PDA

View Full Version : Easter Food Recipes, Please Post Your Favorite!

Blaze2
04-13-2006, 09:13 AM
... sounds yuuuummmmy......:applause:
Knowing what GREAT cooks Southern women are, post your favorites please!

Tropical Ham with Fruit Glaze
Brought to you early...Share a tropical treat with your family this Easter.

This recipe was featured in the January 2003 issue of Texas Monthly’s
“On The Road.” With the compliments of Chef-owner John Eschenfelder of Homestead on the 19th, Huntsville

Glaze

6 ounces Kerrs canned mango nectar
2 ounces pineapple juice
2 ounces orange juice concentrate (not diluted)
2 ounces apple juice concentrate (not diluted)
4 ounces brown mustard
6 cups Brown Sugar (lightly packed)
1/2 teaspoon Allspice
10-pound precooked ham (we used a Hickory-smoked, spiral cut ham)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together the glaze ingredients (makes enough to glaze a 12-pound ham). Score the ham 1/4 inch deep. Place a large piece of aluminum foil in the bottom of a heavy pan, put the ham in it, and fold the foil loosely around it to make a nest.

Thoroughly glaze the ham with fruit mixture. Put ham in the oven until heated all the way through, approximately 2 hours for a 10-pound ham, glazing with the accumulated fruit juices every 15 to 20 minutes

engel
04-13-2006, 11:21 AM
This is of those holiday "make it or you die" recipes--in my family forever. Used to be Thanksgiving & Christmas & now is any holiday or get-together.

engel
Super Ultra Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 lg. can chunk pineapple 1/2 of 10.5 oz bag mini-marshmallows
3 jumbo navel oranges 1/2 c. chopped pecans
3 lg Red Delicious apples med. size bunch red seedless grages

Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Peel & chop oranges & apples (I leave some red on apples for color) making sure to stir often so apples won't turn brown. Halve grapes & add to bowl. Stir in marshmallows & nuts.

Dressing:
2 eggs juice of 1 lemon or ReaLemon equivilent
1 & 1/2 c. sugar 4 tbsp. pineapple juice

Beat eggs well in heavy saucepan. Add sugar & mix well. Stir in pineapple & lemon juice. Cook over med. heat, stirring till mixture boils. Cook till thickened. Let cool for a while, pouring over fruits while still lukewarm. Let stand an hour or two. Stir before serving. I usually make this a day ahead of time & refrigerate. This recipe was cut out of a newspaper by my grandmother probably 100 yrs. ago, and my not making it for Thanksgiving & Christmas is a motive for murder. I always have to at least double it, so there will be enough for the kids to take some home with them. (I meant stir in pineapple JUICE. Thought I'd make that clear, since, when I started cooking, I took everything literally & would have stirred the PINEAPPLE into the dressing instead of the bowl of fruit. Yes, I was that dumb!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by engel : 11-27-2005 at 07:05 PM. Reason: clear up

Blaze2
04-13-2006, 12:42 PM
.....my Mother used to make this every Easter.
Now she's in a Nursing Home and confused about what day it is,
didn't know today is my birthday even. Moms don't forget our birthdays, whatever age we are! We're going to the Easter Party
with her in about 30 minutes. Thinking about the Mom that used
to be is making me sad, so I'll post the Easter Bunny Cake......
....if I can see to post it...........and Tradition goes on.......

http://www.geocities.com/mpas1989/bunny_cake.jpg

http://www.crisco.com/scripts/display_recipe.asp?recipe_nbr=40397

PatiCake101
04-13-2006, 01:36 PM
My Mom also makes that cake every Easter...actually, she works in home health, and makes several...one for the grandkids, and one for each of her patients. She's 80, and still making those "little bunnies"! :)

Cheesecake
04-13-2006, 01:36 PM
engel thanks for bringing that recipe back........Im printing this time.

My Grandmother used to make a salad for those that didnt like ham and sweet taters......she was a Northern cook.........we had some folks in my family that were really picky.........like Uncle Mike, who was raised in an Italian home with pasta ....... and when he came to the Finnish/Frence/Irish/English family table........NOTHING looked good. Then there were some of the cousins who had never learned to eat anything but Tuna in the can.

So Meema used to fix.......
Shell Macaroni
Green onions chopped teeeeeny
Celery chopped teeeeeeeeeeeny
Can of drained early June peas
Can of drained Tuna that was in oil
Salt and Pepper
and lots of MAYONAISE......

Very cold.......AND THE PICKY PEOPLE WERE NUTS OVER THAT as were the rest of us..........very few ingredients, but after sitting til its cool....the mingling of the flavors is yummy.

One time she put in Green food coloring and spread it out on a platter and set the colored (peeled) hard boiled eggs on the shells.

Im not sure anymore how she colored those PEELED eggs but they were BEAUTIFUL AND SHE PUT A PIMENTO FILLED GREEN OLIVE ON WITH A TOOTHPICK AND TOLD THE KIDS THEY WERE SICK DUCKS........LOLOL.....cause they had eaten too much candy.

