PDA

View Full Version : I need ideas!

ThunderHockeyFan
11-30-2004, 04:29 PM
We have this group that gets together once a month to eat and visit. At Christmas we always exchange gifts. For the last several years I have just been making candy, cookies, bread, etc. and making a plate full for each person. Well I have been making the same old stuff each year. The party is this Sunday so I have started baking but I need some new recipes for this year. So anyone want to help me out by sharing some of their favorite Christmas candy recipes?

Cheesecake
11-30-2004, 06:48 PM
Making Christmas candy the fun fast way...or the fast fun way?

I am not sure whether I did this with Girl Scouts or Cub Scouts, but it was one or the other.......

Did you ever try these? You get little pretzels, and place them on a cookie sheet (you just pack them on), and you buy those white candy discs, put one on each pretzel, and then put the cookie sheet in the oven at 350 for a couple of minutes, just until you see the candy get shiny on top. Then, you have a bowl ready of green and red M & M's, and you stick one on each candy disc. Gotta work fast lol. Let them cool, and they are delicious and so pretty for Christmas.

Now I didnt have the luxury of the new M & M's, with the new colors......but, we just put any color on....

We used to use Hersey's kisses too...and now there are the white chocolate kisses with dark choc swirls......

And, there are so many interesting sprinkles......

This pretzel/candy combo...tastes really good.

Anyway, fun stuff to do with kids and grandkids, and before long..a great grand kid......oh meeeeeeeeeeeee.

I did little fancy bags for everyone one year...got some Mertz's 1 pound tubs of Wine flav cheese, and put in an apple and an orange, a couple of homemade gingerbread boys/girls ;).......and some Almonds and Walnuts. A couple Orange flavored English Tea bags...and a couple of cinnamon sticks.......and, a short little stack of fancy crackers.....a lunch for a couple of days at work........oh I added a cute little plastic spoon and a knife.....

(I gave these to our truck drivers as a party favor.......roflol.....you cannot give them a little thing.........but, they looked like deer dazed in the headlights.......that was better than what they got at trickertreat a couple of months before.....hehehehhehehehhehe.......you gotta visualize, these big ol wooly rednecks, with big moustashes...holding their little fancy bags....roflol......but they said it sure tasted good, out somewhere east of Nashville.........;))

OKCtraveler
11-30-2004, 07:58 PM
I have used various kinds of cheese balls, popcorn balls with peanuts and
m & m's, cheese and fruit snacks, also party mix made with cereals and nuts, etc. It gets away from so many sweets. Also little boxes of raisins usually go over good.

Nashinga
12-01-2004, 06:53 AM
I'm makng 60 jars of hot chocolate mix for gifts.
Hazelnut, Chocolate, French Vanilla, Cinammon.
It's become a requirement. It's quick and easy to do.

The Hot Chocolate replaced the Reindeer Bait I used to make every year.
Hot Chocolate mix is cheaper than Reindeer Bait too. (Thanks to Sams)
but I still have people who want Reindeer Bait. It's chex mix, pretzel, M&M's and peanuts covered in almond bark.

VBeason
12-01-2004, 08:07 AM
I found a new favorite recipe. It is called Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake and I got it off of the Food Network website (www.foodtv.com). It was on an episode of Paula's Home Cooking and being from the south -- it is loaded with flavor. Doesn't take too much, 1/2 pound of butter, yellow cake mix, cream cheese, can of pumpkin, powdered sugar, cinnamon and I think 4 eggs. Anyway if you go to the website and to the search for recipes and type in the title, you should get it right away. If you don't, let me know and I'll go there and copy it. It was sooooo good and it was the hit at Thanksgiving dinner. They said perfect way to serve was warm with whipped topping and it is soooooo rich! You can cut into small squares and it is plenty. They also had variations using pinneapple, even a chocolate peanut butter one that I have to fix for hubby since he is my peanut butter freak (right along with me). LOL.

Vickie