PDA

View Full Version : Need Ideas for a Trip

kns
07-28-2006, 10:36 PM
I am trying to help my mom plan a trip to Eureka Springs. I've already gotten some advice on lodging, but now I need to find out what are some interesting things to do there. I think they are going to go to the Passion Play, and possibly go into Branson one day to see a show, but other than that, what would be something good for them to do? Are there any special places to eat? Thanks for all the help.
Kris

onlemee
07-29-2006, 07:29 AM
One of my favorite places to see in Eureka Springs is the Queen Anne's Mansion and the adjoining bird house, I forget the name . Both are very old homes decorated in the same era they were built and are just beautiful. It is self toured, go at your own pace. The birds are also housed in a beautiful house of the same era, all in glass cages and so gorgeous..Everyone should see these once at least! Also, there are rooms to rent at night in the Mansion. Never did that but maybe someday.

Suselit
07-29-2006, 07:40 AM
I would recommend taking the Tram Tour. It's sort of Eureka Springs version of The Ducks.
If you have never been to ES before it really gives you the history, and shows to where things are.

It's located where the Trolley are. A day's pass on the Trolleys is a good value.
Or just get a free map and Tourist booklets there.
http://www.eurekatrolley.org

leeannwriter
07-29-2006, 08:18 AM
Take time to see the Crescent Hotel. The trolley trams will take you there - it's one of the stops. This is the hotel reputed to be haunted but whether or not you believe in ghosts, it's worth a visit. It's a beautiful Victorian era hotel with a rather intriguing history. Non-guests can go up to the fourth floor to walk on an observation balcony and of course anyone can dine in the restaurant. They also offer ghost tours for a small fee for those who are interested.

Behind the Crescent - you can get there down a flight of stairs after walking through the gardens - is St. Elizabeth's Catholic Church, once featured in Ripley's Believe It Or Not because it's entered through the bell tower.

All the shops downtown are interesting too - a lot of variety and interesting things.

There is also an old steam train that departs from the depot and goes for a short ride. They also do a dinner train on weekends. It is not as well restored as the Branson Scenic Railway or as long a ride but it's also cheaper and worth it for any train enthusiasts (like me!!).

Blaze2
07-29-2006, 08:53 AM
For a night of fun & music, see:
http://www.pinemountainjamboree.com/index.html

.....and don't forget St. Elisabeth's Catholic Church

http://www.eurekasprings.com/attractions/

Stvshll
07-29-2006, 09:05 AM
There are many things that I could suggest for you and your Mom to do. are you coming during the week or the weekend because there are some very special things coming up on some weekends in August. Are you coming in August?

You have already gotten some very good suggestions. When my mother was here she loved going to the Crescent Hotel for either brunch or dinners (She was always to busy to go there for lunch.) The Queen Anne Mansion and the Bird House are privately owned and no longer open to the public.(I mentioned on another post people were buying the B&B's and turning them into private homes, this is an example of that.) The Rosalie House is still open to the public and you will love to see this beautiful old home (Michelle is a wonderful Hostess, you Mom will enjoy her.)

First consider a couple of other places to stay. Edelweiss Inn (800-970-2529) and the Victorian Village Inn (1-800-451-1511) are very close to Pine Mountain Village. I would suggest you going to the Pine Mountain Jamboree in Pine Mountain Village. Mike Bishop that was in Branson at one time is now running that show and it is great. Tell them that Steve Shell sent you and you might get some discount tickets. Pine Mountain Village is a fun place to do some shopping and you won't have to walk up and down hills to do it.

Go downtown to do some of your shopping since the most unique shops are downtown. I dropped my Mom off at the top of Springs Street so as she shopped she would be walking down rather than up (That meant I parked down and got to walk up... I need to take off a few pounds.)

It is also worth the time to see ThornCrown Chapel it is very beautiful. Quigley Castle is an interesting place to see as well as Turpentine Creek Big Cat Preserve. War Eagle Mill is about a 40 minute drive and is worth the time to see, have lunch and pick up some of their stone ground flour and many other wonderful items for the kitchen.

There is much more but I hope this has been a help. Let me know if you need any other information and I am sure there will be others that have info for you.

Thanks

Stvshll
07-29-2006, 11:55 AM
I forgot to mention that there is a wonderfrul carriage ride in downtown Eureka that would be great to go on while you are there.

Let us know how everything turns out.

kns
07-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks to everyone for the great ideas. I'm not actually going with my mom, she's taking a friend there for a few days. I'm just helping her plan the trip. I will be sure to pass this information on to her. Thanks again to everyone.
Kris