PDA

View Full Version : line question

BIGDADDY
07-15-2005, 11:17 AM
I have had a fly rod for a few years but never used it. I bought a new rod from the bass pro shop when I was on vacation in Branson. I just put the fly line on it. Do I net to put a fly line backing on it? Is it really important that I do this? Like I said I am new to fly fishing and just wanted to know.

SilverMallard
07-15-2005, 01:55 PM
You must put backing and attach the fly line to the backing. If you're just getting started, a great place for info is www.flyanglersonline.com There is a whole beginner section I think is called "Fly Fishing 101." There are instructions on there for how to set up your rod and reel including the right knots and how to tie them. Check it out.

SemperFly
07-16-2005, 01:44 PM
Backing is an important part of your set up. However, how much backing depends on what type of fish your after. If your going to be fishing just little creeks and streams, you dont need to put 100 ft of backing on. 25 ft should do just fine. However if your fishing larger waters for bass, or large trout you should use as much backing as possible.
I have been into a some very large trout that have taken me to the backing very quickly.
What weight is your fly rod? and also do you have a regular reel or a large arbor?

John