PDA

View Full Version : Lake Taneycomo Branson Trout Possession Limits

troutlover
05-31-2005, 10:03 AM
Hello,
I am coming to Branson next week from out of state to do some fishing. I already have my license and stamp but I need to know the limit of fish I can take home. I don't want to get into any trouble with the wildlife guys. Thanks for any help.

SilverMallard
05-31-2005, 10:20 AM
In the lake below Fall Creek you can keep any Rainbow of any size and Browns over 20". In the lake above Fall Creek and to the dam you can keep any Rainbow under 12" and over 20" and any Brown over 20". You can keep only one Brown per day and up to four Rainbows with an aggregate limit of four trout per day(no matter where you're fishing). In other words, you can keep 4 legal Rainbows, or 3 legal Rainbows and one legal Brown. Your total possession limit cannot exceed twice the daily bag limit...or 8 trout.

troutlover
05-31-2005, 09:40 PM
Anglers spend thousands of dollars per trip and can only keep 4 trout? Why in the hell would anyone come to Branson to fish? I have already paid for this trip but unless limits are changed I for one won't be back.

TheOleSeagull
06-01-2005, 04:11 AM
Anglers spend thousands of dollars per trip and can only keep 4 trout? Why in the hell would anyone come to Branson to fish? I have already paid for this trip but unless limits are changed I for one won't be back.

As is the case with all fisheries in the state, Lake Taneyco's posession limits are established by the state. The 4 trout daily and 8 trout total in possession applies to the whole state of Missouri. Prior to this year it was 5 trout per day and 10 total.

There are a lot of trout fishermen that practice catch and release. Threre are people that spend thousdands of dollars going to fishing lodges and resorts in Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Alaska etc. just for the thrill of catching trout knowing full well in advance that they must release all trout caught. River Run outfitters in Branson operates under this philosophy.

"Why in the hell would anyone come to Branson to fish?" Because hour for hour on the water, Lake Taneycomo is one of the most productive trout fisheries in the midwest in terms of numbers.

Don't let the difference between 5 trout per day and 4 trout per day keep you away and miss the joys of fishing my favorite Lake and spending time in my home area, Branson, Missouri.

troutlover
06-01-2005, 08:15 AM
Hey Oleseagull,

I can understand why you would defend your part of the country. Branson is a beautiful place. I have fished taneycomo for only five years but I do love coming up there. I am just not happy with the state changing the limits of fish you can keep. I was planning on having a fish fry with fresh trout when I got back home but I don't know if I will have enough. I will be bringing my daughter so together we can bring home 16 fish total. I just hope they are all fairly big trout. I will be up there June 8 - 12. I have talked with the folks at the resort I will be staying at and they told me that the generators have not been running much and the fishing is terriffic. I look forward to my trip. I guess I just kind of needed to vent a little when I found out the limits were lowered. I came last year and caught over 100 trout in a week. I ate a few there and brought home 10. So I too do catch and release most of what I catch. Thanks friend.

TheOleSeagull
06-01-2005, 08:25 AM
Troutlover, Just came off the water after fishing for about two hours. Caught about 25-30 trout with one 14 inch Brown. My neighbor Howard Couch caught about 35-40 with two over 16 inches. Most averaged in the 11-14 inch area. Hope you have a great trip. God Bless.

ggh
06-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Let's not forget, that lowering the limit means in the years to come, there will be more BIG trout to be caught... :)