eureka Springs we did go to the shops and looked around. Love the quaintness of the town. I'm sure we'll be back again - would love to try and B & B.

Butterfly

deb_803
08-13-2006, 10:27 PM
I remember the Texans from YEARS ago in Branson. There was a guy that walked on stilts before the show. My kids were really young then and loved him. I remember the kettle drums and Arnie. They were really a good group back then. I had wondered where they were. I'd like the originals though!

Didn't Mike Bishop have a show in Harrison at one time? Seems like I remember him there.

Blaze2
08-15-2006, 04:56 PM
We've known The Texans for about 5 years now and have never seen a steel drum player and don't know who Arnie Archer or Hester Sue are. They must have been several years ago. When we first saw them it was Sam Rae and four other men. One of them was Cecil, the bass singer who was also with the Brashlers and now I believe is at Silver Dollar City. They played at the Dogwood Motel - Dogwood Theater. At Eureka Springs we did go to the shops and looked around. Love the quaintness of the town. I'm sure we'll be back again - would love to try and B & B.

Butterfly
Yes, it was years ago, in the lalte 1980's.
J.D. was the tall guy in stilts before the shows.
Arnie was a band member, played the steel guitar & kettle drums.
After the intermission he changed clothes, took oout his false teeth.
The Texans sang "I Heard It Through The Grapevine", which was
hysterical the way all of them were dressed!
Afterward, Arnie did his skit & talked about his Wife, Hester Sue,
then played the steel drums. It was a 'laugh 'til you cry' time! :D