PDA

View Full Version : Stupid watermelon question

gbranmtns
06-01-2006, 07:23 AM
:shoot: Hubby put a watermelon in the freezer to get it cold fast and left it in too long. :duh: How do you thaw out a frozen watermelon without ruining it? Odd I know. Any help will be appreciated.

PUMPKIN
06-01-2006, 08:11 AM
:p GINA I THINK I WOULD PUT IT IN A PAN LIKE YOU DO A TURKEY AND PUT IT IN YOUR REF. FOR A DAY OR SO,THEN CUT IT TO SEE IF IT LOOKS OK.:D

Cheesecake
06-01-2006, 08:46 AM
Punch it full of holes with an ice pick.
Fill holes with vodka or rum or tequila...put straws in holes....

Probably not for everyone here...lemme find something else...

Frozen Watermelon Slush
http://magazines.ivillage.com/i/t.gif

A refreshing, colorful drink for those dog days of summer. If you have extra watermelon, you can freeze it for more slushes. Buy a copy of Good Housekeeping Blend It!: 150 Sensational Recipes to Make in Your Blender -- Frappes, Smoothies, Soups, Pancakes, Frozen Cocktails and More (http://barnesandnoble.bfast.com/booklink/click?sourceid=238036&ISBN=1588162672).

Yields: 3 1/2 cups or 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
</SPAN>

http://a820.g.akamai.net/f/820/822/1d/i.ivillage.com/recipefinder/headers/rfx3_recipe.gif
http://a820.g.akamai.net/f/820/822/1d/i.ivillage.com/recipefinder/headers/bullet.gif 3 cups cubed seedless watermelon
http://a820.g.akamai.net/f/820/822/1d/i.ivillage.com/recipefinder/headers/bullet.gif 1 cup frozen strawberries
http://a820.g.akamai.net/f/820/822/1d/i.ivillage.com/recipefinder/headers/bullet.gif 2 scoops lemon sorbet
http://a820.g.akamai.net/f/820/822/1d/i.ivillage.com/recipefinder/headers/bullet.gif 1/4 cup pineapple juice, chilled
http://a820.g.akamai.net/f/820/822/1d/i.ivillage.com/recipefinder/headers/bullet.gif 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

http://a820.g.akamai.net/f/820/822/1d/i.ivillage.com/recipefinder/headers/rfx4_recipe.gif
In blender, combine watermelon, strawberries, sorbet, pineapple juice, and lime juice and blend until mixture is smooth. Pour into 4 glasses.

http://a820.g.akamai.net/f/820/822/1d/i.ivillage.com/recipefinder/headers/rfx5_recipe.gif
Based on individual serving.
Calories: 87
Total Fat: 0 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 7 mg
Carbohydrates: 22 g
Protein: 1 g

Source for Recipe (http://magazines.ivillage.com/goodhousekeeping/recipefinder/recipe/0,,628339,00.html)

When you can cut the melon, do...scoop it into bowls like ice cream and eat right away....it might, otherwise, look a bit weathered.....but it should taste good.

Blaze2
06-01-2006, 08:51 AM
[QUOTE=Cheesecake]Punch it full of holes with an ice pick.

Probably not for everyone here...lemme find something else...

Frozen Watermelon Slush

A refreshing, colorful drink for those dog days of summer. If you have extra watermelon, you can freeze it for more slushes. Buy a copy of Good Housekeeping Blend It!: 150 Sensational Recipes to Make in Your Blender -- Frappes, Smoothies, Soups, Pancakes, Frozen Cocktails and More (http://barnesandnoble.bfast.com/booklink/click?sourceid=238036&ISBN=1588162672).

Yields: 3 1/2 cups or 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes

My DH & I have just agreed this sounds like the best idea! :D :D
Otherwise I would pitch it out! Do you have any farm animals?
They will love it! Frozen watermelon is just not very tasty! :yuck:

Cheesecake
06-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Actually Frozen Watermelon prepared properly is delicious.......

I have seen it used in high end restaurants, as the ICE CUBES IN LEMONADE.....and in FrouFrou Drinks with little Umbrellas in Hawaii..........yum...along with pineapple on the toothpick with a twist of lime..............

If you cut watermelon in cubes, and put in air tight bags...you can freeze for drinks.

Take your frozen watermelon and put in your blender and do smoothies...laced with alcohol for some, and without for others.

Never under estimate a Watermelon Smoothie..........it is refreshing.

Just remember your packaging keeps the flavor in, and the ''freezer burn off''.

And if you sqeeze lemon on your watermelon, it helps preserve its freshness...........and makes the combined flav a real sensation...a real pucker up.