Oh meeeeeeeee....this is OLD STUFF........probably things that we did about 60 years ago. Cause I still had an Easter Bunny visiting ME.:faint:

Blaze2
04-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Thanks Engel & Cheese for two new recipes that I've sure never made!
Our table needs something different and this Sunday
would be a good day to introduce a few new dishes.
.....luvved the story about the colored eggs!
Thanks again, turning on the printer now! :thumbsup:

CHRISTISAM2001
04-14-2006, 11:46 AM
My grandmaw always made english pea salad
2 cans early peas (the kind in the silver can) drained and rinsed
chopped onion
couple of boiled eggs
mayo
just a little green onion
and a little chopped bell pepper

i am making this for easter, i make it every year to carry on her tradition!!

engel
04-14-2006, 07:17 PM
I'll be making the fruit salad (again) the Sun. after Easter for a family get-together, but I have to turn down a trip to Delaware. Wouldn't be back in time to get it done, and trying to get the house ready to put on the market, anyway, so guess it's okay---this time. Older son lives in DE, but works at a nuclear plant in NJ, and is on nights all month this month, & wouldn't have time to visit.

PUMPKIN
04-14-2006, 08:01 PM
:p I MAKE HOT POTATO SALAD

USE MIXER
COOK 10 MEDIUM POTATOES CUT UP
AFTER THE POTATOES ARE DONE.
DRAIN OFF WATER.
ADD SALT AND PEPPER FOR TASTE
ADD 1/2 STICK OF BUTTER
MIX ALL TOGETHER

ADD 1/2 CUP OF FINELY CUT ONIONS
ADD 1/2 CUP OF SWEET PICKLE RALISH
ADD 3 FINELY CUT UP BOILED EGGS
ADD 2 TABLESPOONS OF SALAD DRESSIN
MIX WELL WITH MIXER.:D

:applause: HOPE EVERYONE HAS A VERY GOOD EASTER.:applause:

Blaze2
04-16-2006, 07:51 AM
Looks delishios Pumpkin!

Here is a site that has lots of good recipes.
This time it's for Easter, but you can have them send
you updated recipes all through the year.
Some good looking recipes here, Breakfast Casserole & Spinish Quiche!

ENJOY:
http://easter.allrecipes.com/default.asp?ARBMID=458&ARFMTID=1

IslandGirl
04-16-2006, 05:54 PM
I found something out today that I didn't know about my mother...she LOVES cheesecake! I found this recipe in my Cooking Light magazine, and was immediately drawn to it because of the lower fat content. Anyway, mum and I haven't been on speaking terms (not too friendly anyway) these last few months. To my shock, she invited us for lunch today. I asked what i could bring and she said 'nothing...just come.' So I decided to make a few things, and one of them was this cheesecake....but I had no idea that it was her favourite:eek: So imagine my shock when she said, 'mmmmm, this is a delicious cake.' And she wasn't lying...she had 3 slices (not in one sitting) :D

I guess this will become a new Easter tradition at my home.

Cheesecake:
1/2 cup sugar
20 reduced-calorie vanilla wafers
1/8 teaspoon salt, divided
3 large egg whites, divided
Cooking spray
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 (8-ounce) blocks 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (4 ounces) block-style fat-free cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
4 large eggs
Strawberries (optional)

Sauce:
4 cups sliced strawberries (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350°.
To prepare cheesecake, place 1/2 cup sugar, wafers, and dash salt in a food processor; process until mixture resembles sand. Place 1 egg white in a small bowl; stir with a whisk until frothy. With the processor on, add 2 tablespoons egg white through food chute, processing until blended (discard remaining egg white). Firmly press mixture into bottom and slightly up sides of an 8-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes; cool completely on a wire rack.

Reduce oven to 300°.

Combine 1 1/2 cups sugar, 3 tablespoons cornstarch, and remaining dash salt in a large bowl. Add cheeses; beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until smooth. Reduce mixer speed to low. Add vanilla and 1 teaspoon juice; beat just until combined. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition just until incorporated. Add remaining 2 egg whites; beat just until incorporated.

Pour cheese mixture into prepared pan. Bake at 300° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a 3-inch circle in the center of the cheesecake barely jiggles when the side of the pan is tapped. Turn oven off. Leave cheesecake in oven with the door open for 30 minutes. Remove cheesecake from oven; run a knife around outside edge. Cool to room temperature on a wire rack. Cover and chill at least 8 hours. Garnish cake with strawberries, if desired.

To prepare sauce, combine sliced strawberries, 1/2 cup water, and 2 tablespoons sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Strain mixture through a sieve into a bowl, pressing lightly with a spatula; discard solids. Return mixture to pan. Combine 1 tablespoon water and 2 teaspoons cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add cornstarch mixture to pan. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Transfer mixture to a bowl; cool to room temperature. Stir in 2 teaspoons juice.