A few chunks of watermelon and some red grapes and some almond slivers, make a great garnish for a tossed veggie salad, when you are using a light vinegrette dressing.

Blaze2
06-01-2006, 09:15 AM
That's the key, freezer bags, to keep it from the mushing stage!
I love watermelon! .....just love it, will eat until I'm almost too
full to walk! I can out eat any chicken taking it down to the rind! :D
P.S. I just don't do this right before bedtime, know what I mean?:confused:

OkieAnon
06-01-2006, 09:29 AM
Best Watermelon Reciepe;

Hot July Day
put watermelon in cold stock tank
leave it there while you spend the day bucking 60+ lb bales of hay on to the back of an old pk bed
about sundown pull watermelon from stock tank
everyone take out old rusty pocket knives that no one knows where they've been use or on what
dig in to watermelon with dirty sweaty hands and enjoy.

Blaze2
06-01-2006, 09:51 AM
Best Watermelon Reciepe;

Hot July Day
put watermelon in cold stock tank
leave it there while you spend the day bucking 60+ lb bales of hay on to the back of an old pk bed
about sundown pull watermelon from stock tank
everyone take out old rusty pocket knives that no one knows where they've been use or on what
dig in to watermelon with dirty sweaty hands and enjoy.

.....just what my DH would say! :D

ggh
06-01-2006, 10:42 AM
It's even better when the watermelon is sitting on top of a case or two of good beer - something about that hot day's work. I think the watermelon flavors the beer ;), and the beer lends it's flavor to the watermelon, :D and the hot sweaty day of bucking hay seems to fade (similar to childbirth after narcotics :)). It makes the next hay day seem less painful.

Cheesecake
06-01-2006, 10:52 AM
also Okie's discription, abeit short, regarding the ''knife''............is so on target ;)

I remember the cold watermelon in fish nets in a river... ;) yummmm...

But the hay harvest watermelons brings back so many fun stuff when my Sons were teenagers.............

We always had that watermelon patch out in the woods, growing from an old dead tree(mulch)....it was the ''secret'' garden.......lol. We grew some basketball sized watermelons one year...that were so sweet..........and very green on the outside........almost black.

The boys would punch a hole in the rind with their fist...pull it apart and stick their face in there and eat like "BerthaButt'' our pink hog. I was afraid they would suffocate....all the boys in the hay crew would have a contest as to who could eat the melon fastest without a knife and fork.......OR HANDS............face first. roflol.........

Of course, I didnt participate....except.........in the beer. :D:D:D

That is the best cold beer in the world.......out in the midst of the ticks, the chiggars and the hay..............with all those favorite silly people around.

Of course the beer made us all silly and made the hay harvest bearable.....

Now :eek: I think...was that dangerous?

Now Im going to town and buy a watermelon..........tummy ache for supper.:duh:

Blaze2
06-01-2006, 11:13 AM
#1 - Ya'll are crackin' me up!
#2 - I'm starving for a watermelon!
#3 - Going to go purchase one! :D

OkieAnon
06-01-2006, 11:18 AM
now we sit in an a/c pk with hyd hay spikes.... not that I miss those little bales any, some years there was me, my dad and an uncle.... I started out as a kid pushing those bales off the pk, but as I got stronger, they got older and my work increased, sometimes we'd have 3000++ of them to haul in. what I hated was the sowed feed put up into bales, dang that stuff was itchy, get in your nose, eyes, ears, down your shirt.

i've got about 30 hills of watermelons planted... with the drought i'm not sure how they'll do this year, probably what we get will be mid August, Black Diamond and Crimson Sweet.

We used to have these big family reunions and one of the favorite topics was when the uncles would all start talking about raiding the neighbors watermelon patches back in the 40's this seemed to be a form of entertainment, crawling thru stickers, mud and brush, just to swipe someones watermelon and hope they didn't pepper you with a shotgun.

Blaze2
06-01-2006, 11:31 AM
now we sit in an a/c pk with hyd hay spikes.... not that I miss those little bales any, some years there was me, my dad and an uncle.... I started out as a kid pushing those bales off the pk, but as I got stronger, they got older and my work increased, sometimes we'd have 3000++ of them to haul in. what I hated was the sowed feed put up into bales, dang that stuff was itchy, get in your nose, eyes, ears, down your shirt.

i've got about 30 hills of watermelons planted... with the drought i'm not sure how they'll do this year, probably what we get will be mid August, Black Diamond and Crimson Sweet.

We used to have these big family reunions and one of the favorite topics was when the uncles would all start talking about raiding the neighbors watermelon patches back in the 40's this seemed to be a form of entertainment, crawling thru stickers, mud and brush, just to swipe someones watermelon and hope they didn't pepper you with a shotgun.

.......now where is it you live? I'm gonna talk my DH into driving to your place with our PU truck and making a haul in August! :D

http://www.swetka.net/thistlefleet/images/2005CrescentDay/wm15-more_feasting_small.jpghttp://www.tagnet.org/hecrane/images/Watermelon.jpg
...............hehehe, just found this poem on the web: :D

Watermelon: by A Californian!

I've been crying I've been yelling
My heart is longing for a feast

Just a good old Texas melon
That they raise away back east

It surely must be in the soil
No other melon tastes so sweet

No other melon's up to hoyle
No other melon has her beat

That mealy red and mellow flesh
That luscious Texas melon twang

Just let me get my teeth enmesh
And other melons can go hang.

A ribbon winner and a prize
Yes Texas needs a melon flag

It leads them all in taste and size
And Texas doesn't have to brag.

I live in California, fine
But you give me one good swallow

And Texas hooks me on her line
That melon I will gladly follow

A reminiscence if you please
But what pleasure can be his

How grateful is the one who sees
Yes, Oh, how sweet the memory is!

OkieAnon
06-01-2006, 01:30 PM
where do you live

my watermelon patch? i'm only telling those who agree to help dip buckets of water out of the tank to keep em alive.... and that's barely working this year, I ain't holding my breath on getting much this year, been planted a month now and haven't even started to vine out yet.

Blaze2
06-01-2006, 03:11 PM
my watermelon patch? i'm only telling those who agree to help dip buckets of water out of the tank to keep em alive.... and that's barely working this year, I ain't holding my breath on getting much this year, been planted a month now and haven't even started to vine out yet.

Can I just do a rain dance instead?
http://www.thesolutionsite.com/lesson/14051/rain_dance.gif
See, it worked! :D

VBeason
06-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Punch it full of holes with an ice pick.

I've got the straws and with the day I'm having -- I'M THERE!!!!!!!!!

Vickie

Sandypants
06-01-2006, 05:19 PM
As I read these threads about Watermelon, I have a story about watermelon.
When our son Kraig was about 2, we went to visit my aunt and she was cutting up some watermelon and gave a small slice to Kraig and put him in the hi chair and her & I went into the other room. Soon we hear Kraig say "All Done", well he really was all done, he ate the rind and all. Kraig is now 40 and the father of 3 girls and says " Eating is what I do best" I still think about this whenever he eats watermelon........

kbradleyar
07-10-2006, 11:52 AM
Ask Gallagher, he is in Branson now.

He should know all about Watermellons.

Blaze2
07-10-2006, 12:37 PM

Are your watermelons ripe now? :D

Critter
04-21-2009, 06:28 AM
I think I am the only one in the family that eats a watermelon with a fork.

You know how people thump on it and can tell when one is ripe? I can thump away and they all seem the same to me.:o Is there another way to tell when one is ripe?

I hope you get yours thawed out soon!!!:D

pamlet
04-21-2009, 08:04 AM
Critter - how did you find a thread from almost three years ago?!? Laugh ...

FUN thread though...

Isn't if funny how watermelon evokes stories in people? I THINK because years ago it was more of a treat ... and was just good summer eating ..

Every 4th of July my parents would bring a GIANT one down to the corner on our block ... we'd sit in the evening on the loading dock at the factory and watch fireworks from the little suburb nearby .

At our dog obedience club picnic they always had the kid watermelons and the "grown up" watermelons... and the "grown ups" watched the kids like hawks so we didn't get into them ... (Usually my Mom and Dad who did NOT drink laugh) ... Then we got to watch the "tradition" of the "grown ups" tossing each other in the pool ... always AFTER eating the "special" watermelon ... :confused: :D

One last watermelon story - when I was preggers w/my first son we lived in a teeennnyy tinnnnyyy tin can of an old "mobile home" on 10 acres in North Carolina ... it had a window unit air conditioner - but it was placed weird and didn't cool very well .... we would go visit my SIL at her apartment and swim and if it was very hot spend the night ... well one evening the 3 of us ate about a 1/2 slice apiece ( a sensible portion ) of a watermelon ... a HUGE one ... the next morning I woke up CRAVING this watermelon and at rest of the it ... ALL of it ... a few hour later after driving back to our little tin can I got sick - it was the ONLY time during that pregnancy I got sick .. 25 years later my son STILL HATES watermelon ... :eek: Weird huh?

ggh
04-21-2009, 08:32 AM
I think I am the only one in the family that eats a watermelon with a fork.

You know how people thump on it and can tell when one is ripe? I can thump away and they all seem the same to me.:o Is there another way to tell when one is ripe?

I hope you get yours thawed out soon!!!:D

It should be thawed by now. :D:D:D

Pamet - I have no doubt that my Mom purchases 2 watermelon at a time, one she shares with the rest of us, the other she eats herself - when I was home, I can remember cutting some BIG melons in half, or 1/4ths' and eating at least half the water melon myself - LOVE melon!

You don't need a fork to eat melon - use your teeth. :p;)

pamlet
04-21-2009, 08:43 AM
I LOVE it sprinkled w/salt ...

and spitting seeds ....

and tossing the rinds into the woods .. :eek:

MAN - now I've gotta pick one up ... they're showing up in the markets ... no roadside trucks I've seen yet though - we do get them earlier I think because we're so far south ...

Crazy4Branson
04-21-2009, 11:44 AM
This thread was so interesting/fun to read..... Anyone here have any connection to the Hope, Arkansas area & their watermelon fest? I drove through that area about 3 years ago @ watermelon time & wanted so badly to purchase a 'melon, but, it would have spoiled by the time I could get it home to IA. I keep thinking I'll get back to that area @ 'melon time....

So-o-o "gbranmtns" what happened to your 'melon?

Critter
04-21-2009, 04:43 PM
HEY!!!! Whoever posted before me....that was not funny!:duh: This morning I was looking to see what was new on here from last night and I looked down on the recipe thread and this was on here. I wish I could remember who was before me........I am sure that person knows though........:banghead: They probably noticed how old this thread was after I posted and deleted theirs.....

In case you think I am mad,,,,,I am not,,,,,just feel silly.:o Maybe I am a natural blonde underneath my brown hair.:p

StarsRUs
04-21-2009, 07:25 PM
HEY!!!! Whoever posted before me....that was not funny!:duh: This morning I was looking to see what was new on here from last night and I looked down on the recipe thread and this was on here. I wish I could remember who was before me........I am sure that person knows though........:banghead: They probably noticed how old this thread was after I posted and deleted theirs.....

In case you think I am mad,,,,,I am not,,,,,just feel silly.:o Maybe I am a natural blonde underneath my brown hair.:p

Don't feel silly....it's a cool thread, even if it is a previous one!! :thumbsup:

We LOVE Watermelon! With salt for me, and I agree, who needs a fork or spoon???

We grow two varieties and usually end up ruining one or two...by trying to pick them a little too soon....cuz we get so excited.

I also love to make Watermelon Mint Sorbet!! DE-lious. :D

shis1
04-21-2009, 07:40 PM
Don't feel silly....it's a cool thread, even if it is a previous one!! :thumbsup:

We LOVE Watermelon! With salt for me, and I agree, who needs a fork or spoon???

We grow two varieties and usually end up ruining one or two...by trying to pick them a little too soon....cuz we get so excited.

I also love to make Watermelon Mint Sorbet!! DE-lious. :D

So what 2 varieties do you like to grow? Last year we had the sweetest melons we've ever had, but no idea what variety they were.:banghead: I promise myself every year that I'm gonna start keep a journal of 'when and what' we planted. :faint:

Critter
04-21-2009, 08:11 PM
If you don't eat it with a fork you can get all messy and sticky. I also like to pick the seeds out. Don't like to spit a seed out.:yuck:

lucyann
04-21-2009, 09:20 PM
If you don't eat it with a fork you can get all messy and sticky. I also like to pick the seeds out. Don't like to spit a seed out.:yuck:

Shall we call you Miss La-Te-Da?? ;)

Critter
04-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Shall we call you Miss La-Te-Da?? ;)

Nooooo...I have just always been picky about keeping clean. All my cousins could tell you how I was growing up.:p

Tried making mud pies as a kid. Wanted to see if I would like it.....I didn't.....lol

StarsRUs
04-23-2009, 06:47 AM
So what 2 varieties do you like to grow? Last year we had the sweetest melons we've ever had, but no idea what variety they were.:banghead: I promise myself every year that I'm gonna start keep a journal of 'when and what' we planted. :faint:

Sorry Shis, just saw this.

We plant Crimson Sweet and Black Diamond. This year I want to try some Sugar Babies too.

We don't care for the seedless, or pink flesh or yellow flesh watermelons. We don't think they taste nearly as good and sweet as the old fashion varieties. Might be phycological....BUT...

I save seeds every year from them, (well, actually from everything we plant)

Good Luck, nothing better than homegrown watermelon!! :thumbsup:

If you don't eat it with a fork you can get all messy and sticky. I also like to pick the seeds out. Don't like to spit a seed out.

:eek::eek: We're gonna have ta cure ya of that Critter!

Anyone for a WATERMELON PARTY!!! ;)